Movie Monster Conversion

Sarelth

Explorer
Ok, this is my first post on this forum. I like to convert monsters to 3rd ed rules. I would list my sliver conversions, but I see that there is already a set here, so I will not step on toes. Though if anyone wants to peek at my version they are welcome to There is a link to were I store them in my signature.

Well on with the point of the thread, Here is a creature I liked in a movie. I won't say what movie as I want people to guess.

Without further BS from me, here comes the monster:
This one was done a while back and is not up to 3.5 standards. I plan on going back over all my conversion and updating them as soon as I get a chance however.
------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight Beast
CR 1; Medium Magical Beast (Cold, Darkness);
HD: 4d10+8 (28hp);
Init: +7; (+7 Dex)
Spd: 30ft, Fly 40ft, Climb 20ft, Burrow 20ft;
AC: 22; (+7 Dex, +5 Natural)
ATK: 2 claws +11, headbut +8, bite +8;
DAM: Claws 2d6+6, headbut 1d8+6, bite 3d8+6;
Face/reach: 5' by 5'/5';
SA: Frightfull presence(ex)- 4 hd or less (DC 15).;
SQ: Darkvision 200', Invisible to low-light vision, Invulnerable to cold, Double damage from fire, Light deals damage as fire (typically 1d6/melee);
SV: - Fort +5, Ref +15, Wil +4;
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 24, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 4, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +5, Jump +5, spot +5, search +5
Feats: Fly by attack, mobility, death blow

Twilight Beast - Young
CR 1/10; Small Magical Beast (Cold, Darkness);
HD: 1d8 (6hp);
Init: +8; (+8 Dex)
Spd: 5ft F 30ft;
AC: 21; (+8 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size)
ATK: 2 claws +4, bite +4, rake +6;
DAM: Claws 1d4+4, bite 2d4+4, rake 1d6+4; 2' by 2'/0';
SA: Swarm target - 2d6+8 dmg per melee;
SQ: Darkvision 100', Invisible to low-light vision, Invulnerable to cold, Double damage from fire, Light deals damage as fire (typically 1d4/rnd);
SV: - Fort +5, Ref +9, Wil +4;
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 26, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 4, Cha 10
Skills:Climb +4, Jump +4, spot +4
Feats: Fly by attack

Description: Twilight beast are a strange creature, they live in communal hives similar to Termites, Though on a much larger scale. The hive consist of massive tunnels that end in huge caverns deep in the underdark. Entrances to these tunnels can be miles apart.
The Young travel in large groups and hardly ever touching the ground, As they have little need to. Their small size allowing them to stay in the air for hours on end. The only time they are not flying is when they are at rest, which is usually down in a way similar to bats, hanging from the ceiling of large caverns in the underdark.
The Adults are much different from the young, which they leave to fend for themselves at birth. During times of famine the Twilight beasts are known to slaughter their own kind for food, as they have a fairly high birthrate this usually does not harm there numbers much. Though extended famines may well reduce them to mere ghost hives. With but a few left.
In combat both adults and young are brutal fighters that give no quarter and fight until death. The Young use sweaping swarm like dive bomb attacks, raking with their razor sharp claws in large waves of death. The adults tactics consist of similar, though without the swarm aspect. They attack more from the ground, though they are well capable of attacking from above and do so when able.

This conversion went over well when first created, but I am sure it needs some revisions. What would you all suggest?

Last edited:

Sarelth

Explorer
Here is another movie monster that I started and have not entirely fleshed out yet. Opinons and pointers welcome.

----------

Basilisk Wyrm
Huge Dragon (Water)
Hit Dice: 19d12+95 (215 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft., Climb 20 ft., Swim 60 ft.
AC: 31 (–2 size, +3 Dex, +20 natural)
Attacks: Bite +26 melee or Tail Slap +25 melee
Damage: Bite 2d8+8 or Tail Slap 2d6+12
Face/Reach: 10 ft. by 20 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Petrifying Gaze, Poison, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Immunities, Blind Sight, Damage Resistance 5/+1, Keen Senses, Spell Resistance
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +14, Will +12
Abilities: Str 26 [+8], Dex 16 [+3], Con 21 [+5], Int 14 [+2], Wis 12 [+1], Cha 16 [+3]
Skills: Bluff +11, Climb +21, Concentration +24, Jump +16, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (local) +10, Listen +20, Scry +17, Search +21, Sense Motive +16, Spot +20, Swim +18
Feats: Dodge, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Bite)
Climate/Terrain: Any Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic
Organization: Solitary or Pair
Challenge Rating: 14
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: Special

Improved Grab (Ex): The Basilisk Wyrm can attempt to grab a foe or size Large or smaller in it's jaws. If successful the Basilisk Wyrm can attemp to Swallow the Opponent.
Petrifying Gaze (Su): The Basilisk Wyrm has a gaze attack, unlike other dragons. This attack has a range of 125 feet and carries over to the Ethereal plane an equal distance. When this attack is used, the Basilisk Wyrm's eyes glow a sickly yellow, Intelligent creatures revived or who survive the attack describe the feeling as being deathly cold. The Petrifying gaze transforms any target that fails a Fortitude Save (DC 22), into a stone statue. If the target knows before hand that he is facing a Basilisk Wyrm, the creature can attempt to avoid eye contact with the Wyrm, this requires a Reflex save (DC 15) every round however as one has to be constantly on their guard to avoid the every moving gaze.
Poison (Ex): The teeth of the Basilisk Wyrm carry a virulent poison that quickly saps away the strength of the victim. A Fortitude save (DC 24) or take 1d6 Temporary Strength Damage, the secondary damage is 2d6 temporary strength damage.
Swallow Whole (Ex): Due to it's size, the Basilisk Wyrm can attempt to swallow a grabbed opponent of Large size or smaller, by making a successful grapple check. Once inside the creature takes1d6+8 points of crushing damage and 1d6 points of acid damage a round, from the Digestive Juices and the Basilisk Wyrms Movement. A trapped creature can attempt o cut its way out of the stomach, but may only do so with a size small weapon or smaller and must deal 25 points of damage (AC 19).

Immunities (Ex): Immune to Sleep and Paralysis effects. Immune to Acid and Poison.
Blind Sight (Ex): 180 feet. By scent and sound.
Damage Resistance (Ex): 5/+1
Keen Senses (Ex): Low Light and 600 foot Darkvision.
Spell Resistance (Ex): 25

The Basilisk wyrm is a massive snake-like dragon. It's crested head sports many spines and a row of horn-like protrusions along the sides. While it's massive mouth has many dagger sized teeth. the shape of the wyrm's head attracts ones attention towards the eyes with the patterns around them as well as the distinct color.

Unlike other dragons, the Basilisk Wyrm possess no legs or wings, instead moving like a snake. Their serpentine bodies make them excellent swimmer though, which many a adventurer has found out to late. The wyrm does not rely entirely on it's gaze attack, as it seems to like to play with it's meal a bit first.

The Wyrm is able to digest almost anything, though metallic object seem the most resilient. The lair of one of these creatures is usually littered with the metal remains of many victims. Though very few items of any other nature, beyond gems, are noted.

Note: The petrifying gaze only effect the target, not his or her equipment.

Last edited:

Sarelth

Explorer
And one last one and I am done for the night.

----------

Monkey Bird
Small Humanoid

Hit Dice: 1d8 (3 hp)
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 15,fly 30(average)
AC: 14 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural)
Attacks: 2 claw +1 melee, bite +1 melee
Damage: Claw 1d3, bite 1d4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Dazzle, scent
Saves: Fort -1, Ref +4, Will 0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 8, Int 11, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Bluff +2, Sense Motive +2, Use Magic Device +2
Feats: Flyby Attack
-----------
Climate/Terrain: Any,Warm land,forest
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Family (2-5), or Colony (5-20) CR: 1/2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: By class

The Monkey Bird is a strange amalgam of a Parrot and a Monkey. The Males have brightly colored plummage, while the females and camoflagued to better protect themeselves and their nest.

Monkey Birds are cowards in that they do not like physical combat. They prefer to flee and attack from ambushes. They have a love of fruit and gems and can be easily inticed with offers of either.

Male Monkey Birds Plummage is a mix of bright colors, which it uses to attract a mate. The females however are a mix of browns and greys, and they can blend in well with the trees they nest in. Unlike true birds, Monkey Birds do not truelly have feathers, their plummage is more of a feathery fur that covers the wings of the creature. Though the Monkey Birds are as intelligent as other races, they still retain a lot of their primitive instincts. They are fascinated with gems, the only things that they like more then gems is food, especially fruit. If they have not fed in a while (at least 2 hours), they will give up most things they are doing for a large amount of fruit. For gems or food, a Monkey Bird will do just about anything. Many unscrupulous individuals have used this flaw to to get rather cheap mercenaries, whom they then can easily get rid of.

Combat
Monkey Birds are not major combatants, they prefer to keep as far away from combat as possible, but with the right incentive and the upper hand they will fight for a little while. If the battle is going against them though, they will not risk their lives and will flee at the first chance. When forced into combat, Monkey Birds favor hit an run tactics. Not staying within range of melee attacks and trying to avoid ranged by not staying in one spot for long.

Special Qualities:
Dazzle (Ex): The Male monkey Birds has a strange ability to temporarily dazzle their opponents, Once per encounter they can outspread their wings and do a odd dance. Any individual that sees this (Other than other Monkey Birds) is hypnotized for 1d3 rounds unless they make a Willpower save (DC 15). This ability has a different effect on a Female Monkey Bird however, Any female Monkey Birds (not sibling of course) that see the dance must make a Willpower save (DC 15) or have the urge to become the mate of the Male.
Scent (Ex): The creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. The creature can pinpoint locations only within 5 feet. This creature can follow tracks by smell with a Wisdom check (DC 10, +2 for every hour the trail is cold).
Skill Check Bonus: The female Monkey Bird gets a +4 to Hide checks, due to her coloration. Both sexes Gain a +2 to spot, listen and search checks also.

Society
Monkey Birds are very social, travelling in family packs, ussually consisting of one alpha male and his small harem of mates, plus the young. Most Males will have 1-3 mates, each with between 1-3 young, some can have more. The females gather together and raise the young, while the males forage for food and find gems for the females. Once the young are old enough, they will leave the family pack to start their own.

Monkey Birds are very inquisitive and will investigate almost anything that catches their eye. If they smell fruit or see gems, they will be even more interested in finding out what they can about something. They know little fear, beyond the fear of pain. If they do not expect to be hurt, they will show no fear of anything. But once the first sign of danger shows, they will attempt to fly away.

Monkey Bird packs are nomadic, roaming around the jungles in search of food and fun. When they meet up with another pack, they seem to throw a party of sorts and will trade whatever goods they may have. Though they have the potential, their culture has not given reason to development of weapons or tools and they produce nothing of their own, though they can and will use the tools of other races, they prefer not to use weapons though they can.

Favored Class: Rogue

Krishnath

First Post
I recognize the last one from Pirates of Dark Water, but as for the two others I have no idea where they come from. But the creatures still look good to me. :D

Also, I would like it if you left a few comments on my slivers (in the apropriate thread of course) ;)

Sarelth

Explorer
Oh my, does no one know where the other two came from? I updated the Basilisk Wym a little, well actually just added some descriptive text and a little info.

Yes Krishnath the Monkey Bird was from Pirates of Darkwater. :) Glad that one was at least a gimme. I was planning one posting in the Sliver threads, I was actually thinking of placing one of my slivers next to one of yours and comparing what we did differently. I had started on the new slivers recently, but I was not getting any feedback on the forum I frequent and sort of forgot about it for a while. Opps.

To be honest the Basilisk Wyrm was my take on the Basilisk from the 2nd Harry Potter movie. I liked the way the monster looked and wanted something similar to it for a game I was running. I think my version would kick the Spit out of the movie version though.

As to the Twilight Beast, they are my way of looking at the creatures from the Movie Pitch Black. I loved that movie a lot. Though I never used them in a game, they could easily be a major hazard in an underdark setting. In fact one comment I got from them when I posted it on another forum many moons back was something along those lines.

I think the person said something like. "I see why the underdark is concidered so dangerous and why so few monsters make it out. If these critters are guarding some of the exits." That is not it exactly, but as close as I can recall.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Heh, pit them against a sliver hive and see who wins... :D

I haven't seen neither the harry potter movies nor pitch black. I want to see the latter, but not the former of the two, as I regard the harry potter franchise a 'kid' version of fantasy, which is of course O.K. as there will be a large number of former harry potter reading kids that will discover D&D. :D

They're still some damn good monsters. :D

Sarelth

Explorer
I was not that interested in seeing the Harry Potter Movies actually, but my GF is a little odd, so she rented them. Not having much else to do I watch them both. They were actually fairly well done, and had some interesting concepts in them. The Basilisk looked cool, so I converted it.

Pitch Black was awesome and I can not wait for the sequel, Riddick. Though it is not set on the planet again, as it focuses on Riddick and a Bounty Hunter that has tracked him down after the planet incident.

I think a Sliver Hive would be rather vicious to a Twilight Beast Hive. The Slivers would easily be at an advantage though, due to the different types as well as the fact that the Twilight beasts will eat anything, including each other.

Krishnath

First Post
I've heard that Riddick will be a Sci-fi/Fantasy blend...

Also, I'm sure the 'potter' movies are well done, I'm just not interrested in fantasy aimed at children. :D

Sarelth

Explorer
But the child in each one of us is the reason that we are playing RPGs. Some part of our subconscious seeks to imagine us as a part of a different world, which we accomplish by playing the role of our characters in a game.

If you deny the simple urge to be childish sometimes, you will just end up being a bored old person, eventually. ;)

The movies were not really aimed at just children, though the books certainly were. They ae made to make money, which means lots of special effects, aspects to make both the young and old laugh and a few twists to make everyone wonder what is going on.

Anyways, they were still good movies, though as you say they were a bit childish. :)

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Good work Sarelth. Nice to see another converter on the boards. Too bad you weren't around for the March Movie Monster Mayhem:)

Speaking of which, Krish, I think there should definately be a rematch next year. The Kiaju Konversion project will not be defeated a second time!:D

Demiurge out.

Edit: CR 1 on the twilight beast? I'd say CR 3-4, personally.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases