D&D 5E ASI's at Character Level instead of Class Level

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
DM is wrong. i don't think any side effects from the change are big enough to worry about. Multiclassing is still weak pre level 5. (Except for warlock dips). Other multiclasses may get a feat/ ASI 1-2 levels earlier. Not a big deal IMO.

Tony Vargas

Legend
She's clearly wrong that this is a matter of "interpreting," and is House Ruling to get to her desired "interpretation."
DM's don't get to be wrong. If she wants to interpret the rules as implying that all PC races are actually furries, you get to go with that. ;P Just the nature of DM Empowerment. Be happy it's something so reasonable. ;)

Given all this, are there any unforeseen pitfalls that you'd expect from playing the game this way?
I'd expect it to generally work slightly better. Spell slots and proficiency both already work smoothly that way, there's no reason to make ASIs work in such a clunky manner.

There'd be less "cost" to multi-classing, so there'd probably be more multi-classing and potentially more feats.
Actually, it makes no difference to the 'cost' of MCing, only to the order in which you take classes. For instance, taking 4 levels in class A, then 4 levels in class B, gives you two ASIs, as 4th & 8th level, just like always. No cost. Alternating the two, OTOH, still gives gives you two ASIs at 8th, but one at 7th, one at 8th.

Extra Attack is another class feature that's a prime candidate for this kind of treatment, BTW.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
Although it is convoluted to explain, the process of moving the ASI to character, rather than class, levels is easy to follow and doesn't cause any real problems. Most problems it causes have an obvious solution that allow us to bypass 'dead' levels.

Example:

Level 1 Rgoue
Level 2 Rogue
Level 3 Ranger
Level 4 Ranger - replace 2nd level ranger benefits that do not advance with an ASI level with the ASI. Benefits that do advance on these levels, such as spellcasting progression, continue to accrue normally.
Level 5 Ranger - apply the remaining level 2 ranger benefits that do not advance on an ASI level for this level, and continue to advance the ones that do advance, such as spells.
Level 6 Ranger - apply the remaining level 3 ranger benefits that do not advance on an ASI level for this level, and continue to advance the ones that do advance, such as spells. We are now in the same place we'd have been under the normal progression rules for a Rogue 2 / Ranger 4 character.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't agree with this statement. You pre-supposing a very special case- the multiclass character who alternates level in exactly two classes. I mean, yeah, it happens, but that's far from the norm.
You could have up to 5 classes and face no 'penalty' in terms of ASIs, for MCing. You just take 4 levels of each class at a time, and collect your ASIs like any single-class character. No penalty for MCing, whatsoever.

The penalty isn't for MCing, it's for the order in which you do it, and the 4-level breakpoint.

What's so all-fired special about taking 4 levels in each class you pursue before starting up another that all other MC progressions should be 'punished?' I don't think there /is/ anything, it's just an accident of design. They decided to put ASIs on individual class charts, maybe rather than giving explicitly 'bonus' ASIs to fighters & rogues, maybe to fill out 'dead levels,' IDK. But it resulted in a bug in the way MCing worked.

I'm sure it does happen, but I've hardly heard of anyone discuss doing this, going to (I guess?) 10/10.
It's the classic MCing, the fighter/magic-user of old, for instance, evenly splitting his exp between two classes. (Which, back in the day, didn't result in equal levels, because exp tables/level limits/general needless complication.)

SubDude

Explorer
Although it is convoluted to explain, the process of moving the ASI to character, rather than class, levels is easy to follow and doesn't cause any real problems. Most problems it causes have an obvious solution that allow us to bypass 'dead' levels.

Example:

Level 1 Rgoue
Level 2 Rogue
Level 3 Ranger
Level 4 Ranger - replace 2nd level ranger benefits that do not advance with an ASI level with the ASI. Benefits that do advance on these levels, such as spellcasting progression, continue to accrue normally.
Level 5 Ranger - apply the remaining level 2 ranger benefits that do not advance on an ASI level for this level, and continue to advance the ones that do advance, such as spells.
Level 6 Ranger - apply the remaining level 3 ranger benefits that do not advance on an ASI level for this level, and continue to advance the ones that do advance, such as spells. We are now in the same place we'd have been under the normal progression rules for a Rogue 2 / Ranger 4 character.

Huh?

Remove ads