D&D 5E MASTERWORK ITEMS

Do you feel that WoTC should include MW items in an upcoming rule book?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No, I like 5e rules not making any sense and ignoring 40 years of gaming.

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Yes, with a few minor changes.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Yes, and it should be included in 5.5e

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .
MASTERWORK ITEMS FOR 5e:

I spoke with the guys over the phone at WoTC, and the man on the other end agreed with me on this:
Any magic item MUST be at its core, a Masterwork item. For example, you CANNOT have a Bag of Holding made of BURLAP!

What is a masterwork item? It is the BEST manufactured by a master craftsman at the peak of his skill, whether a dwarf, human, or elf, constructed from the finest materials. For a bag of holding, it must be made of genuine fine leather, or silk, or satin, or some similar fine material.

A masterwork item generally costs an additional 100 gp above the basic cost of the item. For instance, if a PC character wishes to begin play with a Masterwork Dagger, it would cost 102 gp; 2 for the basic dagger, and 100 additional because it's the best made, perfectly balanced for throwing, and frequently with a jewel or two set into the pommel. Masterwork items are generally kept in a locked glass case in the shoppe.

Note, a Masterwork weapon, such as a dagger, would be a +1 to HIT ONLY, NOT for damage. This is because the dagger is perfectly balanced. Once this dagger is given to a wizard to be enchanted, it then becomes a +1 Dagger for damage, as well as to hit. To enchant it however, takes a Year and a Day for a wizard. This is why a +1 weapon costs so much!

These were the rules in 3.5. It only makes perfect sense to include it in 5e!!!
Will someone with any influence PLEASE ask WoTC to publish this in an upcoming book!

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

pukunui

Legend
I don't like any of your poll options.

To respond to your question: There is nothing stopping you from including masterwork items in your game. Why do you feel the need to have them put in an official book?

Personally, I like having the freedom to represent "masterwork" in a variety of ways. Perhaps a set of masterwork tools gives you advantage on the check. Perhaps a masterwork sword weighs less than normal or is made from a more expensive material (but doesn't provide you with +1 to hit; because of 5e's bounded accuracy, bonuses to hit aren't as necessary as they were in 3.5).

pogre

Legend
For example, you CANNOT have a Bag of Holding made of BURLAP!

I appreciate your passion. However, I love magic items made of inferior materials, like witch/shaman/hedge wizard created trinkets. When an item is a bit fragile and magical it can create an interesting dynamic as the PCs decide whether to use it or not.

MiraMels

Explorer
Those are just the rules from Third Edition, OP.

I like that Fifth Edition isn't Third Edition. You clearly feel otherwise, so feel free to run Fifth Edition more like Third Edition in your game. Indulge your enthusiasm! You've already got your house rule right there and everything. Hell, it's not even a house rule, WotC already published those rules you're asking for 17 years ago.

bid

First Post
I spoke with the guys over the phone at WoTC, and the man on the other end agreed with me
Bold is the new UPPERCASE.

I love the {yes, yes, yes, wrong} poll choices. It has the same smell as "When did you stop beating your wife?", and has as much statistical value.

neogod22

Explorer
Does anyone read the DM's guide? Because it clearly states what you need to make magic items and how much you need to spend. Some magic weapons don't have a +, are you saying they aren't made from masterwork materials?

Also, to silver a weapon costs 100g, so are you saying that a silvered weapon is a masterwork?

While I admire your passion, your logic is flawed.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

It's not a bad idea, but it's a matter of priorities. First work on getting weapons that are capable of inflicting a wound which doesn't automatically heal overnight, and then worry about differentiating between various grades of nonmagical weapons.

Yaarel

He Mage
Keep masterwork simple and within ‘bounded accuracy’.

Masterwork weapon = +1 magic weapon

Simple.

All magic weapons and armors with a bonus are masterworks. The +1 bonus results from the ‘magical’ properties inherent in the special materials (adamantine, dragon scale hide, etcetera) that the item is made out of. The creation of +1 items has more to do with the technologies and techniques for processing the special materials.

Bonuses of +2 or higher involve more esoteric forces, but need a +1 masterwork as a prerequisite that is then further enchanted.

For example, dragon hide makes +1 scale armor. And so on.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
Keep masterwork simple and within ‘bounded accuracy’.

Masterwork weapon = +1 magic weapon

Simple.

All magic weapons and armors are masterworks. The +1 bonus results from the ‘magical’ properties inherent in the special materials (adamantine, dragon scale hide, etcetera) that the item is made out of.

Bonuses of +2 or higher involve more esoteric forces, but need a +1 masterwork as a prerequisite that is then further enchanted.

For example, dragon hide makes +1‘ scale armor. And so on.
So what are magic weapons and armors that don't have a plus made of?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads