D&D 5E Common sense isn't so common and the need for tolerance

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Telegraphing, plus teaching your players to always state their goal and approach, neatly avoids such issues without a lot of negotiation at the table in my experience.

If I say that the zombie horde is primarily focused on feeding and make that clear via my description, it may come as no surprise to the players when the dead stop to munch on a dying character. If a player tells me that his or her character wants to cast silence (approach) so as to "blind" the bats (goal), then I can say "Yes, and..." to the approach and adjudicate accordingly. If the player just says "I cast silence on the bats," the DM may or may not think that this could effectively blind the bats. It might not even occur to him or her at all, even if he or she would believe that it would be effectively blinding to the bats.

Both telegraphing and stating a goal and approach are, essentially, just effective ways of conveying the "common sense" of the situation by setting expectations.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I'll see your Common Sense and raise you a Rule of Cool.

Not sure what the Rule of Fun is. We banned fun at our tables a long time ago. Too many arguments.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So, one thing I love about 5e is that goes back to the notion of rulings, not rules.

But that brings up a separate issue- when rulings are based on "common sense," how common is that sense?

I write this because recently, in a separate thread, I posited that the proverbial zombie horde, should they down a PC, would likely stop to feast on the downed PC (as opposed to letting the unconscious PC chill, make death saves, be healed, etc.).

Another poster wrote that "predators" generally wouldn't stop to eat a PC, because of the danger. (Think lions, gazelles, etc.).

Now, both of these are "common sense" ideas ... but are they true? One is a "common sense" application of, um, genre movies. Another is a common sense application of how many of our predators operate in the wild- but not all. Snakes, wolves, lions, bears, badgers (GIANT BADGERS?) would operate on different principles. It's a reasonable thing to say that most wildlife would not continue to attack a downed PC, but it's also a reasonable thing to say that most wildlife wouldn't attack a well-armed adventuring party, period. Just like it's reasonable to say that zombies behave like (many... slow, fast, etc.) genre zombies, but it could also be reasonable to say that they don't since D&D zombies are not movie zombies ... and ghouls and ghasts are more about the nibbles.

I was reminded of a thread some time ago when there was a discussion about casting silence on bats, and what that would do.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?477626-Bats-and-Silence

The first analysis (common sense) was that it would do nothing.
The second analysis (common sense) was that it would "blind" or "confuse" the bats, because of echolocation, and they would crash into each other.
The third analysis (common sense) was that it wouldn't blind or confuse the bats, because while they do use echolocation, that's not the sum of their senses. It very likely could frighten the bats, however. (My favorite pull quote, "Bats actually have decent vision").

(There was also a long discussion about whether characters would even know to cast silence on bats, but that's a separate discussion!)

In effect, three "common sense" approaches, two science-y, with different results. Which is right? I would posit ... it doesn't matter.

Part of the problem with rulings, not rules, in a game system is that it requires adjudications like this. The more rich and detailed the game world created by the DM, the more freedom given to players to do things outside of the relatively detailed combat rules, the higher the probability that the DM will have to make an adjudication based on the DM's common sense; even if that is simply to set the level of the DC check.

And that's why rulings, not rules, requires a level of tolerance and trust at a table. Because not everyone has the same ideas, or the same "common sense" as to what should be the case. The bat/silence thread was a great example of that. Different DMs might have rules of thumb (such as the proverbial "rule of fun" - rule for the most fun result for the party) to help them, but the end result is that only through a level of trust and respect at the table combined with an understanding that there will necessarily be different perspectives on issues* can rulings, not rules, work.

*For example, see any thread here.

Case in point, many predators do continue to attack prey after killing it. The real driving factor is the reason for the attack. If it's to eat, then, yes, they will kill their overtaken prey. Dogs and cats bite and shake, for instance, as do their large cousins wolves and big cats. If the animal is attacking to defend territory or dens, they'll accept driving off the target. Bears, brown, black, and grizzly, are a good example of dangerous predators that're usually not interested in eating people and will often stop attacking once the prey is knocked down and no longer a threat. Polar bears are not, as they look at people as food.

But, to circle back to your point, the correct ruling is the one that works at the table, and the best common sense is the sense that's common to that table, so what predatory animals do in real life is neither here nor there at the gaming table.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Agreed; this is a way of stating the communication (in this case, in-game) is paramount.

But while it helps avoid many issues, it doesn't avoid all issues.

Good descriptions from the DM ("The ravenous zombie horde ... etc.") helps inform the party of the DM's a priori common sense ideas.

Clearly stating a goal ("I cast silence to blind the bats") helps inform the DM as to the player's a priori common sense ideas.

But while these address communicating the a priori ideas, they do not resolve issues regarding conflicts of "common sense" ideas.

To bring up the bat example, a DM with varying levels of scientific knowledge may have a different response as to the effectiveness of that tactic. Or, perhaps, defer to the rule of fun. It's the same in a vast number of situations (swimming with different types of armor and/or encumbrance, illumination issues, availability of items in a town not expressly provided for, behavior of creatures that are similar to those in our world/similar to genre archetypes, etc.).

The DM's ruling stands in any case. If he or she wants to say the action fails, then it does. Maybe the DM allows for some reversies. However, I would say a good rule of thumb for the DM is that if he or she hasn't telegraphed that something won't work, then it works (or there's uncertainty). So, while the zoologist DM thinks silence wouldn't blind bats, if he or she hasn't telegraphed that to be the case in some way, then it's at least uncertain.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
The DM's ruling stands in any case. If he or she wants to say the action fails, then it does. Maybe the DM allows for some reversies. However, I would say a good rule of thumb for the DM is that if he or she hasn't telegraphed that something won't work, then it works (or there's uncertainty). So, while the zoologist DM thinks silence wouldn't blind bats, if he or she hasn't telegraphed that to be the case in some way, then it's at least uncertain.

Yeah, that's pretty much how we run things. DM ruling stands - maybe some wiggle room or open question to the group for a vote if there's time but really, keeping the pace of play is more important. The understanding is, of course, that we can talk about it after.

Sure, consistency is something to strive for and of course fun should be the focus but sometimes human nature and different experiences that inform often mean a consensus isn't going to present itself in a timely manner.

As long as folks realise its a game and not a science debate, then I believe things are a lot easier. It's ok for someone to be wrong, less so for folks to commit to an argument.

I’ve really been trying to allow wacky creative ideas to work in my campaigns, to balance both common sense and the rule of cool. When I’m unsure of a ruling, I tell the group “I’m going to allow this now, but by next session I will do some research and come back with a formal ruling.”

Where all this withers on the vine is with rules lawyers that wait to pounce on every ruling for a loophole they can take advantage of, or what they view as a contradiction they can exploit or gripe about.

Really guys, if you want to go back to adversarial, DM vs. players style gaming, we can do that. I just don’t think any of us are going to enjoy that.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
To bring up the bat example, a DM with varying levels of scientific knowledge may have a different response as to the effectiveness of that tactic. Or, perhaps, defer to the rule of fun. It's the same in a vast number of situations (swimming with different types of armor and/or encumbrance, illumination issues, availability of items in a town not expressly provided for, behavior of creatures that are similar to those in our world/similar to genre archetypes, etc.).

We use whoever knows the most about a subjects version of common sense, cause I know Bob knows more about hydrodynamics than I do.

And of course Bob respectfully does not bring up things that really don't matter just to prove a point..

Remove ads