All NPCs have attitude.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Heh. Every time we meet an uppity PC in one of my friends' games, the first question we ask is, "Does he have two battleaxes under his bar apron?"

You haven't lived until your maxed-out Half Ogre is picked up by the neck by a human bartender and thrown against a wall. One-handed.

Skade

Explorer
Korimyr the Rat said:
Heh. Every time we meet an uppity PC in one of my friends' games, the first question we ask is, "Does he have two battleaxes under his bar apron?"

You haven't lived until your maxed-out Half Ogre is picked up by the neck by a human bartender and thrown against a wall. One-handed.

That is almost as bad as being snuck up on by a Frost Giant, in a cave, doing sneak attack damage and not being a rogue. He was very fond of Giants.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Skade said:

That is almost as bad as being snuck up on by a Frost Giant, in a cave, doing sneak attack damage and not being a rogue. He was very fond of Giants.

That DM doesn't even know the meaning of Sneak Attack. After a game like that, I suspect I would end up teaching him very quickly.

Of course, I've developed a hair-trigger "You suck! I quit!" reflex for gaming. Bad gaming isn't like bad breath-- no gaming is a better option. ;)

Tsyr

Explorer
There is a worse type of gaming, my friends, oh, yes there is.

Forget every NPC being a badass, and having old PCs of the DM push you around...

Try gaming under a girl who's ever NPC you are supposed to interact with has a cha, int, wis, and dex of 18+, is female, bubbly, probably has either cat features, a unicorn companion, glittery or metalic skin/eyes/hair/something, or some combination of all of the above, is very world-wise, and has so high of a bonus to bluff, inuendo, intimidate, etc, that she can basicly cast Charm Person at will, but uses magic to boot, as well as being a good fighter, and is well-known and respected by every other high-up NPC, and feared by all the bad guys.

Oh yes, I have gamed under that. *shudder*. And not just one DM, either, but two female DMs who did almost exactly the same thing. I have a somewhat dimmed opinion of female DMs (Unfairly, I grant you) because of those two people... *shudder*

One of them finaly got the hint, for a while, when we all got together and decided that our next game, we are all going to roll up gay guys who treated women like scum... Totaly offensive characters, I know, but it did get the message across when we simply refused to accept that the NPCs were able to charm us with their looks, attitude, etc.

Last edited:

Lalato said:
Oh yeah... and every shopkeeper drives the hardest possible bargain... almost as if they don't want to actually sell you anything.

--sam

I have seen this and I have seen player whine about this because they have decided in their head what a reasonable price is.

So all of a sudden the shopkeepers (and DM by proxy) are all being obstinant a-holes because they refuse to buy the fighters old +2 longsword for at least 7,000 gp.

Tsyr

Explorer
DocMoriartty said:

I have seen this and I have seen player whine about this because they have decided in their head what a reasonable price is.

So all of a sudden the shopkeepers (and DM by proxy) are all being obstinant a-holes because they refuse to buy the fighters old +2 longsword for at least 7,000 gp.

I've seen the former far more than the latter.

My favorite is lazy DM's who dont read allt he info when grabbing something out of a book.

My character was ambushsed in a common room of an inn by several thug looking NPC's. I let them do it cause I didnt fear them too much.

Then the fight happened and it turned out they all had AC's of 22 and dealt massive damage.

Finally I asked what the hell was going on. The DM finally checked the NPC's equipment list and told me they were all fighter in full plate armor, carrying large shields, and swinging warhammers.

I guess that fact just eluded my character when all 6 of them (identical in stats and gear) walked into the bar and surrounded him.

Tsyr said:

I've seen the former far more than the latter.

Never seen it as a player. The longest running DM I ever had (about 2 years) had only one major flaw. Hi gf played a character and she generally got pretty special treatment.

Now since she was only there about 1/4 of the time it was not a big deal at all.

BenBrown

First Post
1) Tell your DM that you're not enjoying this.

that's the first step. Be sure to have a good, non-whining explanation of what's wrong.

2) if that doesn't work, leave. There's no point in playing a game you don't enjoy. You can be bored and unhappy all by yourself.

Remove ads