Not With a Bang, I: Its Own Reward

Tanstaafl

First Post
Nylarra slips into the crowded bar and takes a seat at the end of a table. She asks for stew and ale and looks around while she waits for it to arrive.

ooc: Nylarra has taken a room at the inn, and will leave most of her gear there for the time being. What would it have cost to hire a seat on a cart or wagon to make the trip?

Sam

First Post
After repeated (and unsuccessful) attempts to get Nojin to discuss his brother's fate, a soggy Grunlor moves away from Nojin. Grabbing a towel at the end of the bar to dry himself off with, he strides over to where the announcement is posted. As he walks across the common room, Grunlor notices another dwarf that he had met once before.
Hmmm. Quite a few strangers in town today. What's more odd, a number of them are dwarves. It doesn't look like... what was that mage's name?... Ah, yes, Grinder. It doesn't look like Grinder and Nojin are travelling together. Strange to see so many travellers in town at the same time.

Grunlor begins to read the posting. 1500 gold! By Talenn's light, that's quite a bit of coin! Could this be what has drawn all these adventurer's here to Alten's Rock?

Walking away from the door, back across the room to where his (now very) cold stew remains, Grunlor gives Grinder a slight nod of his head and looks to see if his recognition is reciprocated.

LazarusLong42

First Post
Kelta looks at Tuli with a very sympathetic eye before Baril and Brevin grab her to keep her out of trouble. "I'm sorry to hear about your father, lass. He was a good man. I'll do some checking; some of your family might yet be around, but it may be a couple weeks before I find word."

OOC: Look for mechanical stuff in the OOC thread.

"ME BRUTHER!!!!!!" With another yell Nojin is up from his stool and running across the bar. Aiming at nothing in particular he jumps in a rabid flailing motion into a table smashing it to bits. As pieces of wood stay stuck to the many spikes on his armor anyone who looks at the dwarf notices he is sleeping quite contently.

Shalimar

First Post
"Thank you Kelta," the child-like thief says gratefully, before being sequestered by her over-protective companions, she gives Kelta a mischeivous grin, "They're always worried that I'll get into trouble, its disconcerting really, its not like I go looking for it after all, people just misunderstand is all."

Rybaer

First Post
Grinder, between bites of steaming mutton, notices that one of the dwarves he'd seen earlier is walking across the room. Eh, I know him, he realizes. When Grunlor nods in his direction, Grinder returns the gesture.

And here I thought I wouldn't know a soul in this town, Grinder thinks as he absently mops up the mutton juices in his beard with a loaf of bread. Wonder if he's here for that job as well? Have to catch up with him, I suppose.

A bit of memory clicks in the back of his mind. Grinder had first spotted Grunlor across the room speaking with another dwarf. There had been something familiar about that other dwarf...and his voice as he cried out before smashing those mugs upon his helmet. Ah! Grinder prides himself. I'll bet that's Nojin. No one bellows quite like he does. Have to go catch up with him, too.

Just as the connection is made, Grinder watches Nojin collapse among the shattered remains of a table. Right. That reunion might have to wait a bit...

Last edited:

When he hears Tuli's latest wisecrack, Baril, trying hard to cover his amusement, whispers to Brevin: "Someone around here sure could use a little spankin' and it ain't you..."

Brevin smiles. "My thoughts exactly," he replies with a wink. His fondness for the small girl is obvious, despite his actions and words.

"Thank you Kelta," the child-like thief says gratefully, before being sequestered by her over-protective companions, she gives Kelta a mischeivous grin, "They're always worried that I'll get into trouble, its disconcerting really, its not like I go looking for it after all, people just misunderstand is all."

Brevin turns to Tuli and raises his eyebrows. "Misunderstand? I guess that's one way of looking at it," he says with a grin. "Let's get some food and drink. Did you guys see that sign about earning 1500 gold pieces for retrieving a gem that was stolen? Must be pretty valuable. Think that's something we could handle?"

Shalimar

First Post
"We could definitely do it, and 500 gold a piece is nothing to sneeze at," Tuli says looking thoughtful. "I wonder what the thieves are like, stealing family heirlooms isn't very nice, its totally diferent from taking a few coppers or some silver." The fact that she has at one time or another done exactly that seems to slip her mind, leaving her with a perpetually clear conscience.

"Although, maybe if there is a lot of them we might need some help, maybe even a wizard, he could cast all kinds of spells, or maybe a few warriors, although not too many cause that means that there won't be as much reward, well I'm sure that if we have to fight the thieves we'll find more loot at their hide-out then we could actually carry. You guys don't know any wizards around here that would actually help us out do you?" she says all of this in a familiar breathless rush that you know she gets when she is excited about the prospect of a new adventure.

Zerth

First Post
Baril listens to Tuli, smiling. "And I thought I was the one all excited here." Then he looks dead serious and continues: "But this won't be any easy pickings, not by a long shot. Nobody pays 1500 gold for the return of some simple family trinket." Baril pauses to look at both Brevin and Tuli. "Well, somebody might, but then again those kind of people wouldn't come looking for help in a place like Alten's Rock, no sirrah. Say what you say about me, but Baril Kibizin is no common fool, been around long enough to notice certain things and this job here reeks of danger as well as great opportunity."

The bard leads his friends to the table where he left Grinder. "We'll be needing quality help and speaking of it, I'd like you to meet a old friend of mine. Grinder here is a up and coming dwarven wizard, just the kind you like to have around if you'd be needin' to blast some baddies out of your way. He's been telling me, he'd love to get a shot at that nice little reward." Baril then proceeds to introduce his companions to Grinder. "The youngster here is Brevin, a cleric of Litsi. The pretty lass with the quick fingers would be Tuli."

Shalimar

First Post
"We already know Grinder, he showed us all kinds of neat spells when we were in Colinna. I still think that that was a mean trick you pulled, you and trinket." she looks around curiously for the raven, "Where is Trinket anyway? And are you going to show us any more magic? I really think it must be grand too be able to do magic, I mean, to be able to make things happen, I sure wish someone would teach me magic, it could help me out so much, and if we are adventuring together I definitely wouldn't mind some instruction." she says, as they often do, her words tripping all over themselves.

Her eyes took on an even more mischeivious gleam then usual at the prospect of using magic for her pranks, but Baril and Brevin knew she would most likely forget about the desire by the next day and be eager for something entirely different.

Remove ads