D&D 5E A Collection of Minor House Rules

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
1. Goodberry and Disciple of Life makes extra berries, not berries that heal 4hp each.
2. Armors that cause disadvantage for stealth also affect swimming/climbing checks.
3. The maximum dex benefit from light armour is +4 (not +5 when at 20 Dex).
4. (not play tested, but I want to try) Everyone gets a free passive investigation check when confronted by an illusion (but then strict action-npt-attack-to-interact thereafter).

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm not sure people are really catching on to these newfangled wiki posts.

I have to admit it's a bit odd. Not to add, but that people are putting things in the main but there's not really any discussion on them since they aren't encapsulated in their own comment to quote.

Just has a different commenting dynamic, nothing big.

CapnZapp

Legend
Mithral - weapons made primarily of Mithral count as Silver and gain the Finesse property. If they have the Heavy property, they lose that property instead of gaining the Finesse property. The weight of a mithral weapon is half that of a steel weapon.
I understand this allows small heroes to use Mithral greataxes and what not, but it also greatly nerfs that Mithral greataxe for purposes of Great Weapon Master.

(Just an observation, not an accusation)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I understand this allows small heroes to use Mithral greataxes and what not, but it also greatly nerfs that Mithral greataxe for purposes of Great Weapon Master.

(Just an observation, not an accusation)

I know. It's part trade-off and part "what makes sense" given the premise that Mithral is a much lighter material.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
But... sneak attack with a greatsword?

(Which leads me to adding another houserule: Sneak attack can be applied with any ranged or one-handed weapon.)

Tobold

Explorer
Roll a d20 for encounters once per short rest, 4 times per long rest. On a roll equal or lower than the "danger level" of the surroundings, an encounter occurs. Danger level range from 1 for your average wilderness to 5 for the middle of a monster-infested dungeon. Resources used to fight these encounters aren't recovered at the end of the rest.

CapnZapp

Legend
I know. It's part trade-off and part "what makes sense" given the premise that Mithral is a much lighter material.
Yes, but it makes mithral greataxes worse than regular ones for 99% of their intended users. (Now I'm talking to everybody in the audience, including readers whose games use feats) Not sure it's worth enabling Gnome greataxe wielders at that price.

But YMMV so I have nothing further...

CapnZapp

Legend
Here are my houserules, filtered through the "a line or two" rule instated by the OP:

The basic currency unit is the silver piece in place of the default gold piece.

Background Skills: If your Background gives you a skill you already have (from Class or Race etc), you are primarily restricted to skills on your class skill list as replacements.

Racial Skills: Free skills given by races (including, but not limited to, Half-Elf and Human) are primarily restricted to Intelligence and Charisma based skills.

Low-Light Vision: Forest animals and other creatures (including the Gnome and High, Half and Wood Elf player races) have Low-Light Vision (per 3E). This trait replaces Darkvision.

Archery Fighting Style: You gain +2 to ranged weapon attacks against targets with cover.

Running: When you take the Dash action, you may take the Dash action as a bonus action as long as terrain and obstacles permit.

Average Hit Dice: Hit Dice averages are rounded down, not up. For instance, a character gaining a level in the Fighter class can either roll 1d10 or take 5 (not 6), plus his or her Constitution modifier.

Knocking Out: Declare you will take a −2 penalty before your attack roll to attempt to incapacitate a foe without killing it. If the foe drops to zero hit points, it doesn't die and instead is Stable.

Long Rest: At the end of the Long Rest, you regain all your spent Hit Dice. You do not regain any hit points from a Long Rest, though you can spend HD as normal, including the newly regained ones.

Negative Hit Points: A creature’s current hit points can be any number from the creature’s hit point maximum down to –10. At zero hp or lower, you fall unconscious and remain so until you have at least 1 hp. (There are more to this rule that doesn't fit this format)

Potions of Healing
Because the four-sided die is a hideous thing!
A Potion of Healing restores 1d8 + 2 hit points or 6 hit points (imbiber's choice).
A Potion of Greater Healing restores 2d10 + 4 or 15 hit points.
A Potion of Superior Healing restores 3d12 + 6 or 25 hit points.
A Potion of Supreme Healing restores 4d20 + 8 or 50 hit points.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yes, but it makes mithral greataxes worse than regular ones for 99% of their intended users. (Now I'm talking to everybody in the audience, including readers whose games use feats) Not sure it's worth enabling Gnome greataxe wielders at that price.

But YMMV so I have nothing further...

The point isn't to allow small creatures to use Great Weapon Master, the point is to turn any one-handed weapon into a finesse weapon. Such as Longswords (which would now be Finesse and Versatile). I didn't think it would make sense to have a weapon that is both Heavy and Finesse, they seem like mutually contradictory traits to me. Plus, if you make a Heavy weapon out of a lighter material, it seems like it would stop being Heavy.

If you want a better version of a Great Axe, make it out of Adamantine. They gain the Siege property, which non-heavy weapons don't get.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases