[3.5/3.0] Collaborative Effort: Collection of Round-by-Round Monster Tactics

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Gentlefolk,

I thought - incorrectly, as it turns out - that a majority of the creatures listed within the 3.5 MM would include a round-by-round breakdown of suggested tactics.

They don't. And they should.

I was wondering if there's any interest within the community to fix this 'omission.' I was thinking we could gather folks' recommendations, throw 'em all into a neat file, and then make it available to anyone who may be interested. Or, I suppose, we could just keep posting tactical suggestions to this thread. Or maybe there's a better way to go about it?

Personally, I'd love to hear what other DM's have done with some of the more complex creatures. I've found that a fair amount of the time I spend planning mid- to high-level encounters is consumed by generating round-by-round lists of potential actions. I do this so I don't forget to use certain key abilities, spells, items, etc. Since I can't keep my kids locked in the closet forever, it'd be nice to have recommended tactics already available.

Then again, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. So maybe most folks don't need something like this.

Talk to me, Goose.

Destan

This post was inspired by my desire to avoid doing anything productive, and this thread:

3.5 Monster Manual Issues

Last edited:

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
I just picked the first entry in the 3.5 MM to use as an example, mirroring the format of those monsters that already have Round-by-Round tactics included in their description. The below recommendation was done fairly quickly - it's late and I'm tired - so there's a good chance it includes errors. Likewise, I'm certain there's a number of "better" opening tactics.

Aboleth – Tactics Round-by-Round

An aboleth is most effective when fighting within a watery environment, as its movement upon land is severely restricted. Nevertheless, the following tactical recommendation assumes the aboleth is encountered near water adjacent to land.

An aboleth is extremely intelligent and may very well possess the memories of those slain previous to the current encounter. It will use its considerable illusionary powers to prepare the battlefield prior to any engagement, situation permitting. Aboleths often surround themselves with humanoids they have previously dominated with their Enslave ability.

Prior to combat: Use Mirage Arcana to cause the nearby shoreline to appear as if it extends outward over the water’s surface. Use Persistent Image to have a group of low-level aquatic combatants appear to be huddled near the edge of the illusionary terrain, perhaps with a bound captive or two in their midst. Use Programmed Image to give the appearance of a second group of combatants approaching the shoreline from a direction opposite the aboleth’s location, triggered whenever a creature walks upon the illusionary surface of the Mirage Arcana.

Round 1: Ready an action to use Enslave against the first humanoid enemy to approach within 30 ft. Telepathic commands to dominated foes will often be limited, as the aboleth only speaks is own language, Aquan, and Undercommon. In order to avoid provoking a second saving throw, the aboleth will only attempt to command a dominated creature to attack his companions if absolutely required. Otherwise, the aboleth will often command any dominated humanoids to “Flee” for the duration.

Round 2: If given time and a humanoid target is within 30 ft., the aboleth may make a second Enslave attempt – preferably against ranged attackers or obvious spellcasters. Otherwise, the aboleth will strike out with its tentacles at various targets with the intent to Slime numerous foes, thereby possibly distracting them or forcing enemies to concentrate on removing the affliction.

Round 3: The aboleth may attempt its third, and final, Enslave ability. Otherwise, it will concentrate on inflicting damage on any creatures within range – targeting those enemies that appear badly wounded in order to remove them from the combat.

Alternate tactic: Aboleths who are more defensively-minded may use a Programmed Image to cause a second, illusionary aboleth to appear to surface from underneath the nearby water whilst the true aboleth flees, regroups, or distances itself in order to better telepathically command any humanoids it may have Enslaved.

If forced to retreat: Use Illusory Wall to cause a wall to appear, not unlike a Wall of Stone spell, separating the fleeing aboleth from its aggressors. Use the Run action to swim directly away from any pursuers, diving deep underwater if possible.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
I've been considering a thread since i got my 3.5 MM, but haven't had the time! Onya Destan.

I'll try to post a submission tomorrow to it.

SpuneDagr

Explorer
What a great idea! I was thinking of doing the same thing myself.
I'll give it a go...

Rakshasa
Tactics

Rakshasas desire wealth and power (and mortal flesh, when they can get away with it). They seek to rule over inferior mortal creatures by using magic and trickery. A rakshasa is almost never seen in its true form; instead, it disguises itself as a mortal to slip into the community. They are patient creatures, often living among mortals for years to gain their trust. A rakshasa is likely to be a powerful governmental figure or merchant, with many connections. It would be difficult for a group of adventurers to simply barge into his house and attack him simply because they believe he is an otherworldly creature of pure evil. Unless they can prove it, they will probably just be thrown in jail.

Because of its detect thoughts ability, the PCs are unlikely to catch a rakshasa unawares. If they intend to attack, it will most likely be ready for them.
If the rakshasa is hit by a weapon that does not break through its damage reduction, it pretends to be wounded. "When your enemies are cocky, they make stupid mistakes."

Prior to combat: Cast mage armor, shield, and bear's endurance on self. Cast silent image to disguise any hazards in the environment as harmless (such as pits, stairwells, walls of spikes, etc.) Order minions (servants, whatever) to stop the incoming intruders (perhaps magicking up the more loyal and powerful ones with haste and invisibility).
1st Round: Cast suggestion on the beefy, fighter-type, telling him to give up his weapons or to walk into a hazard previously disguised by silent image.
2nd Round: Cast Melf's acid arrow on a spellcaster-type.
3rd Round: Repeat.

Pbartender

First Post
Destan said:
They don't. And they should.

Should they really?

Consider this... As soon as you come up with a standard round-by-round monster tactics guide for DMs, you will shortly have standard round-by-round anti-monster tactics guides for players.

Combats could become exceedingly dull.

ShadowX

First Post
Re: Re: [3.5/3.0] Collaborative Effort: Collection of Round-by-Round Monster Tactics

Pbartender said:

Should they really?

Consider this... As soon as you come up with a standard round-by-round monster tactics guide for DMs, you will shortly have standard round-by-round anti-monster tactics guides for players.

Combats could become exceedingly dull.

Well if a DM use a certain monster enough that players can glean such information without reading the monster manual, then they should have a lot of experience with said monster. They could probably come up with their own, better tactics. Also the round by round guidelines are there for a plausible tactic a monster may use, it is not a strict guideline.

Pbartender

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [3.5/3.0] Collaborative Effort: Collection of Round-by-Round Monster Tact

ShadowX said:

Well if a DM use a certain monster enough that players can glean such information without reading the monster manual, then they should have a lot of experience with said monster. They could probably come up with their own, better tactics.

That's not really the point...

It's a simple warning that the first thing some players are going do, once this is complete, is go read all the suggested tactics and devise specific battle plans to counter those tactics.

Combats could become very predictable and dull as players whip out Attack Plan Gamma-One every time a gargoyle shows its face. Lizardfolk ambush? Dig up Defense Plan Lambda-Six.

I don't think this would happen in every situation... But expect the problem to show up sooner or later.

ShadowX said:

Also the round by round guidelines are there for a plausible tactic a monster may use, it is not a strict guideline.

As much as I'd like to agree with that... I don't think that that is how most DMs who would be using this sort of guide would use it.

If you don't want a specific, straightforward round-by-round battle plan, why bother? All the MM entries have a general combat guideline already. For example, from the SRD: "Trolls have no fear of death: They launch themselves into combat without hesitation, flailing wildly at the closest opponent. Even when confronted with fire, they try to get around the flames and attack."

Remove ads