D&D 5E A Collection of Minor House Rules

Matthan

Explorer
My favorite houserule is that casting classes that get cantrips gain the general magic cantrip related to their class for free. For arcane that means prestidigitation, druids=druidcraft, clerics=thaumaturgy.

Those are mostly flavor and RP cantrips that make the world and character feel more magical. It also frees up the PCs to select more unusual cantrips.

SubDude

Explorer
When rolling hit points for levels beyond the first, each roll is subject to the minimum of half a hit die; so a fighter (d10) will gain at least 5 hp + constitution adjustment.

Last edited:

sure. I guess I would also say more useful. minimum or average would make the caster less likely to take the time or feel the benefit. Im unsure of the victory condition of being "technically right." To each their own... hence why its a question about peoples house rules.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Instead of having a GWM feat, any character can choose to take -5 to hit and add +10 to damage if they take the attack action wielding a two-handed melee weapon or a versatile melee weapon in two hands.

*If your game allows finesse-able two-handed or versatile weapons you may want to limit it to strength based attacks only.

Lanliss

Explorer
  • Champion Change: Champion gains Weapon Expertise with two weapons at 3rd level, and 1 more at each archetype level. Just like normal expertise, this mean the Champion gets double prof. for chosen weapons.
  • Passive Perception is the only perception. Any active search is handled with Investigation.

Sadras

Legend
Rituals cost Hit Dice
Level 1-2 Ritual = 1 Hit Dice cost
Level 3-4 Ritual = 2 Hit Dice cost
Level 5-6 Ritual = 3 Hit Dice cost
Level 7-8 Ritual = 4 Hit Dice cost
Level 9 Ritual = 5 Hit Dice cost

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
two more:

Shields: Bucklers exist, and give +1 AC, but use a hand; no proficiency req. (those w/ proficiency can use a dagger, handaxe, lantern, cloak, etc. for this benefit).

Exotic weapons. If there's a weapon in the Monster manual but not the PHB that players find (such as the Lizardfolk shield), characters are non-proficient with it by default. The only way to gain proficiency is with the weapon master feat. (This has the benefit of giving fighters a reason to want to take the weapon master feat; otherwise all weapon masters are non-fighters, which makes no sense to me.)

Last edited:

Remove ads