N.E.W. Player Character Generator Google Sheet

Juan Sierra

First Post
Hello!

I wanted to share the character generator google sheet I've been working on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WZbFub719mbM0dZYDq7BZoGEp2_0-GvwunWh8JeeabM/edit?usp=sharing

If you want to use it, just make a copy to your drive.

Currently implemented features:
  • Attribute calculations:
    • Species
      • Including Ogron and Android bonuses and penalties to derived stats.
    • Homeworld
    • Career
      • A full career list is available. Simply choose a career and number of ranks in that career, and the attributes are applied automatically
  • Derived Stats:
    • Speeds (run, climb, swim, zero-g, high-g)
      • Option to select alternate primary movement type
    • Jump distances
    • Personal and Starship Initiatives
    • Defenses (Melee, Ranged, Mental, Vital)
      • Including selected skills that boost these stats
      • Including size-mods to defenses
    • Base attack pool
    • Species-specific age category
      • Including option for Cinematic mode LUC boost to Adult and Old characters
      • Unfortunately I can't lock the STR/AGI/END increases in old age, but can be done manually!
    • XP and XP to Next Level
    • PSI Points
  • Dice pool calculations for all relevant stats
    • Respects grade-based maximum dice pool limit
    • Includes skill ranks to dice pools
  • User-definable mods to values
    • Decided to trade a career attribute for a racial? Bought an extra point of LUC? Just add it as a mod.
  • Ability to add custom careers, species, homeworlds

I'm working on adding exploit selections, career-based skill choices, and equipment/attack lists. I'll post any updates here, the link will stay the same. Feel free to comment directly on the sheet, or post here. Thanks again for reading, and happy gaming!

Juan Sierra

First Post
Yes. Since skills are mostly open-ended, I only prepopulated the ones that will directly affect certain stats. It's one of the things I'd like to improve on in the future.

Juan Sierra

First Post
Cool. I'll have to review to see if there are techniques in here to steal. ;) I should get around to creating an instructions tab. Your's looks quite good.

Made some modifications to my OLD template since the last one I shared.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10nYlj2P51vPMhpNIAWiY0k7rjAoWUmQZoB307watSA4

Wow, that is really polished! I may be one who ends up stealing techniques :p

I wasn't sure how much information is too much information, both for a player and with regards to the publisher. I've used PCGen for years, and although they provide a ton of info, they keep some descriptions and explanations out so that the app doesn't become a replacement for the books. I know it's all online anyways, but I figured for a first try less is more.

Eventually I would like to build a full program (there's a limit to what I can do with a spreadsheet :p ) to not only create a character but track the character's progression over time. But that may take a bit.

Criamon

First Post
Right now the issue with mine is that in trying to get all the lookup data right for career exploits it's really slowing the thing down as more careers get added. Also, adding a new race or career is kind of a pain in the ass. Not to mention right now you're limited to 5 careers.

I was able to get this far without scripting (though an earlier version used scripts to manage named ranges). I just found a way to us INDIRECT() and UNIQUE() to fake it with smoke and mirrors.

I really built it just so I could build characters fast. My new campaign is just starting up and hopefully it'll earn me back the time it took to get this far.

I think my wishlist for what to do next with it is as follows:
- Add a better instructions tab.
- Add a script and button to automate saving a copy of the character under a different file name and pasting-to-values a lot of lookup data and jettisoning the unnecessary lookup tabs once that's done. That way you have a "basic" character sheet with all the stuff slowing it down gone.
- Add tabs for inserting new races/careers and scripting the insertion of the data into the appropriate places.
- Figuring out a way to script so as to make it possible for characters to have more (or less) career slots (not just five). This'd actually be pretty involved, but I think it can be done. Maybe it'd just be better to make slots for 10 or 12 careers and just leave the unused ones to sit idle, but it'd make the skills tab pretty onerous, since I'd have to add all the space for skills for all the careers, whether they're utilized or not.

I've got a business trip next week - maybe I'll have time to tinker with it. But really I should concentrate on getting campaign launch ready.

Remove ads