Can Hobby Stores Make Their Saving Throw?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?
View attachment 86116
[h=3]From Craftspeople to Chain Stores[/h]Retail stores came into vogue in the 1870s. Prior to that point, shoppers primarily dealt with craftspeople locally:

It wasn’t until mass manufacturing gathered steam, fueled by the national railroad and wider transportation networks, that the concept of a department store became viable. John Wanamaker, whom many generally regard as the pioneer of marketing, opened the first department store in Philadelphia in 1876. Unlike small shops at the time, Wanamaker’s made use of price tags and a money-back guarantee. Out went constant haggling with small-time proprietors, and with it, various cottage industries.

It didn't take long for another company to upend the department store mode. It was Sears who cut out the middleman, a sort of Amazon of its day:

Just as Wanamaker and its progeny—Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Saks, and others—forever changed the retail landscape in dense cities, Sears made a dent in sparsely populated rural areas. Sears, Roebuck & Co.’s mail-order business flourished at a time when farmers in rural America were selling their crops for cash and buying what they needed from rural general stores.

And so that model continued. Until now.
[h=3]Death of a Salesman[/h]Retail store closings have been accelerating for some time, but the rate of closures has sharply increased this year. Jackie Wattles reports at CNN:

Brokerage firm Credit Suisse said in a research report released earlier this month that it's possible more than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores will close their doors in 2017. For comparison, the report says 2,056 stores closed down in 2016 and 5,077 were shuttered in 2015. The worst year on record is 2008, when 6,163 stores shut down. "Barely a quarter into 2017, year-to-date retail store closings have already surpassed those of 2008," the report says. If stores do close at the rate Credit Suisse is projecting, it could mean America will lose more than 147 million square feet of retail space this year.

Why is this happening? The decline, triggered by the global recession in 2008, has two primary drivers, cheaper clothing alternatives and online shopping:

The growth of cheap, trendy fast-fashion has been unstoppable in the US in the past decade. To illustrate the point, Macy’s famous Manhattan flagship store on 34th Street now shares the corridor with three H&M stores, including the world’s largest, which is literally across the street from one of its other locations. Internet retailers have been grabbing customers from department stores, too, and reducing foot traffic to their brick-and-mortar stores. Financial firm Cowen and Company predicts department-store apparel sales will grow a little in the coming years, but Amazon will blow past them to surpass Macy’s as the biggest clothing retailer in the US by 2017.

It's easy to see why some analysts are predicting the death of brick-and-mortar altogether. And yet there are standouts.
[h=3]Those Still Standing[/h]There are companies that are thriving in this new economic environment, like discount retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, which points to price being a primary factor in the decline of brick-and-mortar. But more high-priced stores are doing well too. Apple's model in particular shows that experience is still important to customers, and that's good news for geek stores.

Hobby stores can resist these trends. A defining trait of geekdom is its devoted fan base, a key attribute for return customers. Additionally, hobby gaming in particular is a participatory experience that requires more than just a sale. Synchrony Financial's white paper, "The Future of Retail," explains the key attributes that will differentiate stores in the future, and geek stores fit the bill:

Brick and mortar stores will exist in the future, but there will be fewer of them. A new model of delivering not only products, but also genuine brand experiences is emerging. People are social by nature and will be drawn to gathering places to share ideas and be entertained. It’s not just about making money. It’s about building trust. Retailers who tap into this trend will be rewarded.

Hobby gaming also tends to have a much stronger form of brand identification that encourages loyalty:

In high-involvement categories, specialty retailers will remain a go-to, but variety will be important. With that said, shoppers are reaching a tipping point around American consumption. Feelings of angst about acquiring too much “stuff” is driving a shift toward purchasing experiences rather than things.

ICv2 notes that stores are recognizing the value of geekdom by shifting their inventories, with Barnes & Noble, Gamestop, and FYE jumping on the geek bandwagon.

Although the future of brick-and-mortar stores looks uncertain, it seems likely hobby gaming outlets -- with their interactive experiences, loyal fan base, and strong brands -- will come out stronger from the downturn.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I wrestled with buying amazon every new release..with all the d&d related stuff coming out soon it would save about $40-$50 for all of them over going to my store, Dr Nos, in Marietta Ga. Cliff and his staff are awesome so I'll pay slightly higher price and drive that 45 miles one way to pick up my comics and RPG items to support the store...plus I do get the books about 14 days before I would with amazon!

Rygar

Explorer
If gaming stores can't rely upon product to keep them afloat, then what is it that they do have that can't be replaced? Community. Over and over again, I see gamers complain that they don't have the space to play the games they want. It seems the natural evolution of gaming stores isn't going to be in the response to whatever game du jour is hot at the moment but at the one things all gamers enjoy and need regardless of what they're playing: space.

Most of the successful gaming stores that I know of have one thing in common: a very large common gaming room that engenders community by providing a place to play. Some stores (like At Ease in San Diego, CA) have taken that to the extreme by annexing a bar space next door. But it seems to me that if gaming stores aren't able to survive by selling stuff, the one thing they can do is what has been alluded to above: sell the experience.

Copying/binding/map-printing/3D-modeling-on-demand services, wifi access and digital gaming surfaces and projection tables with easy PC hookups, spacious and comfortable gaming facilities, food/drink vending, equipment rental, Painting/Modeling workshop spaces and tools, etc--these are the kinds of spaces gamers can't get at Amazon.

As we gamers age, we're going to be looking for the "Lion's Club/Elk's Lodge" types of spaces that are more about community than product, where we don't have to sacrifice an entire room in our homes to play a game. I suspect gamers will pay for moderate membership fee (like a gym) for a rental space that provides everything they need that they simply can't afford to purchase/set up on their own.

These, I suspect, will be the new gaming spaces of the future as gaming stores continue to lose the sales battle to on-line vendors and turn to other mechanisms to draw people into their spaces. I can easily see the quality of the play environment and the community it engenders turning some facilities into permanent "mini-cons". Entrepreneurs may need to add hosting, booking, and property management skills to their encyclopedic gaming knowledge.

That's an interesting topic. Why would that work? All of the things you listed are increasingly available at home and there isn't anything you listed that can't make it into a home product. Your hardest to replace items are also the items with the lowest penetration in RPG's, basically miniatures products.

I would also argue that the only reason why gaming spaces are even a thing today is because of Magic the Gathering, even at D&D's height I never encountered a store that even had a playspace much less a giant area for playing. Magic the Gathering attracts large numbers of people primarily because it bribes them with contests and prizes, when Mtg was just Arena League it had a fraction of the population it did when it turned to tournament play.

There is one way it could work, but it's a risky proposition. The Gaming Stores would have to rent DM's on an hourly basis as that's the biggest issue with RPG's, that would be something much harder to replace. But hiring, training, and having quality staff who can DM to me sounds quite challenging.

Community itself is always going to be a very small market, most people given a choice are going to opt to play amongst friends at somebody's house rather than all of them going to some game store.

The is one last way, but it's a *really* risky proposition to determine if it would work and it would require a major outlay of cash.

1. Start with a restaurant/bar setup
2. Bring in Pinball machines
3. Bring in Arcade machines (Golden age, not modern)
4. Bring in retro consoles
5. Purchase the major boardgames, offer them for rent
6. Have dedicated rooms for RPG's and such

Basically a nostalgia/retro version of Dave & Busters. That might work, selling the atmosphere that is no longer available might be a marketable product. Selling just a community will never work though, I've never seen any evidence that is viable at scale other than Mtg which is bribing people to show.

Coreyartus

Explorer
I'm not sure I am having the same gaming experience you are... In my corner of the world, there is a lot of enthusiasm to play and DM, but no private in-home playing space big enough to accommodate the interested group comfortably. And while there does exist the capacity to generate one's own printable materials and figs, and acquire all the tools and supplies to create one's own dioramas and wargaming models, the convenience of doing so requires coordination and a bit of an expenditure that's cost prohibitive to some. There are many I know who would pay a moderate fee for the convenience of a high-end, comfortable playing space with storage lockers, available maker-facilities, food services, digital appliances and on-line access, and gaming tools if they are all done well enough that the price is right. Many of the older generations have paid a monthly "club fee" to meet once a week at their various lodges and club houses to socialize, eat dinner, and spend time with their friends playing cards and games much like we younger folk do at gaming stores already. In the 80s and 90s there were lots of video arcades that had monthly memberships which offered x-number of tokens and discounts on food, etc.

Sure, it's possible to play without all that stuff or do it all on your own. But you're paying for convenience. I'm betting that some gaming stores will have to think outside the box and offer new features to sustain themselves as any products themselves aren't going to be enough to pay their rent. It does indeed "up-the-ante" into a much riskier proposition for starting gaming stores, but the world of gaming has changed a great deal and simply having a stock of items doesn't seem like it's enough anymore--it's simply too easy to get stuff delivered to your home.

And yeah, maybe having DM's available or featured playtesters to introduce new games might be something that some stores may decide to invest in--I know it's theoretically expensive and incredibly challenging, but some game stores already have paid employees that host/DM games sometimes as part of their customer outreach. It's not an unfeasible step to at least explore.

I, too, thought that most people would want to simply stay at home and play with their friends. But I'm realizing that there are aspects that being around a whole bunch of people with similar interests can proffer that simply can't be replicated in a private home setting--that's part of what makes conventions such a big draw... That "energy"/community is hard to connect to in one's living room. And I'm willing to bet people will be drawn to feeling that, and if there are enough conveniences available to cater to their likes, they'll pay for them (potentially).

