D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Kethra tries to get everyone's attention. "I have a plan. We do the obvious. We leave." she says.

"I, and anyone else really good at staying hidden, double back and observe the camp, while the rest of you stay just within earshot. If they play nice after we leave, we call off the stakeout and proceed. If not, we've got our reason to fight."

industrygothica

Adventurer
"That's not a bad plan, but let's see if we can get an idea of what they're thinking while you prepare to make your exit. I'll be vulnerable for a minute, so please don't let anyone kill me."

Lyllie finds a nearby rock and takes a seat, facing outward off the cliff, as if she's again lost in her thoughts of Glimmerdale. Her eyes roll back into her head, and her sight flashes to an angle from high above in the trees, peacefully circling the camp.

Poe, she thinks. Get a closer look at our visitors. Let's see if we can hear what they're talking about.

OOC: Poe is Lyllie's raven familiar. She's blind and deaf in regards to her own senses, but she can see and hear whatever Poe does as long as he is within 100 feet. Maybe we can get them talking when they see people start to pack up.

As a familiar, Poe is considered a fey creature (for now).

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian nods in agreement with Kethra's plan. "I am agreed. We will want to make sure that none of their number attempt to follow us as we enact the plan. Although..." He pauses as he considers the angles. "I suppose if they had such intentions, they may have kept stealthy members of their own group concealed from us." He shrugs to himself. "Perhaps it is not good to try and overanalyze."

He sets about making preparations to depart the camp as originally planned. Part of him considers warning Portis and Prosper of the plan, but the more people that react genuinely to their departure, the more convincing the ploy will be. He casts an eye around the camp and the surrounding wilderness, looking for high points, either where the mercenaries may have stationed their own backup, or where he could head himself to cover the camp from a distance.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu nods.

"This one agrees. When the dogs attack, the snakes will strike. Let's go."

With that, the dragonborn prepares to leave.

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

In a strange way the plan made Harfik feel at home. It was indirect much like the court politics he had seen play out before. Frederik's court was far from stable.

He nods and as the group finishes getting ready he slings his pack over his shoulders, leans his spear and himself against the wagon where he can see Lillie out of the corner of his eye and watches the sand fleas intently, making no attempt to hide the fact that he is watching them. He wants them to know, wants them to be cocky enough to start talking among themselves. If they lock eyes with him at all, he simply smiles at them... That seemed to get them going before.

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

"That's not a bad plan, but let's see if we can get an idea of what they're thinking while you prepare to make your exit. I'll be vulnerable for a minute, so please don't let anyone kill me."
Poe comes lower, finding a concealed perch. As he watches, the whispers between the Fairwalkers become clearer.

Eilúvit: Wait for it.

Zanga: It would be easier to just…

Eilúvit: No guarantees desert-man. They have to move first.

Zanga’s sister: Then what? We came here to fight!

Skinny elf: No worries. Let them go. We get the others, close the path, they won’t even notice. When they return…

Eilúvit: We get them.

Zanga: What about these three?

Eilúvit: Make sure they don’t leave, that’s all. Dvalin will warn the others. (Turning to the skinny elf). Aspen, you know what to do….

Aspen (skinny elf): As soon as they leave…

He nods and as the group finishes getting ready he slings his pack over his shoulders, leans his spear and himself against the wagon where he can see Lillie out of the corner of his eye and watches the sand fleas intently, making no attempt to hide the fact that he is watching them.

Zanga: (responds the glances with one of his own)

Zanga’s sister: What are you thinking, Zanga?

Zanga: Damn shame… That’s what I’m thinking. If the monk only knew…

Zanga’s sister: How far would he go if he chose to fight his masters? Ten steps?

Zanga: Ten steps as a free man, Isobel. We said it to ourselves the day we broke our chains.

Zanga turns his gaze away. Any man would be fooled by his manners, but Harfik’s trained senses recognize the sadness in Zanga’s face.

Eilúvit signals to Dvalin. Slowly, he climbs to the back of the horse, and slowly he starts towards the path down. Atir treats the other horse, starting a menial conversation with the others.

YTTRIAN

He casts an eye around the camp and the surrounding wilderness, looking for high points, either where the mercenaries may have stationed their own backup, or where he could head himself to cover the camp from a distance.

Yttrian identifies several spots that might represent danger, although none of them would be reachable by this side of the trail. The mercenaries would have to climb in order to reach such heights, and there are no signs of recent activity at the stone walls – no piton markings, no nails, no rock slides. The only other option would be to find a side path towards the top of the rocks, up beyond the pass. The elf is confident he’ll be able to find access to the higher grounds as soon as the party begins its’ journey.

[Very elegant way out of it, and very nice characterization! That’s an extra 75XP for everyone and, if you guys wanna use inspiration points, each of you gets one! I always get lucky with my player groups! :)]
[MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Lyllie blinks away the blindness and comes back into her own senses. Come back, Poe. She picks up her small pack from the ground and shoulders it, quietly mouthing to the others what she heard.

Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 16; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]52[/COLOR]/52
[B]Initiative:[/B] +3
[B]Saves:[/B] INT +7, WIS +5
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 15
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Gnomish, Sylvan, Druidic
[B]Skills:[/B] Arcana +7, Investigation +7, Nature +7, Perception +5
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 8 (-1), Dex 14 (+2) , Con 14 (+2), Int 18 (+4), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 11 (+0)
[B]XP:[/B]14,075 / 23,000

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] Yes, [ ] No

[B]Spell Save DC:[/B] 13/15
[B]Spell Slots:[/B] 4, 4, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Slots Used:[/B] 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Spells Prepared:[/B] (4/8) 
[list]
[*]1st Level: 1st Level: Healing Word (D), Entangle (D), Faerie Fire (D), Speak with Animals (D), Ray of Sickness, Color Spray, 
Mage Armor, Witch Bolt, False Life
[*]2nd Level: Blindness/Deafness, Ray of Enfeeblement, Misty Step
[/list](D) Druid Spells modified with Wisdom. All others are Wizard spells modified with Intelligence.

[B]Rituals[/B]
Tenser's Floating Disk, Find Familiar, Identify, Gentle Repose

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian curses quietly at Lyllie's report. "The dwarf is leaving to warn 'others'? We should expect them to have reinforcements. I suspect our best bet is to force their hand before he can reach these others and return with them. I suggest we implement Kethra's plan immediately." He steps away from the group and starts taking the path up into the Sanctuary. More loudly he calls out over his shoulder, "We've still got a lot of ground to cover. Let's get moving."

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

Yttrians words ring like music to Harfiks ears. He holds his gaze for just a split second longer, curious about the sadness he saw in the one sand flea. Then he falls in behind Yttrian, glancing back frequently to see who falls in behind them, and to make sure they are not already moving against Prosper and the others.

Following Yttrian, for some reason he can't help but notice his lack of any chains, and for a moment Harfiks own chains feel somehow heavier than they had in some time.

Shayuri

First Post
"A competing proposition: Honest confrontation," said Icosa. "We go to them, explain we know what they intend, and ask if a peaceful resolution is possible. I speculate not all of them wish to engage in their course of action. Negotiation may prove fruitful."

Remove ads