Starfinder Is Starfinder Right For Me?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
The first D&D campaign I played in was a homebrew AD&D 2e science fantasy game. The DM was awesome about blending vanilla D&D with Spelljammer, Star Wars, and a ton of GURPS. This campaign sparked a lifelong love of science fantasy RPGs.

For years, I’ve tried to find a more modern way of replicating that feel, but nothing seemed to fit. I could find things like Dragonstar, which added on to D&D, but nothing fully integrated.

Then Starfinder came along. Suddenly, here was a science fantasy setting that seemed to integrate D&D into sci-fi. Thematically, it’s a lot of what I want. Plus those skittermanders are so adorable!

However, my preferred game system of choice is D&D 5e. It just clicks with me. I enjoy it and love the lore. The problem is, there’s not a 5e-compatible science fantasy system/setting that really grabs me.

I played a little Pathfinder 1e, but not Pathfinder 2e. The newer edition kind of makes my head spin when I look at it. The idea of PF 2e and SF 2e being compatible with each other is great and allows for more of the types of characters I would like to play, but again, my head is just spinning.

I like Starfinder as a setting, but I’m not anxious to learn a new system for it. Heck, I don’t even fully know the current system. Never had much opportunity to play it.

I’ve looked at 5e alternatives. Esper Genesis is nicely done, but I’m not enthusiastic about the setting or the races. It’s more of a pure sci-fi game. Dark Matter appears to be a decent add-on to D&D 5e, but it’s not quite got that setting I want.

So what do I do? How do I approach this?

Reynard

Legend
All the rules for Starfinder are available on Archives of Nethys, so you can peruse them there and get a sense of how the game integrates magic and tech in the mechanics. Generally speaking, Starfinder is a polished Pathfinder 1E with a more controlled power ramp.

I like the game, and think the setting is fun. Like Pathfinder's Golarion, it is a kitchen sink setting where you'll find everything from Star Wars to Dead Space to Dune.

Retreater

Legend
I'm just now looking at Starfinder 1e to introduce to my players. The Beginner Box uses a more streamlined rule set, and isn't that challenging to port over to the other products. So we might just stay Beginner Box rules for the length of time we're with the system.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What makes your head spin about the SF/PF2? Do you play in person with books, or online with VTT?

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
What makes your head spin about the SF/PF2? Do you play in person with books, or online with VTT?
It's kind of hard to explain. As I understand it, there are a number of feats for just about anything. In a sense, it reminds me of True20. I just know that when I look at rulebooks, I feel overwhelmed with the amount of crunch and choices.

I typically play in person with physical books, but have played some online with Roll20.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's kind of hard to explain. As I understand it, there are a number of feats for just about anything. In a sense, it reminds me of True20. I just know that when I look at rulebooks, I feel overwhelmed with the amount of crunch and choices.

I typically play in person with physical books, but have played some online with Roll20.
So, I get the overwhelming reputation of Pathfinder around feats. However, PF2 has done a lot of work to silo the feats into little buckets that make leveling very easy. Your first level chargen will have a decent amount of choices, but from there each level is add a number to everything and pick a feat from a choice of about 3-5 feats. Also, based on your first level choices, that list will likely become obvious and be between 1-2 feats to choose. It is not as daunting as it appears. Also, multiclassing has been severely restricted along with archetypes so that wont complicate things much and is easy to say no to for a first stab at the game.

What might get complicated at the table is all the combat maneuvers and conditions. Applying them is easy, it usually adjusts the number up or down 1-2 points. Tracking them and understanding what they effect can get a bit difficult and will take time to learn. Foundry VTT is a marvel and does all of that work for you with a few mouse clicks. Of course, that means playing with a VTT either together or across the net.

The timing is pretty good for having an interest in SF because they are looking at updating it to be compatible with PF2. That means a lot of free playtest packets will be coming. Many discussions will be happening on Paizo.com forums and PF discord as well. If you keep your ear to the ground, you will see all the development along with play experience.

If you really want a good sneak peak, head over to Archives of Nethys. You can learn everything about the game in a very detailed and organized website.

What might get complicated at the table is all the combat maneuvers and conditions. Applying them is easy, it usually adjusts the number up or down 1-2 points. Tracking them and understanding what they effect can get a bit difficult and will take time to learn. Foundry VTT is a marvel and does all of that work for you with a few mouse clicks. Of course, that means playing with a VTT either together or across the net.
I agree. The feat system seems overwhelming until you actually start making a character and realize the overwhelming majority of feats just aren't even options. It gets even narrower if you just stick to what is in the Core Rulebook while you get used to things. The first character took me a bit to sort through, but it went a lot quicker the second pass through.

Lojaan

Hero
I came across to PF2 after the OGL fiasco and not going to lie, I almost rage quit twice because of how beginner unfriendly it is (compared to 5e) but Hot Damn I'm glad I stuck with it. Now I look at 5e and can't help but see it as a broken, lop sided mess. I even cringe when I watch CR or Dimension 20 and see how the combat is either boring or shenanigans instead of tactics. Plus it's really obvious how uneven it is when a casters turn goes for 20min and whipes half the board, and then a martial is "I attack twice".

That said, Starfinder 2e is like 2 years away. Have you checked out Star Wars 5e? Star Wars 5e

It has a very good reputation. Dimension 20 used the ruleset for their Starstruck Odyssey series.

Remove ads