D&D 5E Do you miss attribute minimums/maximums?

Sacrosanct

Legend
In AD&D, you didn't get much (if any) benefit unless you had a 15 or higher. Yes, there were classes that were supposed to be rare due to ability requirements, but except for the paladin, they weren't super high (15 was the highest, except for the 17 Cha for paladin), and the 1E Unearthed Arcana even provided an alternate rolling method that pretty much ensured you could play the class you want (not to mention the number of DMs that just boosted the scores to reach the minimum). The bonus XP should have been huge (a big benefit if you got lucky and got a 16), but in reality it seldom mattered since everyone and their brother got it (DM's might give it to everyone, or players would only keep characters that had high ability scores anyway). I do miss avoiding the treadmill, however.

As for "skill checks" that was a product of 2E, which I didn't start playing until the late 90s. There was some system in the Dungeoneer's/Wilderness Survival Guides, but not many DMs I know used it. This made things more about the player's skill, rather than the characters.

Skill checks first appeared in the very first issues of Dragon in the 70s (can't recall which issue off the top of my head, but I know it was one of the first). I played AD&D from 1981 to 2012, and everyone I played with used skill checks, which was a simple "roll under your ability score." IME, it was a very common rule. Also, they were used A LOT. For pretty much any improvised action, from leaping off tables, to tripping, to trying to convince others of something, to recalling info----basically anything that is considered a skill check now.

So yeah, every point mattered in AD&D, and had an impact, regardless if you had a + bonus or not.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
I thought I would miss them when I started playing 5e, but I was wrong- PC's are the top 1% of the top 1% and are meant to be outside the norm. If that means my halfling ranger can out arm wrestle a goliath barbarian, so be it.

I thought I would miss them when I started playing 5e, but I was wrong- PC's are the top 1% of the top 1% and are meant to be outside the norm. If that means my halfling ranger can out arm wrestle a goliath barbarian, so be it.
As it states in the DMG, though, NPCs use the same method as PCs for generating stats. If you wanted a system where halfling PCs could be exceptionally strong and halfling NPCs were as weak as we'd expect, then a better model would be to start them with a penalty (or even just a low maximum value) and permit them to raise that with levels.

SwivSnapshot

First Post
As it states in the DMG, though, NPCs use the same method as PCs for generating stats. If you wanted a system where halfling PCs could be exceptionally strong and halfling NPCs were as weak as we'd expect, then a better model would be to start them with a penalty (or even just a low maximum value) and permit them to raise that with levels.

The DMG guidelines are moot. No one designs each individual NPC who appears in a campaign. The vast majority of NPC's likely haven't been statted at all and most of the remaining are taken from the Monster Manual or Volo's as needed.

The DMG guidelines are moot. No one designs each individual NPC who appears in a campaign. The vast majority of NPC's likely haven't been statted at all and most of the remaining are taken from the Monster Manual or Volo's as needed.
No one cares about any particular pre-generated NPC. Those are singular data points which provide very little information regarding the underlying principle by which they were generated.

Since it is a true fact that NPCs in the world conform to the same generation model as PCs, it remains true regardless of which particular samples you take. The worst case scenario is that you think the NPCs in the book are all there is in the world, because that will lead you to incorrect conclusions about the actual distribution.

mflayermonk

First Post
Do you miss the time when a 4 Intelligence character couldn't be an Elf, or when a female human couldn't have 18/00 strength? Would the re introduction of racial and gender minimums and maximums add anyting to 5E, or would it be pointless? Would it detract?

Do I miss the time? I could have bought a house for $40,000. So, yes, I miss that time.

Pauln6

Hero
There was a certain amount of logic to them. Dwarves cannot be as nimble as the nimblest elves, halflings cannot be as strong as the strongest Fighter and so on but there are other ways to demonstrate that I suppose so it doesn't bother me either way.

Li Shenron

Legend
Gender-based min/max -> no

Race-based min/max -> I wouldn't mind them, I would for example be fine if the caps were affected by racial bonuses, so that a race with +2 strength and +1 dexterity would actually have max Str 22 and max Dex 21; and by the way note that they already do automatically apply to minimums... if you can't roll less than 3, then a race with +2 Strength can't have less than Str 5!

Remove ads