Starfinder I just played Starfinder

myatomicgard3n

First Post
The spoilers Paizo has been releasing on their blog include some pretty substantial differences.

None of these really make me feel it's not going to play a whole lot different than PF.

1. This is pretty neat and I'll see how it plays out.

2. 2 different ACs doesn't really change a whole lot since PF already had different ACs for situations. Removing touch and flat is nice though.

3. Eh, doesn't really feel a whole lot different.

4. Nice, but doesn't really feel a whole lot different.

5. Already felt like that anyways with every game I've played of PF. And I've never been in a game where people actually focused on components.

rooneg

Adventurer
None of these really make me feel it's not going to play a whole lot different than PF.

1. This is pretty neat and I'll see how it plays out.

2. 2 different ACs doesn't really change a whole lot since PF already had different ACs for situations. Removing touch and flat is nice though.

3. Eh, doesn't really feel a whole lot different.

4. Nice, but doesn't really feel a whole lot different.

5. Already felt like that anyways with every game I've played of PF. And I've never been in a game where people actually focused on components.

I think the more interesting changes are actually the ones not in that blog post (although I'm in love with the HP -> HP/SP/Resolve split, I think it's really significant). They seem to be going out of their way to rebalance the martial/caster split a bit. The casters in the core rulebook are all spontaneous casters that max out at 6th level spells. That, combined with the fact that martials can do magical seeming stuff and just fluff it as "technology" (i.e. one of the higher level abilities for the Operative is something like "vanish in place", it's not magic, but it's the sort of thing that would have been magic in Pathfinder) make me optimistic that you're not going to feel like a chump if you're playing a Soldier or Operative.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Hope ya had fun.

Anytime I see black space hexsheets, I think Star Fleet Battles or Universe.... :shudder:

Any option for non gridded "narrative" starship battles?

SFB really hit my "crunchy wargame" needs. Used to love it. But I wouldn't want to get it on my RPGs, much like how the Mechwarrior RPG back in the '80s failed to deliver a nice fusion of mech battles and RPG.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Technically, EAC is Touch AC in most cases. Although some armor add a little bit too.

All armors add more KAC (physical AC) than EAC. Thought that was a wasted opportunity to not have a high EAC and low KAC armor (situationally good armor idea).

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Starfinder is not a reskin of Pathfinder, that's what Starjammer is. Starfinder is kind of a cross between Pathfinder and D&D 5e with a sci-fi flavor. Characters are weak, but weapons are strong, combat is more streamlined and faster - most only get a single attack per round with devastating weapons doing the big damage. Feats and spells brought from PF are somewhat nerfed - Haste grants double movement, not an extra attack, for example. You don't roll for HP, races grant a defined amount of HP per level, your class choice grants a defined amount of HP per level. Though I've only really system mastered the starship building rules, since I have a lot of existing starship designs (that I designed using Traveller RPG rules) that need to be converted to Starfinder, so I've spent most of my time learning those rules and converting ships. All in all Starfinder is inspired by, and brings some PF along, but for the most part it's a different game.

Oh and comparing Traveller ship design to Starfinder, Traveller is heavily resource dependent game forcing you to track credits and fuel. Fuel on a Starfinder ship comes from the Power Core, essentially a core tap reactor used to power everything on the ship and no defined scale or tonnage requirements though different Power Cores provide varying amounts of PCU (power core units). So while a Traveller ship requires almost 50% or more of it's internal tonnage space to fuel - fuel in Starfinder is almost hand-waved, you never need to refuel.

There are plenty of Pathfinder fans that are complaining (slightly) that this isn't anything like Pathfinder - you judge from that.

Last edited:

Are Pathfinder monster stats compatible? Can I use them out of the book?

There's a couple numbers that need to be tweaked (CMD is changed, there's Energy AC or EAC which is regular AC -2, and a couple potential tweaks to attacks). And you'd want to use monsters that don't rely on feats too much....
But mostly monsters are the same. The math of hp/ saves/ AC/ save DCs is pretty much the same as Pathfinder.

Remove ads