Journey To...East Africa

There has been a recent resurgence of interest in Africa's past and present. A lack of archeological evidence hinders our ability to piece together many of the earliest myths. However, this has not stopped creators from forging ahead with great content, like MV Media's Ki Khanga or the general Afrofuturism movement. As we journey around the world seeking hidden lore, we find ourselves in ancient Africa. Today, we will explore some of the legends of East and North East Africa including Nubia/Kush and Ethiopia.

One cannot speak of Nubia and Kush(Cush) without mentioning Egypt. Over the centuries, these neighbors have been friends and enemies, with Kush occupying Upper Egypt after the latter's Middle Kingdom fell. However, the cultures mixed and mingled, leading to the Nubians taking many of the Egyptian gods as their own. It is not entirely known what religion was practiced in Kush prior to trading beliefs and gods with their Egyptian neighbors. This may limit access to a unique mythology, but there are still stories here to mine.

How would I use this? A dual monarchy or two kingdoms linked through religion could make for a great campaign setting. In a modern sense, perhaps rival corporations linked through common technology or family. However, I suggest looking to the stars. Imagine two widely varying non human species who have mingled so long their own myths and spirituality are barely distinguishable. Yet they have different cultures, needs, and ways of handling outsiders. Perhaps a story where humans try and hold into their own beliefs in the face of a frenemy group of aliens.

Our second stop today is Ethiopia or Aethopia. It can be difficult at times to know where Nubia and Ethiopia separate as there is a great deal of overlap in the regions. However, a powerful Ethiopian kingdom did rise in the 1st century CE, known as Aksum, bringing a bit more distinction to that part of the world. Ethiopia has a rich oral tradition, some of which can be found in the tales of other cultures and some unique to its own. The stories are full of animals and witches, morality tales and tribal histories, as well as a trove of other, familiar fantastical elements. Such a rich tapestry would reward a system or campaign heavy on storytelling and mythology as mechanics.

How would I use this? Subvert the narrative a bit. This is a powerful and rich culture that may seem primitive on the outside. Once players get involved as either members or outsiders, the true wonders of the society open up. Quests and missions are meaningful life moments, not just quick treasure grabs. The world is changed, made better or worse, by the actions of the players. This can work in any campaign from fantasy to science fiction.

Next time we delve into Central and Western Africa and how some of those mythologies have touched our modern life.

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
I would have to recommend Nyambe- African Adventures (Atlas Games, Chris Dolunt). Don't even need to look it up, I have recommended it sev times and have a thread on here re African Adventures. I used Chris's PDFs before he got a publishing deal. A great starting place, esp for creatures, take on magic (inc items) and the setting itself. The races (esp the human racial groups) are fantastic. The classes and prestige classes were okay, but I am sure most people would be using different ruleset that 3E anyway, so just get this book for inspiration. I have borrowed a lot for sev of my settings :)

Not long ago got Southlands too. I have not read a lot but the creatures and stuff that came with Tome of Beast for it are very good. :)

Sadras

Legend
Ben Mcfarland did quite a bit of research into Africa for the Southlands setting for Midgard and Pathfinder.

https://koboldpress.com/kpstore/product/southlands-campaign-setting-for-pathfinder-rpg/

Sorry I might be completely wrong, and if I am - I'm certain someone will point it out, but from what I see from the preview this is just an RPG about Ancient Egypt + Aztec. There is much more to Africa than just one empire during a certain period. What happened to West Africa, Central or Southern Africa. There are a crap load of people, cultures + religions within Africa. I don't see many represented at all.

terraleon

Explorer
Sorry I might be completely wrong, and if I am - I'm certain someone will point it out, but from what I see from the preview this is just an RPG about Ancient Egypt + Aztec. There is much more to Africa than just one empire during a certain period. What happened to West Africa, Central or Southern Africa. There are a crap load of people, cultures + religions within Africa. I don't see many represented at all.

You're wrong. For the Southlands setting, we developed bits based on the Tuareg, ancient Egyptians, the Axumites, the Garamantians, the Malian Empire, old Zimbabwe, the Alamohads, Maghreb Berbers, the Kushites, Socotrans, Kilwah Sultanate, Swahili Coast, some bronze age Yemeni stuff by way of Ethiopia, some pre-colonial Ethiopian stuff, the 17C Zanzibar Pirates, Punics, a skosh of Zulu, some Prester John, a little bit of serpentfolk, created a race of body-horror waspfolk, and then threw in a bit of India in one city. But no Aztecs, of that I'm almost absolutely certain. Maybe hints with the lizardfolk, but that was a small section by a stretch author. I have probably close to three linear feet of reference for this book. :)

-Ben.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases