D&D 5E How I prep monsters in 5E D&D.

Clint_L

Hero
I either start with a monster that works really well with where the story is headed, or a miniature/terrain set that I really want to use. Then I see if there's a version that fits with the general challenge level of the party, and if not, and I really want that monster, I tweak as necessary, using monster builder on DnDBeyond, which automates things and makes sure that I can still use the monster in the encounter builder, which is a priority.

I find that there are enough creatures in all the many publications available through DDB that mostly I can use them right out of the book; it's usually the BBEG that gets modified, if anything does.

Oofta

Legend
I almost always just use monsters straight out of the book unless I have a very specific scenario in mind. Most of the time my prep is super simple because I'm lazy; figure out a monster type(s) appropriate for the scenario and in the CR range I have in mind. Pick a handful, change the description if necessary. That's all.

I tend to prep a few more encounters than I think I will need for the session in order to have a an encounter with a different feel, basically because I never have an idea how long things are going to take. That, and it depends on my read of the group, sometimes they're bored with RP and just seem to be itching for a fight, sometimes the opposite.

I occasionally make custom monsters. If I want minion-like monsters I'll take a lower level monster, add to their attack bonus and damage and leave it at that. Sometimes I'll just do straight up custom if I have something special in mind, I just use the general guidelines from the DMG for that. Probably the most work I do is with casters to customize their spell list both to add new spells and to give them spells that I think make sense for that NPC.

Larnievc

Hero
How I prep monsters in 5E D&D (a 7 and a half step process ;) ).
1. I choose the appropriate monster based on the scenario, terrain, my understanding of its relative power throughout my time running D&D of various editions, etc. . .​
2. I look up the monster in the 5E Monster Manual or other 5E book that might contain it. I might also google it.​
3. I inevitably find it unflavorful and mechanically dull and/or not the power level I want.​
4. I look to see if I can find it in MCDM's Flee Mortals
5a. If it is in there, I inevitably quibble with their thematic take but take note of what abilities they give it.​
5b. If it isn't there, I look at similar monsters, if present, and take note of their abilities.​
6. I look up the monster in the 1E and/or 2E (rarely, 3E) MM and read about it and see how its powers worked (however vaguely written) back then.​
7. I make my own version, taking/tweaking powers from Flee Mortals or other sources and/or making them up using the older edition versions as a guide.​
7a. If necessary, I peek at @SlyFlourish and Co's Forge of Foes and do some very rough monster math - mostly to have a CR I can use to award XP for defeating it (though this is a new thing, and I am just as likely to just eyeball it).​

Basically every time. Today I did it for the Black Pudding. This is not a complaint, tho.

It work for me and I am not sure that even if I found the 5E MM to be a better book, that my inclination to tweak would not lead me down the same basic path. For me, it feels like the culmination of an approach I started doing in 3E (customizing monsters) but not as fiddly.
I just choose one of my monster books and go through until I find a monster about CR= 1/3 the total party level. Then I keep looking to find a bunch of mooks and reskin then to fit with the first monster.

Then I take a photo so I can use my phone for quick look up.

Total CR around 1/2 tpl. Then I adjust things on the fly if I need to.

As I enjoy leafing through monster books I don’t really care how long it takes.

okay whose used Flee Mortals! and how? I keep looking at it to redesign my monsters, but feels like a serious can of worms. Is there a coles notes version for converting or building? It might be in the book, but I keep bouncing off it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
okay whose used Flee Mortals! and how? I keep looking at it to redesign my monsters, but feels like a serious can of worms. Is there a coles notes version for converting or building? It might be in the book, but I keep bouncing off it.
I'll tell you the truth, I kind of bounced off it too. The direction they took the monster abilities just doesn't jibe with my preferences in a million little ways that don't make me want to run with them. I like the idea of stone giants with skin so hard it breaks mundane weapons. I am not so keen on it making magic items lose their magic for a round or whatever. It is like the perceived need to have it not be an effect that higher level characters can just ignore supersedes how we imagine that working. Or maybe I have a stunted imagination. <shrug>

That said, I have had some success with using different monster powers from it piecemeal in my own homebrews with or without tweaks.

yeah, I just did some cross comparison and I'll post a few here, but I'm not seeing any patterns what so ever:

I'll start with the Baslisk:

Here's a comparison of the basilisk from "Flee Mortals" to the 5e Monster Manual version:

Armor Class:
  • "Flee Mortals": 15 (natural armor)
  • 5e Monster Manual: 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points:
  • "Flee Mortals": 65 (10d8 + 20)
  • 5e Monster Manual: 52 (8d8 + 16)
Speed:
  • "Flee Mortals": 30 ft.
  • 5e Monster Manual: 20 ft.
Ability Scores:
  • "Flee Mortals": STR 16, DEX 10, CON 15, INT 2, WIS 8, CHA 7
  • 5e Monster Manual: STR 16, DEX 8, CON 15, INT 2, WIS 8, CHA 7
Damage Immunities:
  • "Flee Mortals": poison
  • 5e Monster Manual: none
Condition Immunities:
  • "Flee Mortals": petrified, poisoned
  • 5e Monster Manual: petrified
Senses:
  • "Flee Mortals": darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
  • 5e Monster Manual: darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages:
  • "Flee Mortals": none
  • 5e Monster Manual: none
Proficiency Bonus:
  • "Flee Mortals": +2
  • 5e Monster Manual: +2
Special Abilities:
  • "Flee Mortals" has "Alchemical Ingredients" and "Toxic Ichor," which are not present in the 5e Monster Manual version.
Actions:
  • "Flee Mortals" has the actions "Petrifying Eye Beams" and "Poison Fumes," which are not present in the 5e Monster Manual version.
Reactions:
  • "Flee Mortals" has the reaction "Poison Splash," which is not present in the 5e Monster Manual version.

I did breakdowns of the Green hag, Harpy, Hellhound, Medusa, Mimic, Minotaur, Ogre, Owlbear, Shrambling Mound, Stirge, Troll, Ghoul and Skeleton. I'll be more then happy to post these or do more analysis if the monster appears in both products.

So far the only change might be putting the CR in the header block and role, but still stewing.

How I prep monsters in 5E D&D (a 7 and a half step process ;) ).
1. I choose the appropriate monster based on the scenario, terrain, my understanding of its relative power throughout my time running D&D of various editions, etc. . .​
2. I look up the monster in the 5E Monster Manual or other 5E book that might contain it. I might also google it.​
This is where I stop.

Then:
3. I think how to design the surrounding and composition with other monsters to make it a memorable encounter.

It is usually not a lack of gotcha abilities that makes combat unfun, but just putting them in a boxing arena (white room) and say: "fight".

Remove ads