Dragonlance Movie News

Descartes

Explorer
I'm reading a lot about Joe Manganiello trying to get a Dragonlance script into the works. While I like the idea of a live action Dragonlance I think a Game of Thrones style series would be better than a movie per book. I figure if you do it right and add some flashbacks of each character's adventures during the 5 years they were searching for the gods you could easily stretch the 3 books into 7 or 8 seasons. You can then continue the story with the next trilogy for another 5 or 6 seasons.

So what do you think 3-5 movies that maybe cover everything in the original trilogy or a series that can cover the original trilogy and incorporate some of the side novels? Either way I want Joe playing Sturm or maybe Riverwind.

Ryujin

Legend
I think that several series have shown that long format drama is better served by broadcast TV or cable, than by movies. Going full-on "Game of Thrones" might work for bringing in a wider audience, but there are a lot of elements (like nudity), that I suspect would get a hard veto by Wizards.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, I suspect a TV series would be the better option for something like Dragonlance.

Ryujin

Legend
Mcdowell.jpg

I believe this is captioned, "Hello, I'm British person."

The one thing I fear would be a problem with a TV series would be the CGI budget. Aside from the dragons, which would be fairly limited until the final act, there are the draconians, which are fairly omnipresent. They could mostly be done with practical effects, certainly, but would they?

As for Joe Manganiello’s casting, I think he’d make a great Verminaard.

If they had just stuck with traditional animation, instead of mixing in (really awful) CGI animation, it would’ve been passible. As it stands, the end result probably exceeds the awfulness of Courtney Solomon’s D&D movie.

My brain is already too scarred by the existing DragonLance Chronicles movie to contemplate another one.

Remove ads