Dragons of Eternity

Dragonlance Dragons Of Eternity By Margaret Weis And Tracy Hickman Coming August 6, 2024

WotC massively interferred in the first book, but after being sued they were more hands off, so do you think its an accident that for the first book Destina was by far the central character, and that it was not popular book relatively, but in the second book without WotC interference, she gets demoted and the writers own characters take center stage instead of what I suspect is WotC's inserted character, and the second book is far more well reguarded and reviewed.

I suspect this will be the fate of the Fallbacks, which screams book by committee with a lot of WotC interference in what a talented writer is trying to do. I'll be shocked if its not a disaster. Memories Wake seems to not be by committee or at least not as much and I expect it to be a much better book.
WotC is almost certainly still reviewing and approving what went into books 2 and 3. The D&D logo is on the cover, they're going to protect their brand.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I dunno, I'd raise you Byrt and Lugg, the talking wombats from The Ring of Winter.
The Ring of Winter was one of the worst Realms books I've read... the wombats were so out of left field. The book should basically just be retitled: WTF - The Novel. I read it hoping it would give me some more useful lore and background for a Chult-based campaign. Let's just say I was very disappointed.

Zardnaar

Legend
I believe Sorcerers have been in Dragonlance since AT LEAST 2003. There is no reason they had to be added in for 5e as they already were there in the Campaign.

How many fans were paying attention by then? I checked out around Summer Flame and gave up totally during Lost Souls.

Not the Dragonlance I liked basically (not that I liked it that much anyway).

Started reading DL in 93. More or less done by 1997.

How many fans were paying attention by then? I checked out around Summer Flame and gave up totally during Lost Souls.

Not the Dragonlance I liked basically (not that I liked it that much anyway).

Started reading DL in 93. More or less done by 1997.
I read on a Dragonlance FB group that W&H wanted Summer Flame to be an entire trilogy, but TSR were desperate for money and said no, so three books of plot was unsatisfyingly crammed into one novel. Which i've never quite understood, surely TSR could have made more money out of three novels rather than one? Still, i don't think it would have saved Summer Flame for me.

The Lost Chronicles books, from about 2007 I think, were a much better read. Basically filling in the gaps in the original trilogy. Thorbardin and Skullcap, Icewall, Kitiara and Soth, and what Raistlin got up to once he took the black robes.

There's some stuff I didn't really like in there (Flint and Sturm's characterisation in the first book, the final battle against Feal-thaas, a few other bits and pieces) but on the whole, a much more satisfying read than any of the later-timeline books where all of a sudden some dragons are aliens and Takhisis steals the world, and the gods go away and come back and go away again, and all that similar silliness.

Last edited:

The Ring of Winter was one of the worst Realms books I've read... the wombats were so out of left field. The book should basically just be retitled: WTF - The Novel. I read it hoping it would give me some more useful lore and background for a Chult-based campaign. Let's just say I was very disappointed.

As much as I enjoy revisiting old TSR fiction, I'll be the first to admit that it generally sets a low bar.

Dire Bare

Legend
I read on a Dragonlance FB group that W&H wanted Summer Flame to be an entire trilogy, but TSR were desperate for money and said no, so three books of plot was unsatisfyingly crammed into one novel. Which i've never quite understood, surely TSR could have made more money out of three novels rather than one? Still, i don't think it would have saved Summer Flame for me.

The Lost Chronicles books, from about 2007 I think, were a much better read. Basically filling in the gaps in the original trilogy. Thorbardin and Skullcap, Icewall, Kitiara and Soth, and what Raistlin got up to once he took the black robes.

There's some stuff I didn't really like in there (Flint and Sturm's characterization in the first book, the final battle against Feal-thaas, a few other bits and pieces) but on the whole, a much more satisfying read than any of the later-timeline books where all of a sudden some dragons are aliens and Takhisis steals the world, and the gods go away and come back and go away again, and all that similar silliness.
I've always felt that the "Second Generation" and "Dragons of Summer Flame" were unrealized potential for an epic series featuring, well, the second generation of heroes, the sons and daughters of the Heroes of the Lance. I'm not surprised Weis & Hickman felt the same way!

Remove ads