D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

Aldarc

Legend
You know the perfect Shadow Magic Sorceror race is Elf (Drow).

Bonus to Dex and Charisma, the ability to see through your own darkness means your sunlight sensitivity won't be an issue, because you just summon darkness, it's thematic as hell, plus all the advantanges of being an Drow Elf, and the Drow High Magic feat. Tell me that doesn't sound awesome.
Sure, but if I was a member in your group, I might be annoyed by the magical darkness that the rest of us could not see through. That's why I generally find the whole Darkness + Devil's Sight combo for Warlocks to ironically be too white room. :erm:

E

Elderbrain

All official subclasses now that Xanathar's content is confirmed (includes PHB, SCAG, and XGE).

Barbarian: Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beserker, Storm Herald, Totem Warrior, Zealot

Bard: Glamour, Lore, Swords, Valor, Whispers

Cleric: Arcana, Death, Forge, Grave, Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War

Druid: Dreams, Land, Moon, Shepherd

Fighter: Arcane Archer, Battle Master, Cavalier, Champion, Eldritch Knight, Samurai

Monk: Drunken Master, Four Elements, Kensei, Long Death, Open Hand, Shadow, Sun Soul

Paladin: Ancients, Conquest, Crown, Devotion, Oathbreaker, Redemption, Vengence

Ranger: Beast Master, Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, Hunter, Monster Slayer

Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Inquisitive, Mastermind, Scout, Swashbuckler, Thief

Sorcerer: Divine Soul, Draconic Bloodline, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcery, Wild Magic

Warlock: The Archfey, The Celestial, The Fiend, The Great Old One, The Hexblade, The Undying

Wizard: Abjuration, Bladesinger, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Trasmutation, War Magic

You forgot Fighter: Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret from SCAG; altogether by my count that's EIGHTY sub-classes(!!!) WOW. Now, four are special cases: Battlerager is Dwarf-only, Bladesinger is Elf-only, Purple Dragon Knight is tied to a FR organisation (though you can make it "generic" with the Banneret title), and Oathbreaker requires that you break your previous Paladin Oath to "join". Otherwise, Seventy-six sub-classes string-free.

Last edited:

Charlaquin1

First Post
Sure, but if I was a member in your group, I might be annoyed by the magical darkness that the rest of us could not see through. That's why I generally find the whole Darkness + Devil's Sight combo for Warlocks to ironically be too white room. :erm:

Yep. I tried it once, and it sucked. It would be fun as a solo character, but if you have other party members it just ends up getting in the way - messing up everyone's sightlines and turning a big chunk of the battlefield into a zone of Disadvantage and guessing games.

gyor

Legend
You forgot Fighter: Purple Dragon Knight/Banneret from SCAG; altogether by my count that's EIGHTY sub-classes(!!!) WOW. Now, four are special cases: Battlerager is Dwarf-only, Bladesinger is Elf-only, Purple Dragon Knight is tied to a FR organisation (though you can make it "generic" with the Banneret title), and Oathbreaker requires that you break your previous Paladin Oath to "join". Otherwise, Seventy-six sub-classes string-free.

I once pointed out you could become a Good Paladin of Treachery by breaking your Oath of Conquest by doing an act of Kindness and Mercy. I think that would work just as well for an Oathbreaker Paladin as for am Oath of Treachery Paladin.

gyor

Legend

I once pointed out you could become a Good Paladin of Treachery by breaking your Oath of Conquest by doing an act of Kindness and Mercy. I think that would work just as well for an Oathbreaker Paladin as for an Oath of Treachery Paladin.

GarrettKP

Explorer

You're right, I added it in. Funny enough I thought whether to call it Banneret or PDK. Guess I forgot to add either haha.

gyor

Legend

You don't target the enemy, when out doors you target yourself, then step back so as not to blind your allies. Its too block the sun from interfering in your vision. That is the extra benifit to Drow, clever use gets around sunlight sensitivity. Plus I still think it makes you harder to hit if its around you instead of the enemy.

Remember the Shadow Sorceror isn't a frontline combatant.

Remove ads