The Simbul ported to D&D 5th Edition & Bonus: Scarlet Witch (MCU)

chickenwings

Villager
This is my rendition of The Simbul from the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms campaign setting, ported to D&D 5th Edition.

This is her at the peak of her power, around the time of Elminster in Hell.

Link

I tried to make a spellcaster who could just barge into The Nine Hells and pretty much tear a hole into them with fire-based spells (somehow).

I drew lots of inspiration from Jaerom Darkwind's improved version of The Simbul (3.5), which is designed to reflect her power level in Elminster in Hell as well.

She might need more spell slots to do that, but I'm confident that with her current build, obscene number of sorcery points, and magical items she could muster something. Also, at that time, Mystra was probably aiding her, which would explain the infinite barrage of spells.

**SPOILERS FOR 5TH EDITION CANON BELOW**

Unfortunately, she's dead now in canon (she sacrificed herself), but I think it gives a pretty good idea of what the most powerful spellcasters can do once they reach that level. Personally, I enjoy the old Forgotten Realms setting more than the post-spellplague one, so it's more relevant to me, and might be to others as well.

Or you could draw inspiration from this to determine what a very old and powerful spellcaster could do in your own campaign, or use this as a template for other Chosen of Mystra characters. Some of them still draw breath ;) Regardless, enjoy!

Also, here's a link to Scarlet Witch's stats, or at least what I think seems reasonable given what we've seen of her in the movies so far.

It's meant to replicate that as faithfully as possible (yes, that also means she's somewhat broken in a way), using D&D 5th Edition to do that to the best of my abilities. I purposefully didn't give her a "class" since I think that would only limit how I could make her stats best fit the movies.

More of a fun exercise really.

What do you think? Can you find ways to easily defeat The Simbul? :p

chickenwings

Villager
It's kinda hard I would say.

Her ability to delay her spells and concentrate on 2 of them makes her time stop castings very, very dangerous (she can, for instance, throw out 2-5 maximized meteor swarm in a single time stop by delaying them), which matches the power of what happens in Elminster in Hell

If she gets counterspelled, she just counterspells back, and regains her reaction later anyway.

You need extraordinary abilities in order to defeat her (Divine-like), which is what I was trying to achieve anyway.

I would say that no Red Wizard could defeat her, not even Szass Tam (although he could resist for a long while). If you include his whole army of Liches and stuff though, that's another story

Remove ads