D&D 5E Should PHB +1 apply to spells?

MostlyDm

Explorer
And please don't tell me you need the rules to tell you it's okay for you to go out there and purchase, then use, extra splatbooks...

I think the rules and design philosophy of 5e pretty clearly point towards a particular conclusion: you should use the extra books and optional rules that your DM says are appropriate for his campaign.

Saying "which is why many non-AL games don't follow the rule" implies there is a rule to follow. There isn't.

Again, it isn't a rule. Only in the small subset of games organized by the AL do several extra rules apply, and this is one of them.

Yes there is a rule. Their is an AL rule, as you state in the last half of you second paragraph. You contradict yourself.

Besides the OP states that he wants to follow the rule in order to make the character AL legal. So why are you telling us what we already know and what you yourself contradict in the same post?

Scratch that, I don't want to know.

thomkt

Explorer
Still doesn't change the fact that outside of AL a player might not even have heard of this rule.

And please don't tell me you need the rules to tell you it's okay for you to go out there and purchase, then use, extra splatbooks...

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

I was really confused by this thread....took me longer than I want to admit to figure out which magic item a PHB was, and what it had to do with spells :)

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the rules and design philosophy of 5e pretty clearly point towards a particular conclusion: you should use the extra books and optional rules that your DM says are appropriate for his campaign.
And I'm saying there's no reason to assume your DM will be using rules from a particular tournament.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yeah but if nobody is buying these books, then the game will die?
The game succeeds based on continued and sustained sales of the core rulebooks more than accessories.

New books take time and staff (and thus money) to make, and have to sell a fair number of copies before the books cut even. But every PHB sold this year is straight profit as the design costs have already been paid off.
The adventures being released are basically advertisements for the money making core rulebooks. WotC and D&D would probably be doing quite well right now even if they'd released half as many adventures and accessories.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yeah but if nobody is buying these books, then the game will die?
The game may 'die' in the sense of not getting new supplements published at some point, if they start selling really, really badly. But the core 3 will likely stay in print, and 3pps can always produce supplements. WotC/Hasbro may still be profit-motivated, but there are other ways to make money off a property than sell borderline-obsolete media (dead trees) to border-line-obsolete (aging) customers. ;) If they can keep the D&D brand image stable long enough to start the franchise in other media, that's a win.

Rapid publication leading to another edition cycle with the potential for another edition war might make a few more bucks on books for a few years, especially if the quality is there, but it could damage the brand (again).

Remove ads