D&D 5E How are you using Tales from the Yawning Portal?

How are you using Tales from the Yawning Portal?

• I'm running (or ran) one or more of the adventures, but not all of them.

Votes: 27 39.7%
  • I plan to run every adventure.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I'm just using it for inspiration.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • I'm not using it at all.

Votes: 16 23.5%

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
There is one odd thing that i am trying to do though. I'm far more comfortable running games theatre of the mind than on a grid map, so I'm trying to see if I can adapt one of these traditional dungeons in such a way that I could run it without a map or minis, and have it still be fun and compelling, and not totally obnoxious. I'm starting with Sunless Citadel.
It was the opposite for me. I'm used to running things with a map and a grid, so for Sunless Citadel, I switched to theater-of-the-mind. It was a fun experiment. Coincidentally, I also tried a lot of new rules variants, mostly to recapture the feel of previous editions (all official variants from the DMG and PHB). If there's one thing I can say for Tales, it's that it has given me the freedom to try new things that I wouldn't ordinarily do in a 5-month campaign.

S'mon

Legend
I'm planning to use it to drop modular adventures into my ongoing 5e campaigns, and hopefully have an easy to use resource whenever I want to play D&D. The giant adventures should be handy for my Shattered Star/Rise of the Runelords game, and possibly for my Wilderlands multi-group campaign. Lower level stuff can either go in Wilderlands for lower level groups, or possibly use it with the Skull & Shackles 5e campaign I'm planning to start in early August.

Basically for me I see the value as being "These are good, reliable, time tested adventure modules that I know will work and that thematically can fit into a variety of campaigns".

CydKnight

Explorer
I am actually a player that began with Tier I Adventurer's League legal characters in an ongoing adventure campaign that will run through all adventures in Tales From the Yawning Portal. I believe all of us got through Forge of Fury at Level 5 and we have just begun the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan.

Greenmtn

Explorer
Running 1 now, no current plans to run all of them but I probably will eventually as long as interest in them is there for the players.

I am currently running the PCs through The Glacial Rift of the Frost Jarl, inserted into our Out of the Abyss campaign. Instead of the boring secret passage between the Tower of Araj and Menzoberranzan, I gave them the choice of taking the Path of Ice or the Path of Fire. One was the aforementioned Rift, the other, of course, is the Hall of the Fire Giant King.

Other than that, I still have an unscratched itch to run Tomb of Horrors, albeit with one-off characters.

Kalshane

First Post
I haven't run it yet. Currently reading through the book and Hidden Shrine isn't really grabbing me as a DM, so I imagine I probably won't run that one. Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury at least seem serviceable.

Remove ads