D&D 5E Is there any indication that WotC will launch a new setting?

I have no idea if it was successful per se...but they have stated that they are putting setting material into APs in the future, rather than setting guides as such.
They probably also don't want to compete with SCAG. They only need one book like that.

Plus, it was kinda filling in the gaps left by the much smaller and less sandbox Tyranny of Dragons adventure. They were still working on format there...

Hussar

Legend
Umm, folks, why does WotC need to bang out a new setting? There are TWENTY 5e settings out there for you to buy RIGHT NOW.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...the-Third-Party-5th-Edition-Campaign-Settings

How many 5e settings do you really want? We're 3 years into the the edition. So, that's floating around a new setting every six months coming out. And some of those settings, like Farland, have more material for them than you can shake a stick at.

So tell me again why WotC needs to do this when we've already got a schmozzle (the proper plural term for a lot of settings) of settings in print, right now?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Umm, folks, why does WotC need to bang out a new setting? There are TWENTY 5e settings out there for you to buy RIGHT NOW.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...the-Third-Party-5th-Edition-Campaign-Settings

How many 5e settings do you really want? We're 3 years into the the edition. So, that's floating around a new setting every six months coming out. And some of those settings, like Farland, have more material for them than you can shake a stick at.

So tell me again why WotC needs to do this when we've already got a schmozzle (the proper plural term for a lot of settings) of settings in print, right now?
Not to mention all the previous editions material on the DMs Guild or used bookstores. My 3E FR Guide works fine for 5E, as does my PDF of 1E Greyhawk.

Hussar

Legend
And there's some real money issues involved right now. WotC has stated that they want every supplement to hit that 100k sales mark. So far, they seem to have been hitting that target pretty well. And they are quite content to have huge lead up times to new books. I mean, Xanathar's has been in the works for almost two years - between all the UA articles on class and whatnot. That's unheard of for an RPG book.

There's also the point that there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for setting books, despite forum posts. None of those 20 settings are setting any sort of sales records. And, adding to that, if that 100k benchmark is true, virtually no setting book has ever reached those numbers. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but, they are very few and far between. Probably 99% of setting guides would be considered abject sales failures by the current benchmark.

So, if you want a new setting guide, start buying the ones that are already out there. Show WotC that there is demand for setting guides. THEN they'll give you what you want. Otherwise, it's just not going to happen. Why would they bother publishing a book that they know won't sell to the levels they want?

What I can see happening though is gradually opening up settings on DM's Guild in conjunction with new adventure paths. We are slowly seeing a bit of that with things like the Tortles and Ravenloft. Hopefully as new AP's come out, they'll loosen restrictions and you'll see 3rd party publishers picking up the slack on DM'sG.

But, IMO, the days of WotC banging out setting guides like we saw previously are long gone. It's just not going to happen. There's just not enough money in it.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Even if we don't see a full campaign book, perhaps a Sword Coast style book, or Adventure module set in the other settings. My preference would be Eberron, with side bars to integrate it to FR, Greyhawk, DL and so forth. We've sorta had modules that could be transposed to Greyhawk from the FR adjusted modules. And one full book and AL season set in Ravenloft. Also, I'd like to see them visit more areas of FR, Al Qadim, and the Far East.

I'm a Greyhawk fan. That said, I'd rather see support for Eberron, Kara Tur, Al Qadim, Dark Sun (even though I'm personally sick of it), and other settings that require distinct mechanical support. I have what I need to run a Greyhawk campaign (could always use some more classic monsters, but I'm willing to share those with the Realms and other settings).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And there's some real money issues involved right now. WotC has stated that they want every supplement to hit that 100k sales mark. So far, they seem to have been hitting that target pretty well. And they are quite content to have huge lead up times to new books. I mean, Xanathar's has been in the works for almost two years - between all the UA articles on class and whatnot. That's unheard of for an RPG book.

There's also the point that there doesn't seem to be a huge demand for setting books, despite forum posts. None of those 20 settings are setting any sort of sales records. And, adding to that, if that 100k benchmark is true, virtually no setting book has ever reached those numbers. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but, they are very few and far between. Probably 99% of setting guides would be considered abject sales failures by the current benchmark.

So, if you want a new setting guide, start buying the ones that are already out there. Show WotC that there is demand for setting guides. THEN they'll give you what you want. Otherwise, it's just not going to happen. Why would they bother publishing a book that they know won't sell to the levels they want?

What I can see happening though is gradually opening up settings on DM's Guild in conjunction with new adventure paths. We are slowly seeing a bit of that with things like the Tortles and Ravenloft. Hopefully as new AP's come out, they'll loosen restrictions and you'll see 3rd party publishers picking up the slack on DM'sG.

But, IMO, the days of WotC banging out setting guides like we saw previously are long gone. It's just not going to happen. There's just not enough money in it.

So, to go back to the Art of Magic: the Gathering books, James Wyatt has said the goal with these coffee table books is to be system neutral, rules free campaign settings guides. They are happily putting out two of these a year. The Art of Dungeons & Dragons: Greyhawk seems like a better sell than a rulebook.

Hussar

Legend
So, to go back to the Art of Magic: the Gathering books, James Wyatt has said the goal with these coffee table books is to be system neutral, rules free campaign settings guides. They are happily putting out two of these a year. The Art of Dungeons & Dragons: Greyhawk seems like a better sell than a rulebook.

While I haven't seen the "Art of" books (living in Japan means they just don't hit the shelves and I'm not quite all that interested), the D&D translations of these books have been freaking fantastic. There's three of them now? I believe. And, other than some cartography, there's everything you need to run those settings right there in those PDF's.

So, I guess that's 23 5e settings out there right now. :D

Parmandur

Book-Friend
While I haven't seen the "Art of" books (living in Japan means they just don't hit the shelves and I'm not quite all that interested), the D&D translations of these books have been freaking fantastic. There's three of them now? I believe. And, other than some cartography, there's everything you need to run those settings right there in those PDF's.

So, I guess that's 23 5e settings out there right now. :D
Four, I believe: what is in the books that the PDFs merely summarize is relevant setting material for a DM, by intended design: history, details, hooks, etc.

I really do expect we will see similar books for D&D world's, rules lite if not rules free entirely. But maybe with maps.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
It is the exception that, as they say, proves the rule.
You do know that at the time that expression was coined, to "prove" a rule meant to put it to the test, right?

From what I've read of SCAG and Volo's, there isn't one sentence in either that isn't compatible with The Forgotten Realms.
... So? The Forgotten Realms is a large setting that incorporates a ton of options. Why is it important to have something in a book that doesn't fit it?

With 5e we've seen the incorporation of elements formerly set on other worlds. Most recently, we saw the assimilation of the formerly unique to Mystara Tortle move to the Realms.

When Forgotten Realms has everything, there will be no need for other worlds.
So why didn't they just move Strahd to the Forgotten Realms, then? Before the adventure came out, there was fairly widespread speculation that they'd do just that.

Remove ads