D&D 5E I played a game of Classic D&D.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I love 5E but joined another group and playing Classic D&D.

It was so different it wasn't even close to 5E. It was horrible in every possible way.

People Died left and right, like sometimes for almost no reason. I felt like I was in the middle of a warzone.

The 1st level cleric had no spells. He just looked at me and said"Got to prove my faith before my god gives me $%$%$."

I died. Made another character in 3 minutes and then died again.

It was horrible.

There wasn't some huge earth shattering adventure either it was like Monday out on the edge of the wild,near a small town.

For some reason I loved it far more than all my 5E games combined. Crap! Maybe I'm a old schooler at heart! or maybe it's just a thing that will blow over when i never reach 2nd level.

Still, the only thing I didn't like was race as class and the DM had house rules that got rid of that. Though you did need a lot more exp to level as a Elf. Elves must be rare as all get out!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
If I could get my group to play BECMI or 1e I'd drop 5e in a second. Different game, different assumptions in play and all that. Glad you had a lot of fun even while getting killed! Early editions were not as much about plotting out a 1-20 career path and assuming you were going to live through it since you are a hero! :lol:

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's because elves are basically a fighter AND a magic user, FYI.

But I'm glad you had fun. There's something to be said about a game where it only takes 3 minutes to make a PC, which is a good thing if half of them end up dying ;) Also, it feels like a much greater accomplishment when you have a mid or higher level PC back in those days. After all, a fighter was called a hero just at level 4. For good reason :D

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I recently played in a Lamentations of the Flame Princess game which is ostensibly a "classic D&D" type game. I lost five characters in two sessions. I can't say I enjoyed the game all that much except that I like the people in that group.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I remember playing a Wizard in Basic D&D.
After using my one spell a day, I was a guy - with 1 HP - wearing a robe waving a knife around trying to look dangerous.
(Somebody invent a time machine so the poor fellow can learn a cantrip!)

Back then (my high school years, 1980+), the game did not really support what I like to do now: find some clever use of the equipment in my backpack.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Of course the game allowed you to be creative with equipment. It's probably just the DM that didn't.

Flaming Oil kept Magic Users in business in combat.

A group of mine dodged a Green Slime, then encountered a load of Zombies - the non melee types dipped torches in the Slime and hurled them at the undead!

The Old Crow

Explorer
Last year I planned a Tour de D&D. The idea was to play 1st level as Basic, 2nd level as 2e (minus our groups myriad house rules), 3rd level as 3e, 4th as 4e, and finally 5th as 5e, and just convert the characters as best we can. Actually we didn't make it past basic, because I was waiting for the characters to get enough xp to organically make second level before advancing them to the next stage. My mistake (oops). Still, it was educational, and I loved how straightforward and uncomplicated it was.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
If the DM is playing honestly in 5E, it is just about impossible to kill characters off due to everybody having some kind of healing ability, rage (damage against you is reduced), 2nd wind and so on. Bards can heal, Rogues can attack then disengage, Warlocks, well dont get me started on that class lol.

I remember dying alot when I played 1E AD&D, the only healing you had either came from a cleric or a potion. We older DM's are now see'ing the legacy of the World of Warcraft mentality in paper and pen RPG's designs. In D&D 3.5, you could still die sometimes but 4E took D&D to an MMO level of playing and 5E I think continues this trend but in a lot less transparent way.

Scott

Nailen

Explorer
Interesting.
My group have basically just switched the other way. We played BECMI (well, BE) for the past 10 years or so and switched to 5E just before Christmas. We love it - rapid progression to 3rd level, plenty of options to develop your character, love the Adv/Disadv rules.
We like the 'hero narrative' type of game, so panicking less about being killed has added to our enjoyment.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If the DM is playing honestly in 5E, it is just about impossible to kill characters off due to everybody having some kind of healing ability, rage (damage against you is reduced), 2nd wind and so on. Bards can heal, Rogues can attack then disengage, Warlocks, well dont get me started on that class lol.

I remember dying alot when I played 1E AD&D, the only healing you had either came from a cleric or a potion. We older DM's are now see'ing the legacy of the World of Warcraft mentality in paper and pen RPG's designs. In D&D 3.5, you could still die sometimes but 4E took D&D to an MMO level of playing and 5E I think continues this trend but in a lot less transparent way.

Scott

What does it mean for the DM to "play honestly?" What does a DM playing "dishonestly" such that, I guess, PCs are dying look like?

Remove ads