D&D 5E Non Listed PHB changes

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

The PHB has an errata. However, it has come to my attention that *not every changes to the PHB* is tallied!

For example:

In the warlock ability "awakened mind", the word "communicate" was changed to "speak to" - this is a pretty important distinction.

In the text for opportunity attack, the wording that the attack "interrupted" movement was removed.

So... these changes appeared rather significant. We aren't talking typos here, but clarifications to the rules! Has someone compiled a list of these changes? They should all be in the errata IMO but... they aren't :(

Yep, but sometimes the cleaning can lead to rule change. A coma, a single word, a semi-colon can make quite a difference. I just have been rebuted in a rule I was sure to know, that we had discussed a lot and agreed upon in my area. Wizard never answered our question so we thought we were alright and yet, the wording changed. That will change quite a lot of things in my games and in many others.

Any change of wording should be written in the errata. I think it's time for me to buy a third PBH...

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yep, but sometimes the cleaning can lead to rule change. A coma, a single word, a semi-colon can make quite a difference. I just have been rebuted in a rule I was sure to know, that we had discussed a lot and agreed upon in my area. Wizard never answered our question so we thought we were alright and yet, the wording changed. That will change quite a lot of things in my games and in many others.

Any change of wording should be written in the errata. I think it's time for me to buy a third PBH...

Three things:

1: Yes, those changes should be in the errata, esp when it's not a mere typo!

2: Kudos to you for being gracious about this.

3: I really feel for you. The change to how OA works is a big change, and it's never fun to discover that "you've been doing it wrong" for X amount of years... :(

But... there are 2 unlisted change... that we know of. Are there 3 in total? 10? 30? Has anyone made a list? Surely I'm not the only one who's noted this...

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The Elf god used to be a hermaphrodite. Now it is not.
Not sure why, it's a perfectly scientific term, only not used on humans because they not "true" hermaphrodites. Which doesn't apply to gods.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The Elf god used to be a hermaphrodite. Now it is not.
Not sure why, it's a perfectly scientific term, only not used on humans because they not "true" hermaphrodites. Which doesn't apply to gods.

Is that a change between printings of the 5e PHB, or between editions of D&D?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Is that a change between printings of the 5e PHB, or between editions of D&D?
Between printings. It had a whole thread.

Here's the quote from page 121, first printing: "You don’t need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender. The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon’s image."

Considering the last time the Errata document was updated was almost a year ago in Sept 2016 for the 6th printing of the PHB, I would guess there has been a newer set of errata that they have not bothered to share. This is also the same time they stopped with print Sage Advice columns and went audio-only for them. Jeremy Crawford has supposedly said there will be print Sage Advice again soon, maybe we will get an updated Errata at the same time that will include this stuff. What we need is a 6th printing copy and a 7th or higher to compare for the mechanics changes, as I doubt any fluff changes would show up in any errata.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Considering the last time the Errata document was updated was almost a year ago in Sept 2016 for the 6th printing of the PHB, I would guess there has been a newer set of errata that they have not bothered to share. This is also the same time they stopped with print Sage Advice columns and went audio-only for them. Jeremy Crawford has supposedly said there will be print Sage Advice again soon, maybe we will get an updated Errata at the same time that will include this stuff. What we need is a 6th printing copy and a 7th or higher to compare for the mechanics changes, as I doubt any fluff changes would show up in any errata.

Most of the silent changes are within the first three printings though.

Remove ads