D&D 5E Building a better Fighter

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok. Why does "The Fighter Fights" need to be challenged in order to add design elements to it?

I think you have what I would call an enlightened "The Fighter Fights" design theory. I hear you saying: "Yeah, the fighter fights, of course, and (s)he also can/should..."

In my mind that's close enough to what I'm saying.

However, not everyone advocating "The Fighter Fights" makes that leap you have to realizing that adding other things to the fighter is perfectly in keeping with the class' literary/mythological influences & its historical themes in older editions of D&D, and is actually desirable.

See @Sacrosanct 's response to this. When you said Basic (or "BD&D") the Rules Cyclopedia was not what I was [mentally] referencing. I've never seen/read it, but it undoubtedly had some editing, cleaned up and/or expanded fluff writing, and at least a few rules tweaks/expansions to the original material. I also do not consider/default thinking to "2e" when mentioning "AD&D." As significantly more similar it is to 1e as opposed to/compared with 3e, only heightened by the company's change of hands betwixt 2-to-3e, 2e is still a significantly "different" edition to THE [original] A-D&D.

Gotcha. Yeah, my gaming experience is definitely non-traditional. When I was playing 1e I was a kid and don't really remember the details. The formative D&D experiences that I remember most clearly came from the the Rules Cyclopedia, the Black Box, and AD&D2e.

You are correct. That is exactly my answer. The "cause" for your PC to do ANYthing is up to the player...it is the same regardless of class. Especially the "big 4/building block" classes upon and from which all other classes flow. Causes can become more built-in and narrower/specific the further from those classes you get.

Making a "cause" intrinsic class fluff is what gets you to Paladins, Monks, and Rangers...maybe barbarians...druids and warlocks (though clearly not branching from the Fighter), too.

But, ok. So you would like to build "prestige class" style player options into the class at a higher level? I don't think 5e would really approve/work that way. Also, then, as you noted in your example, the option to not be beholden to some liege or temple is then stripped from the player.

So, I'm gonna veer toward the "I don't really see cause as a legitimate place to insert broadening mechanical oomph into the Fighter" side.

Actually, I had sub-classes in the back of my mind when I was giving that example about name level Paladin/Knight/Avenger traveling fighters in the Rules Cyclopedia.

I think 3rd level is a good place to ask the question of a fighter player: OK, you've had some experience figuring out you character and learning the rules over 1st and 2nd level, now tell us what is your fighter fighting for?

Right then, so we've pretty much covered this.
1. They fight better with higher HD, Second Wind, and Indomitable keeping them on their feet longer and being able to "take a hit" and keep fighting.
2. Fighting Styles & Extra Attacks see to it they hit more frequently, more reliably, and/or result in dealing more damage than the average bear.
3. Action Surge also gets them a little extra...well, "action" as well which, while not having to be additional attacks, I suspect often are. Or stuff like moving to/taking on a different opponent when their first goes down. Also helping them "fight better."

Well, not entirely, no. As we've both, now, noted:
1. Paladins, Rangers, Barbarians, and Monks...even Valor Bards!...all get "Extra Attacks." Which really kind screws the Fighter's pooch as far as that being a "Fighter" thing.
2. Paladins and Rangers get Fighting Styles. Again, making them not a "Fighter" thing, but clearly a more broad "warrior-types" thing.
3. Several classes have "recharging" mechanics which, while not being "Second Wind" can serve to keep them fighting/in the field beyond their initial limits.
4. Cunning Action is, basically, though more narrowly, the Fighter's "Action Surge" for Thieves: get an extra action in on your turn. I presume there might be another class or two with features that permit additional actions, though perhaps not as open/undefined as the Fighter's.

I see what you're saying – that the fighter's substantive difference is "silver buckshot", it's an aggregate of a bunch of features that, if examined individually, aren't substantially different than (and often outright replicated in) other classes.

What's interesting for me personally is that I find Cunning Action creates a stronger identity for a rogue than Action Surge does for a fighter. I read Cunning Action and immediately my inner instigator/mischief-maker smiles, and all these ideas come pouring in about the tricks I could pull with it. However, I read Action Surge and I'm left without any clear sense of what it's supposed to be; only in play do I realize that, yes, it can reinforce the "fighter feel", but it doesn't leap off the page and inspire my imagination like Cunning Action. To me, Action Surge feels tepid, luke warm in comparison – even if it's mechanically a fine feature.

I, personally, would probably have spent more time than it seems they did on those "other two pillars of adventure" we hear a lot of lip service about, but many if not most classes don't really seem to have any kind of usefulness in at least one pillar each.

As an extension of my argument/thesis, I'd say the fighter is disproportionately hamstrung in terms of unique features spotlighting Exploration & Interaction compared to all other classes in the PHB.

Beyond that, as least as far as I can tell (and don't mind) in 5e, it's up to the subclasses to flesh out...and/or play up one or two pillars beyond the others, rely on different secondary abilities (is there a Dex-fighter in there? Is there a Smart/Int-Fighter in there?), and generally inject specific fluff/story pieces.

Absolutely. We can agree that placing the mechanistic differentiation of the fighter class into Battle Master & Champion did a disservice to its subclasses, and thus to the Exploration & Interaction empowerment of the fighter.

..."What's your Cause?," "How you Fight Better?," and "Is it suitably Different than Other Classes?" Those 3 questions?

They are perfectly fine questions to ask if you wish to get to the answers you are looking for. lol.

Touché. So you feel those are not worthwhile (or perhaps biased) questions to put front and center when designing the fighter class? What would your design questions be?

Alright. So, we are clear then...base fighter class needs at least one exploration feature, one interactions feature.

Absolutely it does.

I might suggest, whether it is a base or sub class thing I'm not sure, but looking to the ranger's expertise...what if Fighters (and fighters alone) were given some kind of "Dungeoneer/Explorer" feature that gave them advantages to exploratory things during adventures?

Yep, that makes sense. That was my approach in designing "Camp Talents" for my fighter homebrew.

Some kind of innate leadership quality definitely strikes me as a sub-class thing.

In other words, leave it to the subclasses for the players to decide what they want their place in the world to be and become. Make a subclass that can ascend to a political/feudal spot, if they so choose. But I don't see how you can make that a base class feature/line/built-in flavor for the Fighter...not without ticking off a lot of people.

That seems like a sound strategy to me.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Touché. So you feel those are not worthwhile (or perhaps biased) questions to put front and center when designing the fighter class? What would your design questions be?

I don't know that I'd say they're not "worthwhile." Simply that they were constructed to lead one to the conclusions you sought. i.e. You have what you would like to see...your "answers", already. Those questions simply bring you to those answers. Putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I think, given my predisposition for "fairness" and no small degree of symmetry, the questions to put front and center for the Fighter are the same as you should put forward for any class worthy of being its own class.

1. What does this archetype do? What is it supposed to do within the party/gaming experience?

We know this. The Fighter fights. They should be up front with their weapons -whether charging for personal glory or defending their fellows. They should be capable of dealing more damage and taking more hits than other classes in a hand-to-hand melee situation.

We have determined, and expanded on that to include, they should also have some degree of competency in the exploration and interaction areas. But that long-reaching goals, such as "causes" or a character's future interests, are best determined and confined to the specific archetypes of the subclasses.

2. What does it need to do that?

Think we've pretty much covered all of this.

3. Is this an overarching "broad" archetype that can handle a lot of different [historical, mythological, cultural, etc...] interpretations and character concepts? Or is it more narrowly defined and have intrinsic and/or limited fluff defining features that all members (i.e., any subclass) must share to warrant this archetype?

I think we all agree, in the case of the Fighter, it is the former. Paladin, Druid, Warlock, Bard would be examples of the latter.

NOW, if we want to ask what makes a suitable SUB-class for the Fighter? Those might be different questions and can sustain different answers.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread -apologies for not looking up whom- the idea of making the Fighting Styles, themselves, the subclasses.

I find this to be an intriguing idea. Not solely the subclasses, of course. But it lends itself to the established design of using the Fighter subclasses to mechanically differentiate themselves moreso than other classes more "story" distinctions or the larger more fluff/story different distinctions I think [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] is looking for.

Though there is no reason this has to be an "Either/Or" proposition and there is certainly room in 5e's subclass design for them to be both.

The flexibility of being able to have the "Simple Fighter" be a great swordsman or a morningstar n' shield guy or an archer or dual-wielding hammers or lugging around a battle axe, and allowing the same options for the Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight, does seem preferable to making one choose a single "Style" speciality in their subclass.

But I feel like there's something to this idea...a way to make it work...in the subclasses, as well, I mean.

LapBandit

First Post
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread -apologies for not looking up whom- the idea of making the Fighting Styles, themselves, the subclasses.

I find this to be an intriguing idea. Not solely the subclasses, of course. But it lends itself to the established design of using the Fighter subclasses to mechanically differentiate themselves moreso than other classes more "story" distinctions or the larger more fluff/story different distinctions I think @Quickleaf is looking for.

Though there is no reason this has to be an "Either/Or" proposition and there is certainly room in 5e's subclass design for them to be both.

The flexibility of being able to have the "Simple Fighter" be a great swordsman or a morningstar n' shield guy or an archer or dual-wielding hammers or lugging around a battle axe, and allowing the same options for the Battlemaster or Eldritch Knight, does seem preferable to making one choose a single "Style" speciality in their subclass.

But I feel like there's something to this idea...a way to make it work...in the subclasses, as well, I mean.

Fighters should get all or close to all the Fighting Styles over the course of their careers IMHO. They aren't concentrating on casting spells, raging, ki, etc. They are just fighting, and they don't figure out other styles in all that time? Seems silly.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Excellent point.

Very similar to something I do in my homebrew system.

No reason 5e could add "acquire new Fighting Style" at least once in the subclass level. Maybe once at high levels in the base class. So, by around 10th or 15th you have 3 possible Fighting Styles to choose from.

Would certainly make you "more capable at fighting" and "different than other classes" with that. Paladins and Rangers get Fighting Styles. Sure. But only the Fighter gets multiple ones.

I like it.

Quickleaf

Legend

I find this to be an intriguing idea. Not solely the subclasses, of course. But it lends itself to the established design of using the Fighter subclasses to mechanically differentiate themselves moreso than other classes more "story" distinctions or the larger more fluff/story different distinctions I think [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION] is looking for.

Yeah, that's certainly one route that seems popular with video games like Neverwinter or Dragon Age. And "Archer" is probably a more readily grasped concept than "Battle Master" or "Champion." It's still an almost purely mechanistic differentiation – which I don't think is what the fighter needs in its subclasses – but I see why it's attractive.

Again, I look back to the Rules Cyclopedia's Weapon Mastery rules. Now, in the original rules weapon mastery wasn't exclusive to the fighter (who only got an extra 2 "points" of weapon mastery @1st-level and an extra 3 "points" at higher levels compared to other human PCs. But I'm more interested in using weapon mastery as a guideline to inform fighter class design than in feat design.

I'll give an example of a "normal sword" (longsword) if you're unfamiliar with the Weapon Mastery rules...

[SECTION]Sword, Normal

Basic (1): 5 (1d8) damage

Skilled (2): 7 (1d12) damage ––––– Defense H: -2 AC/1 ––––– Deflect (1) + disarm

Expert (3): Range –/5/10 ––––– 9 (2d8) damage ––––– Defense H: -2 AC/2 ––––– Deflect (2) + disarm (save +1)

Master (4): Range –/5/10 ––––– Primary Target: 13 (2d8+4) damage / Secondary Target: 11 (2d6+4) damage ––––– Defense H: -3 AC/3 ––––– Deflect (2) + disarm (save +2)

Grandmaster (5) Range 5/10/15 ––––– Primary Target: 15 (2d6+8) damage / Secondary Target: 13 (2d4+8) damage ––––– Defense H: -4 AC/3 ––––– Deflect (3) + disarm (save +4)[/SECTION]

How I interpret this is that as a fighter specializing in swordplay gets better, (s)he can expect to...
  • Deal more damage with a one-handed sword.
  • More readily defend, especially against multiple attackers.
  • Learn how to throw a one-handed sword short distances.
  • Deflect/parry an increasing number of melee or thrown attacks.
  • Disarm an armed opponent with increasing chances of success.

EDIT: You could start to translate some of that into a fighter subclass using the 3rd/7th/10th/15th/18th model of the Champion or Battle Master.

A rough example...

Versatile Swordplay: Starting at 3rd, you can adjust your grip on your longsword once per turn simply as part of making an attack. When wielding a longsword one-handed, you gain a +1 bonus to your AC when you have more than one hostile creatures within 5 feet of you. When wielding a longsword two-handed, you deal 1d12 slashing damage (instead of 1d10). You may also change the damage type of your longsword to piercing damage as a bonus action.

Improved Disarm: Starting at 3rd, you have advantage on attempts to Disarm a creature of its weapon.

Thrown Sword: Starting at 7th, you can throw your sword up to 10 feet to make an thrown melee attack, or to cut a rope, imbed it into a wall to give you extra boost on a high jump, or perform some other daring maneuver. Retrieving your sword after throwing is automatic as long as you pass within 5 feet of it and no enemy has picked it up and it isn't stuck in stone or otherwise irretrievable.

Deflect: Starting at 10th, you can deflect a number of melee or thrown attacks per round equal to 1 plus the number of attacks you didn't utilize from your Extra Attack feature on your last turn. Deflecting an attack doesn't use your reaction, but you cannot deflect an attack that has advantage to hit against you. You simply make a melee attack with your sword against a creature making a melee or thrown attack against you; if you roll higher than their attack roll, their attack misses you.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I'm gonna assume the Rules Cyclopedia either just added that in wholesale or it was something from Companion or Master rules that I don't remember/never really used or played. I recall nothing about Weapon Mastery in "Basic." Just "Specialization" rules from 1e UA...and they did not work like you describe.

But that's an interesting idea effect that could be worked in...sounds like it is best left to a "Weaponsmaster" subclass...as taking up 3rd, 7th, 10th, 15th, 18th level features with that leaves room for...well, nothing else. hahaha.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
At the risk of seeming too "The Class that Dare Not Speak Its Name"...

...what about a feature that allows the Fighter to offer/"share" their Fighting Style bonus with an ally/allies at the expense of an Extra Attack...we're talking about 5e, so maybe "as a Bonus Action?" ...either "all allies within X[15'?] range" or just 1 ally who can see/hear you per "Extra Attack" used.

But seems like the kind of thing an experience "warrior" ought to be able to share some instruction or insight to their fellows to improve their attack...however rarely. Someone who WANTS to play a W-w-w-..."leadership" type of role with their Fighter could use it any chance they get. Others might just dole it out at dramatic "make or break" moments...so it could be a base class feature for players to use at their discretion.

EDIT: Just figured it out, 1 ally per Extra Attack spent in the base class. Then a subclass (or "-classes") can make it an "area effect/multiple allies" thing.

EDIT 2: Though, again, here, we're really just adding another "Thing to do/use in combat." Though I guess it has/could have a bit of broader flavor for individual characters depending on how it's used.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend

...what about a feature that allows the Fighter to offer/"share" their Fighting Style bonus with an ally/allies at the expense of an Extra Attack...we're talking about 5e, so maybe "as a Bonus Action?" ...either "all allies within X[15'?] range" or just 1 ally who can see/hear you per "Extra Attack" used.

But seems like the kind of thing an experience "warrior" ought to be able to share some instruction or insight to their fellows to improve their attack...however rarely. Someone who WANTS to play a W-w-w-..."leadership" type of role with their Fighter could use it any chance they get. Others might just dole it out at dramatic "make or break" moments...so it could be a base class feature for players to use at their discretion.

EDIT: Just figured it out, 1 ally per Extra Attack spent in the base class. Then a subclass (or "-classes") can make it an "area effect/multiple allies" thing.

EDIT 2: Though, again, here, we're really just adding another "Thing to do/use in combat." Though I guess it has/could have a bit of broader flavor for individual characters depending on how it's used.

Totally. I remember back when we were playing AD&D2e, my friend ran a charismatic fighter who ended up training a town to defend itself from invading demons. I know I hand-waved lots of stuff back then, but I remember explicitly letting him bestow weapon & armor proficiencies onto the townsfolk which came in handy during one key fight that involved a bunch of NPCs supporting the PC. But even more than that, it was useful when his PC attempted to intimidate some mercenaries working with the demons that had moved into a flanking position around the town; realizing the peasants weren't as defenseless as they thought, the mercenaries turned tail and ran.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah, the Warlord really couldn't 'fit' in 5e fighter sub-class, but dancing around it a little like the BM does wouldn't hurt anyone...
...well 'cept the enemy.

Or allies in a 'Formation' with you? My first thought was a Fighter with Protection Style organizing his party into a Phalanx.

Ooh... or a PM master organizing a Pike Square.

Good.

Remove ads