Can Hobby Stores Make Their Saving Throw?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?
View attachment 86116
[h=3]From Craftspeople to Chain Stores[/h]Retail stores came into vogue in the 1870s. Prior to that point, shoppers primarily dealt with craftspeople locally:

It wasn’t until mass manufacturing gathered steam, fueled by the national railroad and wider transportation networks, that the concept of a department store became viable. John Wanamaker, whom many generally regard as the pioneer of marketing, opened the first department store in Philadelphia in 1876. Unlike small shops at the time, Wanamaker’s made use of price tags and a money-back guarantee. Out went constant haggling with small-time proprietors, and with it, various cottage industries.

It didn't take long for another company to upend the department store mode. It was Sears who cut out the middleman, a sort of Amazon of its day:

Just as Wanamaker and its progeny—Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Saks, and others—forever changed the retail landscape in dense cities, Sears made a dent in sparsely populated rural areas. Sears, Roebuck & Co.’s mail-order business flourished at a time when farmers in rural America were selling their crops for cash and buying what they needed from rural general stores.

And so that model continued. Until now.
[h=3]Death of a Salesman[/h]Retail store closings have been accelerating for some time, but the rate of closures has sharply increased this year. Jackie Wattles reports at CNN:

Brokerage firm Credit Suisse said in a research report released earlier this month that it's possible more than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores will close their doors in 2017. For comparison, the report says 2,056 stores closed down in 2016 and 5,077 were shuttered in 2015. The worst year on record is 2008, when 6,163 stores shut down. "Barely a quarter into 2017, year-to-date retail store closings have already surpassed those of 2008," the report says. If stores do close at the rate Credit Suisse is projecting, it could mean America will lose more than 147 million square feet of retail space this year.

Why is this happening? The decline, triggered by the global recession in 2008, has two primary drivers, cheaper clothing alternatives and online shopping:

The growth of cheap, trendy fast-fashion has been unstoppable in the US in the past decade. To illustrate the point, Macy’s famous Manhattan flagship store on 34th Street now shares the corridor with three H&M stores, including the world’s largest, which is literally across the street from one of its other locations. Internet retailers have been grabbing customers from department stores, too, and reducing foot traffic to their brick-and-mortar stores. Financial firm Cowen and Company predicts department-store apparel sales will grow a little in the coming years, but Amazon will blow past them to surpass Macy’s as the biggest clothing retailer in the US by 2017.

It's easy to see why some analysts are predicting the death of brick-and-mortar altogether. And yet there are standouts.
[h=3]Those Still Standing[/h]There are companies that are thriving in this new economic environment, like discount retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, which points to price being a primary factor in the decline of brick-and-mortar. But more high-priced stores are doing well too. Apple's model in particular shows that experience is still important to customers, and that's good news for geek stores.

Hobby stores can resist these trends. A defining trait of geekdom is its devoted fan base, a key attribute for return customers. Additionally, hobby gaming in particular is a participatory experience that requires more than just a sale. Synchrony Financial's white paper, "The Future of Retail," explains the key attributes that will differentiate stores in the future, and geek stores fit the bill:

Brick and mortar stores will exist in the future, but there will be fewer of them. A new model of delivering not only products, but also genuine brand experiences is emerging. People are social by nature and will be drawn to gathering places to share ideas and be entertained. It’s not just about making money. It’s about building trust. Retailers who tap into this trend will be rewarded.

Hobby gaming also tends to have a much stronger form of brand identification that encourages loyalty:

In high-involvement categories, specialty retailers will remain a go-to, but variety will be important. With that said, shoppers are reaching a tipping point around American consumption. Feelings of angst about acquiring too much “stuff” is driving a shift toward purchasing experiences rather than things.

ICv2 notes that stores are recognizing the value of geekdom by shifting their inventories, with Barnes & Noble, Gamestop, and FYE jumping on the geek bandwagon.

Although the future of brick-and-mortar stores looks uncertain, it seems likely hobby gaming outlets -- with their interactive experiences, loyal fan base, and strong brands -- will come out stronger from the downturn.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm not sure I am having the same gaming experience you are... In my corner of the world, there is a lot of enthusiasm to play and DM, but no private in-home playing space big enough to accommodate the interested group comfortably. And while there does exist the capacity to generate one's own printable materials and figs, and acquire all the tools and supplies to create one's own dioramas and wargaming models, the convenience of doing so requires coordination and a bit of an expenditure that's cost prohibitive to some. There are many I know who would pay a moderate fee for the convenience of a high-end, comfortable playing space with storage lockers, available maker-facilities, food services, digital appliances and on-line access, and gaming tools if they are all done well enough that the price is right. Many of the older generations have paid a monthly "club fee" to meet once a week at their various lodges and club houses to socialize, eat dinner, and spend time with their friends playing cards and games much like we younger folk do at gaming stores already. In the 80s and 90s there were lots of video arcades that had monthly memberships which offered x-number of tokens and discounts on food, etc.

Sure, it's possible to play without all that stuff or do it all on your own. But you're paying for convenience. I'm betting that some gaming stores will have to think outside the box and offer new features to sustain themselves as any products themselves aren't going to be enough to pay their rent. It does indeed "up-the-ante" into a much riskier proposition for starting gaming stores, but the world of gaming has changed a great deal and simply having a stock of items doesn't seem like it's enough anymore--it's simply too easy to get stuff delivered to your home.

And yeah, maybe having DM's available or featured playtesters to introduce new games might be something that some stores may decide to invest in--I know it's theoretically expensive and incredibly challenging, but some game stores already have paid employees that host/DM games sometimes as part of their customer outreach. It's not an unfeasible step to at least explore.

I, too, thought that most people would want to simply stay at home and play with their friends. But I'm realizing that there are aspects that being around a whole bunch of people with similar interests can proffer that simply can't be replicated in a private home setting--that's part of what makes conventions such a big draw... That "energy"/community is hard to connect to in one's living room. And I'm willing to bet people will be drawn to feeling that, and if there are enough conveniences available to cater to their likes, they'll pay for them (potentially).

You really have to know the market. In areas with high population densities, people will pay just to have a nice space to play at. But in much of the USA, for example, those who can afford to pay for space and gaming-club membership probably own their own homes or have apartments with enough space to host a game. And for most, it is more convenient and comfortable to play at home. As DM, I don't even like to play at other peoples homes, because lugging all my stuff around is no fun.

Gaming stores have to do more to draw people like me in. One the one hand, as a 40-something professional getting back into gaming, I have much more disposable income than I did in high school and college. On the other hand, I am much more busy and much more demanding. I also have lower tolerance for poor service and inconsiderate customers.

But community is a powerful draw. I think smart game stores can bring people in with nice playing spaces, good food and beverage options, events, and creating a space to bring gamers and other providers together.

I spend a lot of money at my nearby game store. About twice a month I go there with my two sons. Sometimes with one or more of their friends in tow. Sometimes I meet my friends with their kids there. We'll spend $10-20 on food an drink over the 2-3 hours we are there. I almost every other time I'm there, I will buy an expansion to a game or a new game, simply because I'm there and we are ready to play.

My gamer friends and I will often go their instead of a bar or our homes. Unless there is a great band playing, most bars and pubs given an awful entertainment return on money spent. I would rather get some beer on tab at the game store where we can actually hear each other talk and play some games (yeah, I sound old, but even in my teens and 20, bars were boring to me if there was no live music).

I don't know how well video arcade games would fit into the picture, but many of the other ideas seem sound, especially if you offer club memberships with discounts and priority on table rentals, lockers, merchandise, and services.

Offer on-line table reservations. Every table should be numbered. You reserve the table for specific time slots for a small fee.

Offer classes on miniature painting for a fee that includes a miniature and paints. Similar classes can be offered for terrain building. You can also offer classes for cross-over interests. Maybe have a doll-house maker show the tricks of the trade for making miniature furniture. Something many DMs who make their own battlemap terrain would find useful but will also draw people from outside the normal gaming community into the store.

Offer discounts for programs like big brothers and big sisters to give mentors another inexpensive option for bringing the kids they are mentoring to—while introducing kids to gaming.

Host traditional game nights where people teach old card games and various games from around the world and from history. Again, gamers would like that but it would also draw people from outside the traditional gamer crowd.

