D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

Aldarc

Legend
You don't target the enemy, when out doors you target yourself, then step back so as not to blind your allies. Its too block the sun from interfering in your vision. That is the extra benifit to Drow, clever use gets around sunlight sensitivity. Plus I still think it makes you harder to hit if its around you instead of the enemy.

Remember the Shadow Sorceror isn't a frontline combatant.
Wouldn't be less spell intensive to just invent sunglasses then?

Rellott

Explorer
Why on earth would you think that?

Since you can’t be bothered to read their debate, I’ll summarize:
—Why would they reprint already published archetypes in Xanathar’s?
—There’s no great reason I can think of except the AL’s PHB+1 rule. Those archetypes must have been popular and they want AL players to have access to both those archetypes and new material like spells and races found in Xanathar’s.
—That feels like a lame reason, but you’re right, it’s the only remotely good reason I can think of for them to reprints those archetypes. But were those really that popular? Wouldn’t the spellcasting archetypes benefit more from the new options than the non magical ones?
—Yes. But they didn’t do that and nobody can figure out why.

The end.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Why on earth would you think that?

What [MENTION=6809701]Rellott[/MENTION] said, plus Crawford has stated two rationales on Twitter: avoiding Forgotten Realms specific archetypes from SCAG like the Battlerager or Purple Dragon Knight (since XGtE is a generic D&D book), while bringing in the subclasses that were popular in AL for the +1 rule.

This isn't speculative, WotC has stated the reprints are for AL convenience.

CapnZapp

Legend
Since you can’t be bothered to read their debate, I’ll summarize:
—Why would they reprint already published archetypes in Xanathar’s?
—There’s no great reason I can think of except the AL’s PHB+1 rule. Those archetypes must have been popular and they want AL players to have access to both those archetypes and new material like spells and races found in Xanathar’s.
—That feels like a lame reason, but you’re right, it’s the only remotely good reason I can think of for them to reprints those archetypes. But were those really that popular? Wouldn’t the spellcasting archetypes benefit more from the new options than the non magical ones?
—Yes. But they didn’t do that and nobody can figure out why.

The end.
Thank you. So nobody knows and nobody understands. Sounds like I wasn't too far off the mark.

The end indeed.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Reality is a harsh mistress.

Nah nah nah, I reject your reality and replace it with .... cupcakes! Everybody loves cupcakes. Except maybe celiacs, and diabetics, and I think I maybe need something different, cookies perhaps?

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Nah nah nah, I reject your reality and replace it with .... cupcakes! Everybody loves cupcakes. Except maybe celiacs, and diabetics, and I think I maybe need something different, cookies perhaps?
If anybody should deny the inherent goodness of cupcakes, though it is acceptable if they cannot directly participate in their goodness for medical reasons: Anathema Sit.

Remove ads