D&D 5E Darksun 3.0

Bolares

Hero
I believe that disallowing feats will make casters more powerfull, because they don't really need them to be optmized. If you prohibit any metal weapon you don't have most of the problems you would have with feats. I would allow them, with restrictions to thematic feats.

I believe that feats help making the PC feels unique. In a game with restricted classes, races, and equipment options, the risk of every character of one tipe feeling the same is big, feats would help with that.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd use feats, but only those that helps increasing the flavor/theme of a character, such as racial feats and weapon/tools. I personaly love the cultural feats from adventure in middle-earth because they add a layer of flavor to your character. You could create racial feats to increase the ''Athas'' vibe of the races, like adventure in middle-earth did with cultural virtues.

Half Giant
Ability Score Increase Half Giants gain +4 strength, +2 constitution and -2 intelligence, -2 wisdom and -2 charisma.

Age Half Giants live to around 200 years of age.

Alignment Half Giants may change their alignment when they complete a long rest. They tend to have the same alignment as the strongest or most charismatic individual they associate with.

Size Half Giants are usually between 10-12 feet tall. They are large sized.

Durable Your hit point maximum increases by 2, and it increases by 2 every time you gain a level. Additionally when you spend a hit dice to regain hit points Half Giants may roll an additional dice.

Giant Half Giants deal an extra 1d4 points of damage with melee weapons.

Oversized Weapons. Half Giants may treat weapons with the two handed property as if they had the one handed weapon property.

Mul
The mul is a half human/haf Dwarf hybrid. They use the statistics of a half orc but replace the intimidation skill with the athletics skill.

These two caught my eye. Excellent conversion of both races. The half giant in particular feels just right--1d4 by itself wouldn't feel right, but a 2d6+1d4 greatsword in one hand replicates the terrifying feel of these guys. At the same time, the half-giant is so strongly channeled into the (weak) melee role that players and NPC enemies alike will know exactly what to expect from a half-giant--which just makes it all the more fun if one of them breaks type. A half-giant shadow monk for example would be hilariously awesome.

Boy, a gladiatorial combat one-off on Athas with these rules would be a lot of fun. (One or two PCs versus a bunch of monsters.) I'm sure I have a copy of the Complete Gladiator's Handbook somewhere...

Last edited:

What was the reasoning for Fighter = Battle Master, and Gladiator = Champion? I'd do it exactly the opposite, since Battle Master's maneuvers are great for representing gladiators.

neogod22

Explorer
I have a few things to say. You did a pretty good job but, you shouldn't assign negatives to races like they did in second edition. You can use the goliath race in sword coast for half giants, because that's what they are anyway.

Also Bits are not a coin. They are literally pieces of a ceramic coin. The coins can be broken into up to 10 pieces (i.e. bits).

Now for the warlock class, I agree the 3 patrons in the PHB can really be in Dark Sun, but the Pact of the Immortal can be. I would impose the limitation that that is the only pact and they are automatically defilers.

Now the question is how will wild talents be distributed with the characters? How many points will they get or will their ability be they can use the power a certain number of times a day? The reason this question needs to be answered is because, if you give them points, there will have to be enough to use the power at least once a day, so that would mean at least 7 points. If that is the case, what happens if someone rolls a weak power, or one that you can spend up to 7 points? They can spam that power at least 7 times a day. If the power is x times a day, then what number will that be, 1,2,3 times a day? I think we need the final version of the mystic class to come out before we do this, but I would like to see this world come back.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

neogod22

Explorer
Another thing about defining magic is, it's not just plant life that wizards draw from, It's all life. While PCs can only draw from plant life, the sorcerer kings and dragon can draw from animal life also. The radius of defilement was 5ft per spell level if I remember correctly. Why it's so devastating is because that area of land becomes barren for 1000 yrs, which is why defiled are usually killed on site.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads