D&D 5E Is infinite diversity in infinite combinations .... a terrible thing in D&D?

Should all classes be open to all races in all things always?

• Yes! Infinite diversity in infinite combinations is a good thing!

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • No! I play my tennis with a net.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Neither yes nor no; I will explain below why your poll options cannot constrain me.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Get off my lawn.

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • I'm not sure, but Paladins are terrible.

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Poll closed .
I think there is traditional race/class combinations. If people like playing in worlds where those combinations make sense to the setting of the story, then play in those types games.

There is the more free-form settings where any class and race combination will aid the story and fit in that setting. And if people enjoy those settings folks should play in that type of fantasy world.

There are also settings somewhere in the middle. Most folks fit into the traditional roles for class and race combinations. But a few people may have special role-playing reasons that will justify more non-traditional choices. If people would enjoy those types of settings and that kind of world best serves the story then they can play in that type of world.

With only minor tweaks any campaign can fit in any of those types of worlds. I believe whichever world best aids in telling the story in a way that is most enjoyable to the players and DM should be the way it is handled at that particular table.

I personally prefer the middle of the road or traditional setting. I have no problem if other people like the more free-form world. I would even probably be able to enjoy playing in those campaigns, even if they aren't my preference.

I enjoy reading reasons why people prefer their choice, but can't understand positions where one way is right and one way is wrong. It just seems like a matter of personal preference

Sent from my SM-G920V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads