D&D 5E Good Adventure for Level 3-5

Zardnaar

Legend
I came this close <--> to buying several of the QoD books. But at some point it's just more adventures I'll never run. However, with an actual list of adventures to run I'm more likely to check it out. Support a 3rd party publisher and all is a good thing if you actually plan to use the material.

As I said several of those adventures fit Glantri to a T, assuming you can find a marsh, or forest area.

in Irteps Dish for example you go to Bards Gate (refluffed Glantri perhaps) and investigate what has happened to a wizard. You end up getting shrunk down and the adventure takes place on a petri dish you sale around on + you get to explore Bards Gate as well.

Bad Moon Rising fits well on Ravenloft and Glantri has them as rulers so it fits well there. The Egyptian themed adventures, well that is Nithia and Ghostwind Pass can lead to the Heldannic territories north of Glantri.

guachi

Hero
I think that with PC's up to 5th level, you'll find a lot of the great lower-level adventures are not well set up for use, simply scaling them up won't make fur the best experience, so the whole B series is no great use IMO.

I do have a copy of UK3 (The Gauntlet) tucked away, I ran it way back in the AD&D days and I have fond memories of it, I believe it would be appropriate and fun and a change of pace, I never had UK2 but I believe the two are a pair but UK3 could be run stand-alone no problems e.g. if you run both UK2 naturally leads to UK3; if you just run UK3 you could make dealing with the keep something the PC's have to do in order to safely travel from A to B. Definitely research UK3, it's not your standard dungeon crawl so it may or may not be something of interest, and arguably you could use it for higher level PC's no problem.

I found I had to ration XP for the players to keep B10 a challenge. The players dinged level 5 just before the BBEG (a big Cthulu-like solo monster) and, wow, what a difference in power. Even down to 3 of 6 players at level 5 I was having a hard time coming up with a challenge (hence this thread). So many modules back then and now don't straddle that threshold at level 5. Though an easy single session curbstomp isn't the worst thing that could happen, especially if it's merely a side quest used to work the new players in.

We've had several recommendations for the modules in UK2-4 so I think I'll check them out. UK 3 & 4 seem a little more level appropriate out of the box. Would be appropriate since two of the three adventures I've run have been UK designed.

Also, I have TftYP. It's the only AP I've purchased, even though I already own all the really old adventures in it. Bought the S series modules in the S series hard back collection of a few years ago. It's one reason I think including those three was a really bad idea. We already had a hardback version of it available. And I bought Against the Giants as a pdf. However, I hadn't bought anything at my FLGS and I'd been DMing there for close to a year. Figured I might as well get something to support them.

I checked out The Forge of Fury. It was actually the first thing I did. But I encountered two problems - the low recommended level and it being for Dwarves. I couldn't figure out where to place it. I can't put it in Rockhome as the PCs would never go there. For those familiar with Mystara, do you think placing it in southern Darokin in the mountains south of the main road from Selenica to Darokin City would be a possibility?

Zardnaar

Legend
I found I had to ration XP for the players to keep B10 a challenge. The players dinged level 5 just before the BBEG (a big Cthulu-like solo monster) and, wow, what a difference in power. Even down to 3 of 6 players at level 5 I was having a hard time coming up with a challenge (hence this thread). So many modules back then and now don't straddle that threshold at level 5. Though an easy single session curbstomp isn't the worst thing that could happen, especially if it's merely a side quest used to work the new players in.

We've had several recommendations for the modules in UK2-4 so I think I'll check them out. UK 3 & 4 seem a little more level appropriate out of the box. Would be appropriate since two of the three adventures I've run have been UK designed.

Also, I have TftYP. It's the only AP I've purchased, even though I already own all the really old adventures in it. Bought the S series modules in the S series hard back collection of a few years ago. It's one reason I think including those three was a really bad idea. We already had a hardback version of it available. And I bought Against the Giants as a pdf. However, I hadn't bought anything at my FLGS and I'd been DMing there for close to a year. Figured I might as well get something to support them.

I checked out The Forge of Fury. It was actually the first thing I did. But I encountered two problems - the low recommended level and it being for Dwarves. I couldn't figure out where to place it. I can't put it in Rockhome as the PCs would never go there. For those familiar with Mystara, do you think placing it in southern Darokin in the mountains south of the main road from Selenica to Darokin City would be a possibility?

The old level 1-3 adventures are more like 3 and 4 in 5E. 20 Kobolds is a pain in 5E. I would not use xp in these adventures, level them to 4 half way through and level 5 once they complete it. 5th level in 5E is a big jump in power.

guachi

Hero
I reread B7 and it really does have a lot of non-combat encounters so it will matter less if the encounters end up being too weak. It also involves wine and the party has already invested in a winery (as seen in Against the Cult of the Reptile God). I think I'll set this just across the Karameikos-Darokin border near Selenica and give hints to the PCs. It's not a guarantee they will take it as they had previously decided to not do B2 Keep on the Borderlands and B6 The Veiled Society.

Forge of Fury, which I finally got around to reading, would work well if I could get them near Dwarves. Which i probably can't, but the adventure does fit the bill and has the added benefit of already being for 5e.

UK2&3 are probably a go as I can set those in northern Darokin on the border with the Broken Lands or in Glantri. This would make adventures 3 and 4 I'd have run that were done by the UK team, so maybe I just have an affinity for that style of writing.

Irtep's Dish sounds great! That's Glantri to a 'T', as you say. It's also available as a separate pdf. The internet also tells me you recommended this adventure and Bad Moon Rising two years ago. If it still leaves a positive feeling that's a good thing. And if I buy the collection I'll give Noble Rot a look (more booze!).

Zardnaar

Legend
Noble Rots the weakest of them. Its not terrible more average.

My players liked Irteps Dish and Bad Moon Rising the bets. Warning if you run those adventure the words "Irtep is a love machine" will haunt you.

aco175

Legend
I think if you have 5 PCs of level 5 you could look at modules more in the level 5-7 range to keep a good threat. I think DMsGuild has several you could pop into your world and not be much trouble.

Remove ads