Bard 10+/Warlock?

Not a Hobbit

Explorer
Dear ENworlders:

My group is about to finish with Curse of Strahd. We plan on playing further with these characters (those who survive, of course) after Strahd is defeated.

My Lore Bard is currently 9th level. She is the primary healer for the group. During her time in Barovia, she discovered that her family were members of the Keepers of the Feather. I plan on multiclassing into Warlock (probably after 10th level, so I can get Magic Secrets), but am not sure of how many levels would be best. Here's what I'm thinking, with pros/cons:

-2 levels of Warlock. Take Eldritch Blast for the minions. But for Big Bads, cast Sanctuary, use the help action to give the Paladin or Rogue advantage, and use my higher level slots for healing and control. I can get higher level Bard Spells, and Magic Secrets like Heal and Mass Heal. The main con is that I end up with a lot of 1st level spells, which if I'm just casting Sanctuary and Healing spells might not be so bad. Probably makes the most sense.

-5 levels of Warlock. Same as above, but can get Counterspell and Dispel Magic to take some of the load off of the Wizard, who can use his spell slots for high damage. 3rd level spells means I can cast lots of fireballs, which is always a good thing. I can still eventually get Heal as a Magic Secret, but not until 19th level.

-9 levels of Warlock. Will have lots of 5th level spells during the day, which I can use for more healing, more invisible party members, or Hold Monster. But I would miss out on 2 levels of Magic Secrets. And I don't know if having more 5th level spells would make up for not having fewer but more powerful spells.

I think that part of the problem is that few of the 6th-8th level Bard spells really appeal to me. If I do 14th and 18th level Magic Secrets, they would probably be Heal, Globe of Invulnerability, Mass Heal, and something like Disintegrate maybe. This is opposed to Warlock spells like Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Fly, and Banishment.

So there's the dilemma. Thoughts?

Thanks for reading this far, and for any suggestions.

--Scott

mellored

Legend
A nifty, possibly DM banned trick with sanctuary, is it only breaks when you cast a spell, not for sustaining one. This includes repeated damage from call lightning, spiritual weapon, flaming sphere, wall of flame, ect... just cast it first, sanctuary second.

Also, make sure you know what your losing. Foresight for the rogue beats help action. And mass suggestion to get minions to turn against their boss. Though if you have other control players, then you might need more damage.

Still, no need to rush it. Just take it one level at a time.

Remove ads