• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5/3.0] Collaborative Effort: Collection of Round-by-Round Monster Tactics

Bleys

First Post
I also think this could be helpful and fun! :) And to try to avoid making this just a "me too!!!" type of reply, let me put forward another facet of this that could be explored and written up: tactics for "weak" monsters to use against "tough" parties, i.e. some round-by-round tactics to make a group of kobolds truly a challenge for that APL 15 group you're running ;)

I'll do what I can on both the main topic presented and probably a little bit toward this alternate I've thrown out :)

Koewn

Explorer
I apologize.

I apologize:

The Tarrasque - Round By Round Tactics

Round 1: Try to eat the party.
Round 2: Try to eat the party's animal companions and familiars.
Round 3: Try to eat the party's horses.
Round 4: Try to eat the party's cohorts and followers.
Round 5: Repeat at Round 1 Tactics.

reveal

Adventurer
Re: I apologize.

Koewn said:
I apologize:

The Tarrasque - Round By Round Tactics

Round 1: Try to eat the party.
Round 2: Try to eat the party's animal companions and familiars.
Round 3: Try to eat the party's horses.
Round 4: Try to eat the party's cohorts and followers.
Round 5: Repeat at Round 1 Tactics.

You stole my joke!! ;)

SpuneDagr

Explorer
I'm gonna compile all these into a document when there are enough of 'em. This is great!

Slaadi love to cause chaos and confusion among their opponents before they really get into combat. Obviously, a creature of pure chaos is not going to follow a set pattern, but you can see this as an example of a slaad using its abilities to the fullest.

Green Slaad
A green slaad prefers to use spell-like abilites over physical combat but isn't afraid to attack with tooth and claw if it must. If combat is not going well, it flees, covering its tracks with deeper darkness or a summon.
Prior to Combat: Use detect thoughts to determine strength and confidence of enemies. If the green slaad feels that they may be a threat, it casts protection from law, or dispel law if it's really worried.
1st Round: Cast chaos hammer or fear to scatter and confuse the opposition.
2nd Round: If one of these spells works, try another of them. If it doesn't work, cast fireball.
3rd Round: Repeat until enemies are weak enough to easily pick off with melee attacks.

Gray Slaad
A gray slaad prefers to fight from a distance, blasting its enemies with spells. It won't back away from a melee engagement, however. If it feels it is losing, it will run away, casting invisibility or summoning one of its fellows.
Prior to Combat: If it knows opponents are coming, it casts fly (to stay out of reach and cast spells), invisibility (to ambush them), or both. It also casts magic circle against law, or dispel law if it feels that it is really in danger.
1st Round: Cast animate objects (if there are objects around, max size: huge), chaos hammer, or lightning bolt (if opponents are in a line).
2nd Round: If the enemy party is somewhat weakened, cast power word stun on one of them.
3rd Round: Continue hitting enemies with chaos hammer, or lightning bolt until they are slain.

Death Slaad
A death slaad begins combat with spells to confuse and break up the opposition, next casting pure attack spells, and finally wading into combat with its claws and bite, stunning opponents.

If it's feeling cocky:
Prior to Combat: Cast fly and maybe dispel law or magic circle against law.
1st Round: Cast animate objects (if there are objects around, max size: huge), chaos hammer, or fireball.
2nd Round: Cast circle of death or finger of death.
3rd Round: Enter melee combat, attacking and stunning whoever is left.
4th Round: Kill 'em all.

If it feels truly threatened:
Prior to Combat: Cast cloak of chaos, fly, and invisibility.
1st Round: Cast fireball or word of chaos.
2nd Round: Cast finger of death, implosion, or power word blind on the biggest threat.
3rd Round: Enter melee combat, attacking and stunning whoever is left, or continue implosion.
4th Round: Kill 'em all.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I think it would be helpful to avoid extensive use of min/level and especially round/level or Concentration precast spells in these tactics. Doing so will tend to make the tactics less useful for DMs as monsters will rarely know when the PCs will show up within minutes or especially rounds. And if the PCs show up suddenly, the monsters are unlikely to have any time to cast preparatory spells--as soon as they start, it'll be round 1 of combat because PCs generally know that creatures and people don't start casting magic circle spells in order to parlay. Even detect thoughts isn't likely to give more than a round or two of warning when the PCs are approaching. The Rakshasa entry is a particularly bad offender in this regard--it assumes that because Rakshasa's are clever and have Detect Thoughts, they will be able to cast an hour/level spell (Mage Armor--not that this is a bad assumption; Rakshasi should probably never be found without Mage Armor on), 3 or more min/level spells (Bear's Endurance, Shield, and invisibility on minions), possbily one round/level spell (Haste), and one or more concentration+rounds/level spell (silent image). Presumably the PCs stopped for a picnic once they entered the range of the detect thoughts.

A better way of hanlding the Before Combat section might be to set priorities--ie. Long Term: the Rakshasa will usually have mage armor up when encountered. Short Term: If given an opportunity to prepare, it prioritizes Shield and then Bear's Endurance. (Or Endurance might get the higher priority as Rakshasas' DR and SR means that they have less use for AC and magic missile immunity than most foes). When combat is immediately imminent and the Rakshasa has minions, it will attempt to cast haste before combat starts.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
In my current campaign, the group of would-be heroes wandered upon a Frost Worm. Actually, two of them - a mating pair. Though they weren’t mating at the time.

Anyway, the frosties resided beneath a Temple of Auril in a series of tunnels fashioned, over the years, by the worms’ constant burrowing. The underground complex was simply known as Auril’s Ordeal and had been carved by the giant worms themselves over the past few years. Ambitious priests, zealots, and condemned persons would enter the underground complex via a narrow, vertical tunnel. Those that passed the Ordeal – by surviving long enough to find their way out of the warrens – were considered especially blessed in the eyes of the Snow Queen.

Because I've already planned a Frost Worm attack, I thought it might be easier to pick that creature for a post on this thread. And if that wasn't reason enough, don't forget: Frost worms have been extremely ticked off, as a race, since first reading their descriptive text in the 3E Monster Manual and seeing the line, “Remorhazes are frequently the victors in such [frost worm vs. remorhaz] battles.” The frosties do have a point; a Frost Worm boasts a CR12 while a Remorhaz can only claim a CR7.

Frost Worm (CR 12) – Tactics Round-by-Round

Prior to combat: Frost Worms are excellent predators and extremely patient. They prefer to burrow underground at a likely crossroads, then wait patiently for unsuspecting prey (e.g., starry-eyed adventurers). Oft-times frost worms allow a thin coating of snow to cover their inert forms in order to better cover the entrance to their burrows. Frost worms particularly enjoy attacking passers-by during the night, thereby utilizing their Darkvision.

Round 1: If the bulk of the party is within 100 ft., emit a Trill (Will DC 17, failure indicates target is stunned for duration of Trill + 1d4 rounds). If the frost worm is successfully hidden, or if the party has not yet closed, it will ready an action to emit a Trill once a majority of opponents are within range. Ideally, the worm will wait until the party is near 30 ft. distant in order to subsequently use its Breath Weapon (see below).

Round 2: The worm will continual to Trill only if its enemies are still closing its position and have not yet entered the 100 ft. effective range. Otherwise, it will move forward in order to best position itself to use its Breath Weapon (15d6 Cold, Ref DC 22 half, those creatures held motionless by the Trill get no saving throw). In particular, it will concentrate on targeting those creatures that are obviously motionless from its previous Trill.

Round 3: The worm will now switch to simpler, but no less brutal, tactics. It will Bite any opponents within range. Worms are normally not smart enough to tactically select their target, so most melee attacks will be directed at whoever is nearest or has delivered the most damage to the worm in previous rounds.

Possible DM Fiat: Per the 3.5 rules, a Frost Worm has a space of 15’ (3x3 squares) and therefore could not attack while within its burrow (5’ diameter, 1 square), and could only move after a successful Escape Artist check. See Squeezing, pg. 148, in the PHB. Personally, I’d rule that the worm can function within its own tunnel as if the worm occupied a space of 10’ (2x2 squares), thereby allowing attacks (albeit at -4) and (restricted) movement.

Possible DM Fiat #2: I’m a bit confused as to the skill points indicated in the 3.5 MM. I think the worm should have 17 (1 per HD, minimum due to its low Int). The book lists three skills: Hide +3, Listen +5, Spot +5. Two points to Spot and Listen are from the worm’s Alertness feat. The Hide check gets a -8 penalty due to its Huge size (but also gets a +8 bonus when the worm is within its own environment). Whatever the math, it doesn’t seem to add up to me. Most likely I would treat the worm as a medium-sized creature if its body were initially hidden within its burrow, thereby removing the penalty due to size.

Cheers!
Destan

Last edited:

Wippit Guud

First Post
Send in the Grigs!

Grigs, like all fey, prefer to play with their opponents rather that outright kill them, although they will attack with more conventional means where absolutely necessary. Their tactics are aims are frustrating the opponents in an attempt to drive them away.

Tactics, Round by Round

Prior to Combat:
When outsiders are spotted, Grigs (they never travel alone, so there's at least 2) immediately become invisible. They will shadow their opponents with their substantial move silent skills and flying abilities until they reach a suitable area, generally something in a forest setting. They'll also go find some more Grigs, going with the old saying "The more, the merrier." They will hold off acting until there are at least 4 Grigs. (small people need numbers)

Round 1: The grigs get off to a healthy start by casting 4 simultaneous entangle spells. This forces those inside to try to succeed at 4 saving throws, quadrupling their chances at ensnaring them all. Where possible, they layer the entangles to make sure one of the targets is within 5ft of the edge, so that he has little cover and can be seen, and taunted, easily.

Round 2: The grig with the fiddle begins to play, causing those inside to be unable to deal with the vines due to an irresistable dance aeffect. The 3 grigs who aren't playing will dance around and taunt those ensnared.

Round 3+: As long as no overt aggression is displayed, the grigs will pester the tagrtes until the entangles wear off, and then disappear into the forest. If, on the other hand, aggressive spells are cast against them, They will use their longbows to pick off the nearest foe. Once he is down, they drop the entangles and recast them again to bring another person to the edge, to take that one down. If the grig run out of entangles, they will all become invisible again and leave.

Doppleganger

First Post
Great idea. :D If nothing else, plotting out some round-by-round plans for all the critters might reveal a few of each monster's lesser-known tactics and minor abilities that some less experienced DM's hadn't thought of before or didn't realize would be commonly chosen tactics by the monsters (whoops, major run-on sentence).

Remove ads