D&D 5E Good Adventure for Level 3-5

guachi

Hero
My current campaign is set in Mystara/Known World.

There were six PCs that had just made level 5 and the party completed B10 Night's Dark Terror. The opening of the campaign was set in Karameikos and the party completed U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and the aforementioned B10.

One of the goals of the campaign, as I've described to the players, is to play old modules with 5e rules and experience classic adventures.

Three of the players had to quit the campaign for life reasons and I'm down to three 5th level players and three new 3rd level players.

I had expected the players to take the bait and travel to the Isle of Dread where I could run X1 Isle of Dread. Instead, they took clue #2 and decided to travel 1000 miles north to Glantri where i can run X2 Castle Amber. However, the party needs to get there first so there is lots of room for an adventure or three.

Are there are any adventures for levels 3-5 (total current levels is 24) that you recommend? Preferably, I'd like to use old adventures. But I'm open to good AL adventures as they are generally short and can fit well for travelers just passing through.

kasi45

First Post
Hello!

If you like the old modules of D&D you could take a look at "Rahasia". I find some riddles and traps were very nice. The module itself is originally for Level 2 but this can be easily fixed if conversion to 5th Edition is made.

Another alternative would be X3 Xanathons curse. It is not as good as other X-modules but i liked it because of the curious Setting (much possibilities of social interaction).

I have played also X4+X5 Master of Desert nomads and Temple of Death which are good mini-campaign like modules and you have a great war.
and War rafts of kron which i also liked. Other i dont know from expert set modules.

Greetings,
Kasi

guachi

Hero
After X1 most of the rest of the X series is not that good.

Would you pony up money for a PDF?

I have copies of X1-5 and X10 that I've owned for 30+ years. The downside of the X series is they are tied to a specific location in the setting more tightly than a generic module would be. And they are too high of a level, anyway. (Aside from X1 and X2, but I've explained why I can't run them now).

I have no problem buying a pdf from DMs Guild. I did that for B10 as it's very expensive in physical copy form. I printed it out and used a comb binder to bind it.

I could beef up a lower level adventure, of course. But a few looked more appropriate out of the box like the UK series, for example. Or the L series. I'd have used U3 The Final Enemy but the players went in the opposite direction of where I had U1 set.

There even may be some short adventures in Dungeon or for 2e or later editions. I suspect this crowd isn't an AL crowd, but there might be some short single session adventures that work. While the party is in Karameikos the CoS line of AL adventures might work.

I had considered B7 Rahasia (Thanks [MENTION=6895240]kasi45[/MENTION]) as it's basically in the right location. Or, more precisely, I put it in the right location. Rahasia was my favorite module from my B1-9 collection and I eventually bought a copy of the module and had Tracy Hickman sign it. It's basically Middle Eastern elves. If you've ever seen the map of the Known World the town of Selenica where the PCs will go to on their way to Glantri, is 70 miles from the in-game equivalent of Arabia and 30 miles from the southeastern border of the elf homeland.

I have everything for al-Qadim, but it's not location appropriate and I bought Planescape from DMs Guild when it was on sale, but it's REALLY not setting appropriate.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have copies of X1-5 and X10 that I've owned for 30+ years. The downside of the X series is they are tied to a specific location in the setting more tightly than a generic module would be. And they are too high of a level, anyway. (Aside from X1 and X2, but I've explained why I can't run them now).

I have no problem buying a pdf from DMs Guild. I did that for B10 as it's very expensive in physical copy form. I printed it out and used a comb binder to bind it.

I could beef up a lower level adventure, of course. But a few looked more appropriate out of the box like the UK series, for example. Or the L series. I'd have used U3 The Final Enemy but the players went in the opposite direction of where I had U1 set.

There even may be some short adventures in Dungeon or for 2e or later editions. I suspect this crowd isn't an AL crowd, but there might be some short single session adventures that work. While the party is in Karameikos the CoS line of AL adventures might work.

I had considered B7 Rahasia (Thanks @kasi45) as it's basically in the right location. Or, more precisely, I put it in the right location. Rahasia was my favorite module from my B1-9 collection and I eventually bought a copy of the module and had Tracy Hickman sign it. It's basically Middle Eastern elves. If you've ever seen the map of the Known World the town of Selenica where the PCs will go to on their way to Glantri, is 70 miles from the in-game equivalent of Arabia and 30 miles from the southeastern border of the elf homeland.

I have everything for al-Qadim, but it's not location appropriate and I bought Planescape from DMs Guild when it was on sale, but it's REALLY not setting appropriate.

I'm familiar with Mystara and own the AD&D boxed sets and B 1-10 on PDF (B1 and B3 softcovers).

Are you familiar with Quests of Doom? They have several adventures you could place in Glantri, Bad Moon Rising (werewolves), Noble Rot (vineyard).

https://www.froggodgames.com/quests-doom-volume-1-5e

Irteps Dish would be good in Glantri city,

The desert adventures could go in Ylaruam or Yule, Sewers of the Underguild Glantri City, Deathfrom Above involves a flying necromantic Giant fortress. Flying Fortresses on Mystara, that would never fly;)

QoD Volumje 2
https://www.froggodgames.com/quests-doom-volume-2-5e
Perils of Ghostwind Pass, Darkening of Namjin Forest and Dread Dragon Temple are the best ones here lvl 4-6 or so.

PQoD 2 also has several adventures that are useful and its is all level 1-6.

https://www.froggodgames.com/quests-doom-2

Spire of Iron and Crystal is set in 4 magical eggs channeling energy (Radiance perhaps?). Mires of Mourning is set in a swamp,

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
When a Star Falls (UK4?) might be perfect for your needs. It's a great adventure, is just the right level, and you can plop it in easily during travel.

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's funny you mention how you prefer older modules because that was my first thought reading the headline lol. The UK modules (Sentinel and Gauntlet) would easily work as a drop in adventure around that level range. We enjoyed them last time we played them (using the playtest rules at the time).

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Very open ended question indeed with tons of adventures out there. Anywho, I would recommend Tales from the Yawning Portal since it has two great adventures, sunless Citadel and The Forge of Fury, both of which can easily be adjusted up or down for your party's levels. And the plus side here is that it is in print and buying the book helps support D&D 5E and WoTC in general.

Scott

My current campaign is set in Mystara/Known World.

There were six PCs that had just made level 5 and the party completed B10 Night's Dark Terror. The opening of the campaign was set in Karameikos and the party completed U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God, and the aforementioned B10.

One of the goals of the campaign, as I've described to the players, is to play old modules with 5e rules and experience classic adventures.

Three of the players had to quit the campaign for life reasons and I'm down to three 5th level players and three new 3rd level players.

I had expected the players to take the bait and travel to the Isle of Dread where I could run X1 Isle of Dread. Instead, they took clue #2 and decided to travel 1000 miles north to Glantri where i can run X2 Castle Amber. However, the party needs to get there first so there is lots of room for an adventure or three.

Are there are any adventures for levels 3-5 (total current levels is 24) that you recommend? Preferably, I'd like to use old adventures. But I'm open to good AL adventures as they are generally short and can fit well for travelers just passing through.

hastur_nz

First Post
I think that with PC's up to 5th level, you'll find a lot of the great lower-level adventures are not well set up for use, simply scaling them up won't make fur the best experience, so the whole B series is no great use IMO. For example I had great fun recently using a trimmed version of B5 (The Horror on the Hill), for PC"s from level 2-4, but once they get access to level 3 spells I think you need better foes than just more hobgoblins and goblins, pit traps etc.

Forge of Fury is cool, and the right level, but I wouldn't buy a whole book just for that, you could convert the original yourself I'm sure; it also suffers from being a large "site-based" module, but I figure you're going to struggle getting away from that i.e. one big dungeon on the huge trip.

I do have a copy of UK3 (The Gauntlet) tucked away, I ran it way back in the AD&D days and I have fond memories of it, I believe it would be appropriate and fun and a change of pace, I never had UK2 but I believe the two are a pair but UK3 could be run stand-alone no problems e.g. if you run both UK2 naturally leads to UK3; if you just run UK3 you could make dealing with the keep something the PC's have to do in order to safely travel from A to B. Definitely research UK3, it's not your standard dungeon crawl so it may or may not be something of interest, and arguably you could use it for higher level PC's no problem.

Last edited:

guachi

Hero
I'm familiar with Mystara and own the AD&D boxed sets and B 1-10 on PDF (B1 and B3 softcovers).

Are you familiar with Quests of Doom? They have several adventures you could place in Glantri, Bad Moon Rising (werewolves), Noble Rot (vineyard).

I came this close <--> to buying several of the QoD books. But at some point it's just more adventures I'll never run. However, with an actual list of adventures to run I'm more likely to check it out. Support a 3rd party publisher and all is a good thing if you actually plan to use the material.

Remove ads