D&D 5E A Character Sheet for Beginners v2!

DM Magic

Adventurer
Update to v2.4.2b: Fixed halfling speed.

As an Adventurers League DM, I find myself teaching D&D a lot -- often to people who have no concept of what D&D is, or even what an RPG is for that matter.

Things came to a head last month when I taught D&D to three of my young nephews who very much love CRPGs, board games, and genre novels, movies, and television. Nevertheless, as soon as I handed them a 5th Edition pregen, their eyes glazed over -- the same look I've gotten time and time again over the years at conventions and in stores. And even though it's followed by an explanation of the rules, I'm only human; my explanations can range from succinct to confusing depending on where I am mentally when this all takes place.

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY!

Solution: I put my ten years of professional graphic design experience to use and made a character sheet for beginners. What went into this project is a lot of back and forth between new and old players alike; grognard or otherwise. It's come a long way from the first version, but this is it. It's done and ready to be used.

This sheet is meant to replace the pregens while providing an eye-catching, logical layout, as well as giving context to the rules by placing in-line explanations. It is meant for absolute newcomers, but can be useful for people who have a hard time remembering certain rules. It is not meant to be used past Level 1, nor is it meant to replace the DM, who should be on hand to provide answers to questions that the sheets will naturally bring up. It is also not meant for custom characters, though I have included blank versions as during its creation that was an often asked for addition. This also means I have no plans to provide form-fillable versions.

In the PDF is the five pregens from the Starter Set in 11x17, 8.5x14, and 8.5x11, each in full color, black & white, and printer friendly.

I hope this is of some use to the people out there who want a quicker, easier way of teaching D&D 5th Edition!

Lastly, as we are in the digital age, I will never consider it "done." So if anyone has any critiques or suggestions, please feel free to post them!

Color, Printer Friendly, and Black & White in 11x17, 8.5x14, and 8.5x11

Last edited:

DM Magic

Adventurer
Update to v2.1: Nothing major. I left-aligned the boxes on the bottom of the back page and added some writing-friendly areas to the blank sheet in the color pdf.

Tid.biT

Villager
Nice work.

A suggestion, in the Spellcasting section maybe if the saving throw DC and attack modifier could be presented outside of the text block it would be easier to glance at and find. Maybe those two values could be highlighted in the same style as the weapon attack modifier or the combat values.

DM Magic

Adventurer
Nice work.

A suggestion, in the Spellcasting section maybe if the saving throw DC and attack modifier could be presented outside of the text block it would be easier to glance at and find. Maybe those two values could be highlighted in the same style as the weapon attack modifier or the combat values.

That's a GREAT idea!

DM Magic

Adventurer
Nice work.

New version uploaded with Tid.biT's excellent suggestion.

:)

Tid.biT

Villager
Looks good DM Magic. I hope it makes it easier for players to use.

In the 8.5x11 format the spellcasting section doesn't appear to have changed.

Remove ads