Have a number of private rooms that can be rented for parties. Have them equipped or offer service to set up for on-line streaming of the games (as others have mentioned above)

Rent out complete terrain sets. If the price is right, people would do that. I've seen game stores have terrain that people can use for free, but I think for the right quality and convenience people would pay to have access to great sets that they can't afford or would not want to buy or create themselves for a single session.

Host 1 day or 1 week summer "camps" for kids (not sure when we started calling every summer activity for kids in the USA a "camp" but that's the norm now). I've seen gaming camps offered and a game store that already has kitchen facilities and if it has sections that can blocked off, like large event rooms, could do this for not much more investment and these "camps" can make good money.

Other mentioned 3D-printing services and someone above stated that you can just do this at home. Yeah, I guess. But most home printers are slow, need space, and just are not that convenient if you don't enjoy it. I think people would be willing to select a terrain item or miniature and purchase it to be printed at a game store. Libraries already offer this service as do some traditional copy/print shops. I may make sense for game stores to partner with another company for this. Take a small percentage but have someone else responsible for running and maintaining the equipment.

There are many other things that clever shop owners could do to make them not reliant on just moving product. Of everything listed though, I think the food an alcohol are what will make the money. Everything else is to create community and bring people in. They would also likely make more money selling product as well, because of impulse/convenience purchases.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
One factor in the death of bricks-and-mortar retailers is False Advertising.

Advertise a product is on sale. Have maybe 5 pieces in stock. When you run out (and you will, fast) tell every subsequent customer they can fill out a rain check or buy something else, like this (very expensive) similar item over here...

Amazon, in contrast, never runs out of stock, or they put an Alert tag on it: "only 5 items left!" They have a wide variety of near-copy items that are in stock.

Sears is a special case: it has a {CEO / majority stockholder / every other important post} who is actively working to destroy the company and wring all the cash he can out of it on the way down.

FLGS is resistant to these factors (but not immune); they usually believe that you should stock what you sell, or tell your customers ahead of time that you are taking orders of the product for near-future delivery.

vongarr

First Post
Few want to really think this through. It all comes down to harsh realities. I do not think the answer is a binary choice though.

If I can get the same product more cheaply from an online source what does economics tell us? Its pretty simple. Unless there is added utility from a game store and the distribution channel, consumers will bypass it. I love game stores. However, what I am saying seems to hold true across many retailers.

Does this mean that there is no place for a game store? I believe they will have to adapt.

For example, Miniature Market and Cool Stuff are physical stores that grew an online presence. One of them is local to me. They sell and they sell more cheaply and as a result, they move units.

The problem with a hobby shop charging premium prices is that people can get so much information online for free and as the utility of the hobby shop experience goes down, people are less willing to pay the premium. Not only that, but the online presence means that a person in a rural or unsupported area is even less likely to travel to a hobby shop.

The answer lies is a joint venture. The prices need to come down. For this to happen, more units have to be sold and the online presence is the only way to make this happen on a reasonable scale.

If this happens, I do in fact browse at the hobby shop AND make my purchase there. As it is, I browse and buy something, but often make my bigger purchase online. It is fun to browse, but not worth a 33% markup.

My sense of charity is directed to charities that support ill children and so forth. I do not feel compelled to keep my FLGS open. However, the FLGS that does not charge too much of a premium gets my money.

I will pay a premium for greater utility. I paid more for example to get my 5th edition Player's Handbook sooner. I could not wait and they got a little extra money from me in exchange for their early release.

In my perfect world, these brick and mortar stores will survive! But I believe they will have to adapt in order to do so. No amount of sentimentality is going to do the trick. I have seen people complain bitterly about online competition. Complaining will not change a thing. Getting a webpage and a competitive price will make all the difference.

I don't want to be That Guy, but paying full MSRP is not a markup. It isn't really paying a premium, either. Other retailers discounting a book does not make a full MSRP book marked up.

CydKnight

Explorer
Interestingly, the one I frequent is actually getting ready to move to a location in the same complex that is twice the current size. This past Monday night you couldn't find an empty seat at a table. Apparently patrons are buying more than just snacks and drinks too.

No game, comic, or hobby store near me participated in Free RPG day. There are a lot of stores within a 30-minute highway drive from my house, and almost all of them have open game spaces and carry RPG books. That's the sort of short-sighted lack of customer service that I find in most (not all) game stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I don't want to be That Guy, but paying full MSRP is not a markup. It isn't really paying a premium, either. Other retailers discounting a book does not make a full MSRP book marked up.

It FEELS like a markup when there are so many other ways to get the product.

On a side note, some have said that a store with an online presence cannot compete with the big guys. Tell that to Cool Stuff and Miniature Market! Both are fantastic.

If a store front was even CLOSE to the discount offered online, I would pay a more in store to avoid shipping and to have it immediately.

Having it on a shelf is not enough for me to pay MSRP however. I am able to (for example) go to a certain boardgame site and see games totally unboxed and up close. Going to the store does not give much of an advantage. But the real problem is that people can still browse in the store and buy elsewhere.

They have to find a way to add value commensurate with MSRP vs. discount pricing. Early releases, special added content, something...

I am not saying I want them to fold at all. There is a lot of nostalgia there. Just on the whole I do not think nostalgia will be enough for enough people moving forward.

I have been wrong before however...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
No game, comic, or hobby store near me participated in Free RPG day. There are a lot of stores within a 30-minute highway drive from my house, and almost all of them have open game spaces and carry RPG books. That's the sort of short-sighted lack of customer service that I find in most (not all) game stores.

That has nothing to do with customer service. It may show a lack of marketing savvy, but it isn't poor customer service. I don't know the economics of Free RPG day, but if you have a "lot" of game stores near you and NONE of them participated, methinks it isn't a good deal for game stores. Free comic day seems to be a great success, but there may just be better industry support. It is easier to give stacks of comics away than any RPG material that people would be interested in.

I think most games stores should be going the other direction. Class up the joint and provide a premium experience.

Stores with blue-light specials, and lots of sales, and give-away days, and other gimmicks that attract the cheap customer, are generally the same places have poor to mediocre customer service. That may work with stores like Walmart, but there is no game store that can compete against Amazon for the discount seekers.

Games stores need to wash their hands of the cheap and budget-challenged hobbyist. The folks that are constantly complaining about the price of RPG materials are not going to keep you in business. They can buy direct from publishers, from Amazon, or the they just download pirated copies.

I'm not going to rehash all the ways FLGS can up their game, read the posts above. But trying to go cheap and attract customers with freebies and discounts seems like a losing business model.

While I agree with the statement, it flies in the face of customer perception. The near ubiquity of discounted online sellers (of everything) has caused a cognitize disconnect for many customers regarding MSRP. I look at the price of books on Amazon and when my mind wanders I do the math and realize that back when I was in the retail business I was paying almost as much for product I was selling as I would now pay to buy it for myself though Amazon.

That has nothing to do with customer service. It may show a lack of marketing savvy, but it isn't poor customer service.

I would call it a lack of customer service because they failed to bring the products to their customer base. It's also poor marketing, particularly since Free RPG Day is designed to get more people into game shops. They could have had me and a lot of other people in their stores on that day, and I always try to buy something under those circumstances. Instead, I have to buy the products used on eBay. Since I'm out that much money, I'll get more of my products on Amazon for cheaper than MSRP, rather than buying them in one of the stores.

The retailers do have to pay for shipping, but decide how much they want to get. I can understand why struggling game stores might be hesitant, but not the ones that can afford to do so.

I think most games stores should be going the other direction. Class up the joint and provide a premium experience.

Most gamers are not going to pay more for a "premium experience," unless we're talking about something really cool. That stuff costs money, and you have to charge more to make up the difference. It's not worth the cost of losing frugal (not "cheap") customers. Every store should focus on providing good customer service - that's not something that should be considered "premium."

While I agree with the statement, it flies in the face of customer perception. The near ubiquity of discounted online sellers (of everything) has caused a cognitize disconnect for many customers regarding MSRP. I look at the price of books on Amazon and when my mind wanders I do the math and realize that back when I was in the retail business I was paying almost as much for product I was selling as I would now pay to buy it for myself though Amazon.

Yep. Though MSRP is the official "standard" price, the functional standard price is the Amazon price.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads