ArcanaHeart

3 out of 5 rating for ArcanaHeart

On the one hand, this isn't really a site for reviewing video games, and the OP is amazingly brief with the description. On the other hand, I can't actually disagree with any of what's stated. New players will definitely want to start with Heart, since she's basically a shoto-clone.

I'm only giving it three stars, because of the wasted potential. This is one of those combo-heavy fighting games with an absurdly high skill cap that big-name professional gamers could have gone wild with, if that market hadn't been over-saturated since the days of Marvel Vs Capcom 2. If they'd aimed at a more casual audience, this could have found a wider niche.

I'm especially annoyed because the core concept is awesome. The idea that your basic fighting moves (strikes, combos, throws, etc) could be an independent variable from your special moves (mostly projectiles) provides unmatched opportunity for customization and replayability! It's a pity that the overwhelming complexity is such a gate to enjoyment.

Back on topic for the boards, though, I also think it would make for a pretty neat RPG concept. Instead of having the fighter and the wizard as two unique characters, where the fighter can only fight and the wizard can do everything else, I would want to see a game where everyone is a fighting wizard with their own fighting style and their own handful of spells that nobody else can use. If this game isn't going to take advantage of its amazing premise, then some other game definitely should!

Remove ads