Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

[video=youtube;dtwpjnuaVTE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtwpjnuaVTE[/video]

Well...i'm excited, but I still have my doubts..OTOH depending how they do it, it may have an awesome soundtrack lol

MarkB

Legend
I'm not sure how they'll cram the story into one movie, but it looks awesome - they've captured the look of the Stacks perfectly, and it looks like they're doing a good job with the action set-pieces. Loved the image of the DeLorean in the car chase. The main character's narration sounds straight out of Wil Wheaton's audiobook rendition, which is promising.

I'm not sure how they'll cram the story into one movie, but it looks awesome - they've captured the look of the Stacks perfectly, and it looks like they're doing a good job with the action set-pieces. Loved the image of the DeLorean in the car chase. The main character's narration sounds straight out of Wil Wheaton's audiobook rendition, which is promising.

From what I understand they have had to cut a number of shout outs due to issues with rights and such, which is why I have my doubts.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From what I understand they have had to cut a number of shout outs due to issues with rights and such, which is why I have my doubts.
What happened was that Spielberg decided to cut out any references to his own films because he felt it would come across as self-serving.

Bring it! Hopefully it lives up to the book, which while not great literature, was at least a great Gen X nostalgia trip.

I wonder if the car chase vs the Sixxors replaces the space combat. More things to break, crash, and blow up in a car chase (plus maybe they didn't get the Star Wars license for some of the ships?).

Last edited:

Bring it! Hopefully it lives up to the book, which while not great literature, was at least a great Gen X nostalgia trip.

I wonder if the car chase vs the Sixxors replaces the space combat. More things to break, crash, and blow up in a car chase (plus maybe they didn't get the Star Wars license for some of the ships?).

Not just SW, there's also firefly, Ultraman, Cowboy Bebop, among many others

As a side note if I were a Gunter, I'd see about having a Super Star Destroyer rigged with a program to help me run it as my base of operations lol

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I dunno. I imagine Spielberg knows the Disney execs socially. I’m sure he could wangle it.

I’m hopeful for it, but I didn’t recall any of the action scenes in the trailer as having been in the book. The trailer looks pretty cool, and it is certainly too short to pass judgment, but that’s setting off some warning bells for me.

So I'm wondering how they'll really pull much of this off. Movies need to "show, not tell," but so much of the book happens in the main character's head, and he's essentially on a solo quest much of the time -- so no sidekick to explain things to. There could be a voice-over (awkward); I don't see fourth-wall-breaking to be workable. I'd hate to see them pair up the Gunters to provide a means of explanation, but I guess that wouldn't be the worst think.

Any ideas on how they might adapt?

Remove ads