Which is the real value of the Ability Scores?

Tulpa Temporal

Explorer
Hi, I was wondering, in S&W Whitebox, has any in-game value the proper ability score?

I'm planning on a skill system in which you roll 2d6 + stat mod - other mods rolling below a difficulty of 6 - 9. Something like: climbing 2d6 + DEX mod - CA value vs 6. Or breaking doors in 2d6 + STR mod vs 9.

If I'd change the 3d6 array for a 2d6, would it matter? and in that case, why?

I know RC has this "smash" option for the Fighter where you could add your Strength score, but beyond that I can't find any other use for the proper value.

Any ideas? Am I looking this from the wrong angle?

Thanks!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think there is any reason 2d6 wouldn't work. I mean, Traveller, both classic and Mongoose does that. And Sine Nomine's games basically graft the D&D style system with Travellers 2d6 skill system.

OTOH, I also don't see any particular advantage to doing that versus just rolling a d20 for ability check, or using an ability based skill system like AD&D with with NWPs and B/X and BECMI did with skills.

Personally I prefer the latter, since it's basically 50% plus or minus 5% for every ability point above or below average. But YMMV. It depends on how much you think ability scores should count toward skills.

Remove ads