Last edited by a moderator:

pogre

Legend
If the MtG bubble does burst, most of the gaming stores in my area are in big trouble. I'm not sure what the answer is, but community and the internet is part of it.

mflayermonk

First Post
Amazon is opening physical bookstores now.
Once that Amazon store comes to my area, I'm gonna pull up a table and start playing D&D in the middle of it.
"Well, I bought this books on Amazon"

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
If the MtG bubble does burst, most of the gaming stores in my area are in big trouble. I'm not sure what the answer is, but community and the internet is part of it.

Id second that. I have a single store local to me which is essentially a CCG shop. Yeah they stock some rpgs and Boardgames but it makes its money from CCGS and tournaments. Now if Magic ever declines beyond the gradual now, then that store simply wont survive. Sad but true.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm not sure I am having the same gaming experience you are... In my corner of the world, there is a lot of enthusiasm to play and DM, but no private in-home playing space big enough to accommodate the interested group comfortably. And while there does exist the capacity to generate one's own printable materials and figs, and acquire all the tools and supplies to create one's own dioramas and wargaming models, the convenience of doing so requires coordination and a bit of an expenditure that's cost prohibitive to some. There are many I know who would pay a moderate fee for the convenience of a high-end, comfortable playing space with storage lockers, available maker-facilities, food services, digital appliances and on-line access, and gaming tools if they are all done well enough that the price is right. Many of the older generations have paid a monthly "club fee" to meet once a week at their various lodges and club houses to socialize, eat dinner, and spend time with their friends playing cards and games much like we younger folk do at gaming stores already. In the 80s and 90s there were lots of video arcades that had monthly memberships which offered x-number of tokens and discounts on food, etc.

Sure, it's possible to play without all that stuff or do it all on your own. But you're paying for convenience. I'm betting that some gaming stores will have to think outside the box and offer new features to sustain themselves as any products themselves aren't going to be enough to pay their rent. It does indeed "up-the-ante" into a much riskier proposition for starting gaming stores, but the world of gaming has changed a great deal and simply having a stock of items doesn't seem like it's enough anymore--it's simply too easy to get stuff delivered to your home.

And yeah, maybe having DM's available or featured playtesters to introduce new games might be something that some stores may decide to invest in--I know it's theoretically expensive and incredibly challenging, but some game stores already have paid employees that host/DM games sometimes as part of their customer outreach. It's not an unfeasible step to at least explore.

I, too, thought that most people would want to simply stay at home and play with their friends. But I'm realizing that there are aspects that being around a whole bunch of people with similar interests can proffer that simply can't be replicated in a private home setting--that's part of what makes conventions such a big draw... That "energy"/community is hard to connect to in one's living room. And I'm willing to bet people will be drawn to feeling that, and if there are enough conveniences available to cater to their likes, they'll pay for them (potentially).

The problem with all of this is that amount of people who would pay for this sort of convienence in relation to the larger RPG "community" is SMALL. The table top RPG community is also notoriously CHEAP and tend to complain about spending money on ANYTHING. They complain about subsciption services, they complain about the costs of miniatures, they complain about the cost of books, they complain about how many books are out and how much they cost. This is a hobby where I dont think the top designers are being paid anything over 100k a year and people think that these gaming complanies are raking it in hand over fist.

So while YOU and I would spend the money for the convience of having a lodge type setting (and even I have my trepidations for completely different reasons) I really beleive that most gamers would not.

Your idea does legitimately does sound GREAT though.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Not really irrational if you enjoy going to a nerds' paradise and seeing people, etc. I can be the same way. Easy enough to buy online but it's good to take a drive and get out.

people will look for maximum utility. for some, nerds' paradise and people has utility. for others, getting a good at a cheaper price will be the difference. in aggregate, more people find that the added utility is not worth MSRP.

I am not saying it is good or right but unfortunately simply the case.

Worse still, many people can get the utility provided by a game store for free, leave and buy online. that also sucks but reality often does...

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Amazon is opening physical bookstores now.
Once that Amazon store comes to my area, I'm gonna pull up a table and start playing D&D in the middle of it.
"Well, I bought this books on Amazon"

Hell that sparks an idea. What if an online/brick and mortar company puts its mark on the books? those marked get free entry into the play space or some other additional benefit? Buy elsewhere and pay a nominal fee...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wrestled with buying amazon every new release..with all the d&d related stuff coming out soon it would save about $40-$50 for all of them over going to my store, Dr Nos, in Marietta Ga. Cliff and his staff are awesome so I'll pay slightly higher price and drive that 45 miles one way to pick up my comics and RPG items to support the store...plus I do get the books about 14 days before I would with amazon!

45 miles one way. Man, I would pay more to buy on Amazon just to have it delivered to my door.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads