D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
The PHB +1 rule is a fairly central element in their design of the AL, so reprinting the subclasses people actually use is reasonable.

Given this, I am surprised at the exclusion of the Arcana domain for clerics (I guess it isn't popular? That surprises me, though.)

Also, all the racial options could have been ported easily, once they had made this decision.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given this, I am surprised at the exclusion of the Arcana domain for clerics (I guess it isn't popular? That surprises me, though.)

Also, all the racial options could have been ported easily, once they had made this decision.
Actually seems that they are segregating race and class options, also probably because of AL, to reduce the strain of figuring out every conceivable combo.

The Arcana domain was probably just not popular in OP: no skin off my nose, I still have the book.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm also disappointed that Sea and Pheonix didn't make it (stone was interesting but seemed like it wasn't sure what it wanted to be yet)

However, I hold out hope that we aren't seeing them now because they needed more work compared to the other sub-classes and they will come out with a different product later on down the line. Because both were too good of a concept to kill off completely.

GarrettKP

Explorer
All official subclasses now that Xanathar's content is confirmed (includes PHB, SCAG, and XGE).

Barbarian: Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beserker, Storm Herald, Totem Warrior, Zealot

Bard: Glamour, Lore, Swords, Valor, Whispers

Cleric: Arcana, Death, Forge, Grave, Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War

Druid: Dreams, Land, Moon, Shepherd

Fighter: Arcane Archer, Battle Master, Cavalier, Champion, Eldritch Knight, Purple Dragon Knight, Samurai

Monk: Drunken Master, Four Elements, Kensei, Long Death, Open Hand, Shadow, Sun Soul

Paladin: Ancients, Conquest, Crown, Devotion, Oathbreaker, Redemption, Vengence

Ranger: Beast Master, Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, Hunter, Monster Slayer

Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Inquisitive, Mastermind, Scout, Swashbuckler, Thief

Sorcerer: Divine Soul, Draconic Bloodline, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcery, Wild Magic

Warlock: The Archfey, The Celestial, The Fiend, The Great Old One, The Hexblade, The Undying

Wizard: Abjuration, Bladesinger, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Trasmutation, War Magic

Last edited:

It's a pity that the Oath of Treachery didn't get in, I liked how it worked mechanically at least. The story behind it though definitely needed some adjustments, it had to stand for something and not be too ambiguous.

No one thought the Protection cleric was unique, so I can see why that got dropped.

I really liked the Sea Sorcerer, but hated the Phoenix for being too much a "once per day" thing.

I thought the Primeval Guardian was a really interesting Ranger subclass, but they needed to reign in some of the treeform stuff. Probably the "Hey, I can use large-size weapons" stopped that class from getting in.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
All official subclasses now that Xanathar's content is confirmed (includes PHB, SCAG, and XGE).

Barbarian: Ancestral Guardian, Battlerager, Beserker, Storm Herald, Totem Warrior, Zealot

Bard: Glamour, Lore, Swords, Valor, Whispers

Cleric: Arcana, Death, Forge, Grave, Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War

Druid: Dreams, Land, Moon, Shepherd

Fighter: Arcane Archer, Battle Master, Cavalier, Champion, Eldritch Knight, Samurai

Monk: Drunken Master, Four Elements, Kensei, Long Death, Open Hand, Shadow, Sun Soul

Paladin: Ancients, Conquest, Crown, Devotion, Oathbreaker, Redemption, Vengence

Ranger: Beast Master, Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, Hunter, Monster Slayer

Rogue: Arcane Trickster, Assassin, Inquisitive, Mastermind, Scout, Swashbuckler, Thief

Sorcerer: Divine Soul, Draconic Bloodline, Shadow Magic, Storm Sorcery, Wild Magic

Warlock: The Archfey, The Celestial, The Fiend, The Great Old One, The Hexblade, The Undying

Wizard: Abjuration, Bladesinger, Conjuration, Divination, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, Trasmutation, War Magic
I think they may have dropped the ball originally by not unpacking the Land Druid, so that Mountain Druids or Swamp Druids and what have you would be more unique subclasses rather than spelllists.

gyor

Legend
I think they may have dropped the ball originally by not unpacking the Land Druid, so that Mountain Druids or Swamp Druids and what have you would be more unique subclasses rather than spelllists.

There is still some cool possible Archtypes for Druids, Circle of the Lycanthropes, Circle of Cities, Circle of the Shadowfell (Blight druid), Circle of the Elements for example.

E

Elderbrain

On the topic of revealed content, I wonder why the clarification on Adamantine weapons.

Mistwell and I MIGHT have had something to do with that... MAYBE! I created a thread here about Adamantine weapons, and asked somebody to contact WOTC about it. Mistswell did just that, and Mike Mearls replied that they were not in XGTE, and suggested Adamantine = +3 weapon. It's possible that either he or somebody else at WOTC decided after that post that the issue needed to be addressed in the book, after all. Interesting to see how they handled it officially.

Last edited:

Remove ads