Low-Magic Campaign

Caliburn101

Explorer
Thank you for posting this, Caliburn. Feels like some great options for another class, even if not in a low magic, sword & sorcery setting.

No problem! :)

However it's all a matter of proportion. In fact, Conan, the granddaddy of all S&S characters faced powerful sorcerers capable on occasion of raising the dead, infecting entire armies with lethal diseases and enslaving the mind enough for people to kill themselves on command.

Not as 'low magic' as you might think, and this from the very progenitor of the S&S genre.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Interesting - what spell casting system does it use?

It doesn't have one. That's largely what makes it great.

Magic exists in Middle Earth, it's just not flashy D&D style magic. Magic is almost more a way of explaining things than a skill. Somebody else can probably describe it better; I bough the book, read it, liked it, shelved it, and that was weeks ago.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
To the OP: be careful with all the recommendations to use Dark Sun as a model. Dark Sun is anything but a low-magic setting.

It's true that magic as described in he PHB is destructive and difficult to use, but its just replaced by psionics and psionics in DS is even more common than magic in the Forgotten Realms.

Every living creature - not just every PC or every humanoid, but every living creature, like elephants and mice and cats and armadillos - has at least some psionic power. Maybe they have the equivalent of semi-useless junk like friends, but everything is using these powers.

It takes a real stretch of imagination to call that "low-magic."

CapnZapp

Legend
For lower level magic and an S&S grittiness to the game a fast fix that works well is to do the following;

1. Reduce HP dice for PC classes to one-step lower (e.g. 1d8 becomes 1d6, 1d12 becomes 1d10 etc.)

2. Make all healing spells use up the healing HD of the target (or in emergencies the caster) on a 1 HD for each slot level of the spell basis (life force is burned to fuel magical healing...)

3. Make Paladins the Clerics (but they can access Cleric Spell List); Make Rangers the Druids (but they can access Druid Spell List) and the only 'full' caster the Warlock renamed as Sorceror or Mage with the following changes;

(a) Replace all but the 6th level Mystic Arcanum with an Eldritch Invocation
(b) Add Arcane Tradition of choice from the Wizard Class (now called 'Path of Mastery')
(c) Rename 'Otherworldly Patron' to 'Eldritch Bloodline' (the casters source of power)
(d) Rename 'Pact' to 'Arcanum' and the character gets Chain and Book variants
(e) Make Intelligence the spellcasting stat
(f) Use the Your Spellbook rules for the Wizard Class, this otherwise being the Book from the Warlock Pact
(g) Use Wizard Class Cantrip and Spells Known progression
(h) Use Wizard and Warlock Spell Lists
(i) Has Font of Magic like Sorcerer Class
(j) Remove Eldritch Blast from the game but allow all relevant Eldritch Invocations to apply to all damaging Cantrips

4. No Bards or Bear Totem Barbarians.

5. All magic items move up one step on the rarity table, so Legendary Items are considered artefacts.

6. Introduce 'Mastercrafted' items which either give +1 DR per class (lt/med/hvy) for armour, +1 AC for shields, +1 damage for weapons or +2 skill for tools.

A nice balanced 'low-mid' magic game will ensue :).
You should do a full write-up so we could have a proper look. Always hard to get a good overview when you need to mentally cut N paste yourself...

Cheers

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
If you want to limit the amount of magic thrown around by the party, rather than making the world in general low-magic, which can be very hard, use the gritty version of short and long rests, where a short rest is one day and a long rest is one week. If the players of caster classes know they will not get their spell slots back til they have the chance to rest for a full week undisturbed, they are going to hoard their spells like crazy. Even the short rest casters will be more careful, and if everyone tries to play a short-rest caster, limit the number of those classes you will allow. Then you just have to houserule in a limit for cantrips and any other normally unlimited magic-like powers, maybe a max of three or four per day before taking a one-day short rest. This last bit is actually pretty important to reigning in the amount of magic that gets thrown around in a 5E game if you are going for any kind of low-magic game.
Unfortunately this only means nobody chooses to play a caster at all.

This might not be a problem for the OP, of course, but I think it's better to ban undesirable classes than to nerf them. Nobody wants to play a class nerfed, not because it's too powerful, but because its power is expressed thru a undesirable skin.

A crude comparison to get my point across: "I hate axes so all axes do 1d3 damage". Don't expect anyone to fight with axes under those circumstances... Better to simply say there are no axes.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
No problem! :)

However it's all a matter of proportion. In fact, Conan, the granddaddy of all S&S characters faced powerful sorcerers capable on occasion of raising the dead, infecting entire armies with lethal diseases and enslaving the mind enough for people to kill themselves on command.

Not as 'low magic' as you might think, and this from the very progenitor of the S&S genre.
Even if there IS magic in the world, that world can still be called "low magic" as long as magic is evil and/or only for NPCs...

The interesting point of view is for player characters - only.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
This might not be a problem for the OP, of course, but I think it's better to ban undesirable classes than to nerf them. Nobody wants to play a class nerfed, not because it's too powerful, but because its power is expressed thru a undesirable skin.
Agreed. Trying to mix the PHB classes in with a low-magic game is a painful combination. The core 5e chassis (levels, proficiencies, skills, Hit Dice) is pretty rugged, modifying the classes to fit the game you want is pretty easy. The question is how much work do you want to do to make new options presentable and digestible for your players.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Interesting - what spell casting system does it use?

The magic in middle earth is more rare, and a lot more subtle. There a a few class abilities that are obviously magical, and a few more Racial feats, for example a Wood Elf might take the Wood Elf Magic Feat, and be able to ignite or douse lights with there minds, and put people into a magical sleep, like the wood elves did in the Hobbit novel.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
As far as Middle-earth for 5E goes, overall I was disappointed, at least as far as its contribution to a "generic" 5E low-magic campaign. The Fellowship and Journey rules are great, but are certainly not specific to a low-magic campaign. There is no magic system at all and the one class that is meant to serve as the "caster", the Loremaster, was a HUGE letdown for me. In general, I found the class design to be inconsistent..

I also found the Scholar class to be a bit meh, well the Master Scholar anyway the Master Healer gets a lot of healing. in my implementation Master Scholars can take Racial Feats from any Race. While this doesn't make them more powerful, it does give them a lot more utility. Now if the Master scholar wants they can Open and lock doors with magic, put foes into a magical sleep, see the invisible undead, etc.

Also the AiME Loremaster's Guide had some suggestions for adding 5e Spellcasting to the game, including a suggested list of spells that would be appropriate for Middle-earth, so I may also give the scholar ritual casting and access to some of those spells.

I also found the Warden class to be a bit lacking for my tastes. I really like the idea of a spell-less bard as a leader/warlord type class, but the implementation seems lacking. So I gave them Battlemaster maneuvers, that could be fueled by the Wardens Gift/Bardic Inspiration dice. This brought the class more in line with AiME implementations of the Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue, and Ranger.

Tony Vargas

Legend
If you want to limit the amount of magic thrown around by the party, rather than making the world in general low-magic, which can be very hard, use the gritty version of short and long rests, where a short rest is one day and a long rest is one week. If the players of caster classes know they will not get their spell slots back til they have the chance to rest for a full week undisturbed, they are going to hoard their spells like crazy. Even the short rest casters will be more careful....
All this does is shift the campaign's pacing from 6-8 encounter days (or fewer, if the party is successful in resting more often, you might have a 5-min work week instead of day, for instance). It can be a very useful thing to do, but it only makes the game 'lower magic' in a very desultory way in that magic systematically used during downtime will add up more slowly, it'll have no other meaningful impact on how the game plays out, nor the role of magic-using PCs in it.

Unfortunately this only means nobody chooses to play a caster at all.
It ('gritty' rest option) just creates a slower pace in the campaign, the non-casters also have to rest for a long time to get their HD back, for instance.

There might be one such sorcerer active in the world at a time, and no comparable power is typically accessible to Conan or whatever allies he may have at the time. That's low-magic compared to FR, by a huge margin, for instance.

But it is true that 'low magic' can mean very different things. In the context of D&D, it most often means 'few magic items' and/or 'few NPC casters.' It rarely means 'no PC caster,' or 'PC casters have less access to and/or less powerful magic.' The inevitable consequence of that kind of 'low magic' is that PC casters are significantly more important and powerful and have a greater relative impact on the game, any non-casting PCs don't have as many (if any) magic items to bring them into line with the casters, and enemies are less likely to be able to be prepared for or respond to PC magic.

Thus 'nerfing' casters can be necessary, just to keep them at their normal level of effectiveness...

I think it's better to ban undesirable classes than to nerf them. Nobody wants to play a class nerfed, not because it's too powerful, but because its power is expressed thru a undesirable skin.
I agree it's better to ban a class if the desire is to eliminate it from play, precisely because nerfing something to that is meant to be astoundingly rare in the setting, doesn't make it much less desirable for a PC, in fact, it can make it that much more appealing to a certain type of player.

Agreed. Trying to mix the PHB classes in with a low-magic game is a painful combination. The core 5e chassis (levels, proficiencies, skills, Hit Dice) is pretty rugged, modifying the classes to fit the game you want is pretty easy. The question is how much work do you want to do to make new options presentable and digestible for your players.
A no-magic game or all-martial party is theoretically possible, it just needs to make up some basic capabilities that the game depends upon to remain playable and which existing non-magical classes lack. In 4e, thanks to there being more martial classes covering the three least dispensable of the four formal Roles, it was pretty nearly seamless - it would have been more so with a 'Martial Controller.' 5e has pulled back from that, a lot, with only a handful of non-magic-wielding sub-classes in the PH, but it could still be restored with enough work. There are a few more sub-classes in SCAG, and some in UA. There's any number of such classes of variable quality on DMsG. It's an obvious and profound lack, and there've been many attempts to address it, just no adequate, official ones.

5e has the traditional D&D abhorrence of even the possibility of a party being successful without substantial magical aid, either from casters, other supernatural classes, or items - or all three. Swimming against that current is not easy.

Faux-low-magic, where the world is low-magic, but the PCs 'standard,' and thus at a profound advantage in the setting (the approach Primeval Thule took), is much smoother to implement...

Remove ads