• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which is the real value of the Ability Scores?

Tulpa Temporal

Explorer
Hi, I was wondering, in S&W Whitebox, has any in-game value the proper ability score?

I'm planning on a skill system in which you roll 2d6 + stat mod - other mods rolling below a difficulty of 6 - 9. Something like: climbing 2d6 + DEX mod - CA value vs 6. Or breaking doors in 2d6 + STR mod vs 9.

If I'd change the 3d6 array for a 2d6, would it matter? and in that case, why?

I know RC has this "smash" option for the Fighter where you could add your Strength score, but beyond that I can't find any other use for the proper value.

Any ideas? Am I looking this from the wrong angle?

Thanks!

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think there is any reason 2d6 wouldn't work. I mean, Traveller, both classic and Mongoose does that. And Sine Nomine's games basically graft the D&D style system with Travellers 2d6 skill system.

OTOH, I also don't see any particular advantage to doing that versus just rolling a d20 for ability check, or using an ability based skill system like AD&D with with NWPs and B/X and BECMI did with skills.

Personally I prefer the latter, since it's basically 50% plus or minus 5% for every ability point above or below average. But YMMV. It depends on how much you think ability scores should count toward skills.

Remove ads