Pathfinder 1E Returning to D&D 3.75 er I mean Pathfinder

qstor

Adventurer
Welcome back! I've run and played 5e a few times. I just prefer PF. I heard somewhere that basically PF has rules for everything and 5E forces the DM to make up rules for everything. I think that PF is just what I prefer.

I think the artwork for 5e is ok. I don't like the sparse release schedule and what I see is a continuing tendency from 4e to make D&D "compatible" for every setting rather than say...Well...there are no orcs in Dragonlance so orcs DON'T fit. Tales of the Yawning Portal made rules to place the adventures in the Realms. But the Tomb of Horrors was in Greyhawk.

Also this is nit picky but the standard starting equipment for PC classes doesn't give much flexibility. What IF you wanted a ranger with a shield...well you get the starting equipment and a shield isn't among a rangers starting equipment. And the paths for the classes are limited. It makes people want to buy 3rd party 5e supplements which tend to be unbalanced.

A lot of my friends like 5e and if they're happy more power to them. I just prefer PF.

discosoc

First Post
I like the core pathfinder rules, but the constant addition of player's guides just got really tiresome to keep track of. It's basically a game that I'm fine playing if someone is running it, but I won't touch it as a GM.

DragonMan

First Post
You can cut down on the admin nightmare by making up lots of stuff about NPCs and monsters as you go along, even things not in the rules. That way, you can be sure your players can't look up monsters either, which, in times of the internet, is a well known problem.

I am fortunate that I'm able to avoid the problem of players meta-gaming. I'm currently running an aquatic PF campaign using Cerulean Seas. That book can only be seen by buying it. And I'm slowly revealing the monsters one at a time. So with no name, they have no way of looking them up on the internet.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Glad you have hopefully found the game for you and your group! I play both 5e and PF on a weekly basis. PF scratches my "fiddly customization" itch and 5e scratches my "speedy play" itch. It's also why i'm looking forward to STarfinder for a mix of both.

One other thing that really impressed me about D&D 3.75 was seeing on utube the Paizo owners actually playing their products and really seemed to enjoy themselves. Does the WoTC CEO or Hasbro CEO do that? Probably not.

Anyway, cant wait to dive into D&D 3.75 and have a ton of fun.

I don't know about the CEOs, but the WotC D&D crew, Critical Role, and a bunch of others seem to be, even Mike Mearls:

http://nerdist.com/lets-play-dungeons-dragons-5th-edition-at-the-wizards-of-the-coast-offices/

So each brand of dogfood is pretty tasty, apparently. :)

From a GM perspective, I also recommend the monster quick-creation rules and class template rules from monster codex, too, they make flavorful monsters very easy to craft and run.

Well, I really tried to get into D&D 5E, DM'ed it for 2 years in total and it just seemed way to simplistic as I gained more experience playing it. It lacked depth, the art work was just god awful, it basically and as much as I tried to like it, just was not my players nor my cup o joe.

With D&D 3.75, I feel I am back in familiar ground, the players have a ton of options to make the character they truly want to play and have fun both making their character and having fun. I on the other hand can now craft some really unique foes to put up against my players and have fun doing that though I will admit, D&D 3.75 is a DM's Admin nightmare at times and there is no doubt about that.

One other thing that really impressed me about D&D 3.75 was seeing on utube the Paizo owners actually playing their products and really seemed to enjoy themselves. Does the WoTC CEO or Hasbro CEO do that? Probably not.

Anyway, cant wait to dive into D&D 3.75 and have a ton of fun.

After PF and 3.X, I'm unable to play 5E without adding some of that in, so I appreciate where you're coming from in returning to PF. Too much goodness in PF to leave it behind for 5E, though initially, I did go the opposite direction and use 5E as my base while using as much 3.X/PF, 0E/SW/LL/BX, 1E/2E, C&C, and DCC RPG as I wanted. Ultimately, using PF as a base just made the most sense for my game.

Hope you enjoy PF.

Last edited:

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Lots of PF bestiaries and books with NPCs to use, most available legally and searchable in the SRDs on the web. This is where my NPCs come from. Building my own NPCs from the ground up in PF is just too much work for me. Only the PCs get that kind of attention.

Except you can get that book in dozens of downloads. I know many of my players have it and they are a bit miffed I won't use it until they all have legal copies.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Exactly, I do the same thing, if you do not have a legal copy, it is not in the game. People work hard on this stuff and deserve to be compensated accordingly. If your going to steal IE D/L illegal copies of these books, than you are just like that orange POS in the WH trump.

Scott

Except you can get that book in dozens of downloads. I know many of my players have it and they are a bit miffed I won't use it until they all have legal copies.

Remove ads