D&D 5E MASTERWORK ITEMS

Do you feel that WoTC should include MW items in an upcoming rule book?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No, I like 5e rules not making any sense and ignoring 40 years of gaming.

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Yes, with a few minor changes.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Yes, and it should be included in 5.5e

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

guachi

Hero
I have no problem allowing players to spend 100g to have a "masterwork" weapon.

It's the mechanical bonus I take issue with.

With plusses to hit and damage capped at 3, it's difficult to find space for how to differentiate a high quality weapon or armor. In my campaign, the players picked up some expensive half plate that reduced the sneak penalty to -1 instead of disadvantage. It's also very fancy-looking.

What stats do you mechanically give a masterwork weapon? "Expand your crit range by one. E.g., if you currently need a 19-20 for a critical hit, you now need an 18-20. If you roll the lower number on the range, roll a d10 and on a 1-2 (or whatever) you critically hit." This would add a small 1% chance to crit, but most players would find it valuable enough they'd probably want one.

G

Guest 6801328

With plusses to hit and damage capped at 3, it's difficult to find space for how to differentiate a high quality weapon or armor. In my campaign, the players picked up some expensive half plate that reduced the sneak penalty to -1 instead of disadvantage. It's also very fancy-looking.

What stats do you mechanically give a masterwork weapon? "Expand your crit range by one. E.g., if you currently need a 19-20 for a critical hit, you now need an 18-20. If you roll the lower number on the range, roll a d10 and on a 1-2 (or whatever) you critically hit." This would add a small 1% chance to crit, but most players would find it valuable enough they'd probably want one.

- More resistant to damage
- Bonus to social skill rolls in certain situations
- Worth more money if you need to sell it

At one point I started working up an outline of a rules system for a Conan game (mostly because I was so dismally disappointed in the Modiphius attempt). A big part of the Conan stories is that he's always using different weapons, and the quality of the weapon is often part of the story. I devised a system (admittedly with bookkeeping) for weapon quality and condition, that somewhat correlate to max HP and current HP. Basic idea is:
- Your weapon's damage is capped by its current condition, which in turn is capped by its quality
- Higher quality weapons require more highly skilled smiths to repair (and thus cost more)
- Certain lucky/unlucky die rolls can result in weapon damage, and when it's weapon vs. weapon the higher quality weapon usually wins.

schnee

First Post
Some gear should be lighter if it's available as masterwork - modern ultralight camping gear attests to this. I could see weapons being lighter too, as well as more durable, if you play that kind of game. Our table doesn't. We focus on RP and hand-wave away the logistics unless it becomes an RP hook.

Otherwise, LOL at your trollish poll option being #1. You know this game and it's players less than you think.

akr71

Hero
As others have said - you're poll choices are not choices at all.

Also I have no recollection of 'Masterwork' items back when I played AD&D & 2E in the 80's - less than 40 years ago. So, 40 years of gaming?...

Slit518

Adventurer
A Masterwork item should work one of several ways.

1. It's cost should be doubled or tripled.
2. It's weight might be slightly advantageous, such as weighing less.
3. It's durability should be higher.
4. If it's a weapon perhaps it can do 1 of 2 things, a) either be a die-grade higher in damage, or b) add one extra die to a critical hit.
5. If it's armor perhaps it could negate the Stealth Disadvantage, and weigh 10% less of the overall weight?
6. If it's a shield maybe it should grant Advantage with defensive maneuvers using a shield.

Remove ads