D&D 5E Is there any indication that WotC will launch a new setting?

pkt77242

Explorer
Sure but that's speculation.

What's increasingly like cold hard facts is:

There is no setting support at all for any setting during the first FIVE years of 5th edition, except Forgotten Realms, and even there the support is pretty minimal.

The conclusion is: We won't get campaign gazetteers any more. They don't drive sales of toys and board games.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Hasn't 5th edition only been out for 3 years?

Also, isn't it possible that Campaign Setting books don't sell as well as other types of books (adventures, monster books, player option expansions, etc)?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is the exception that, as they say, proves the rule. There non - adventure supplements so far. One is about the Forgotten Realms and the other two are branded with FR characters. From what I've read of SCAG and Volo's, there isn't one sentence in either that isn't compatible with The Forgotten Realms. I suspect the same will be true with Everything.

With 5e we've seen the incorporation of elements formerly set on other worlds. Most recently, we saw the assimilation of the formerly unique to Mystara Tortle move to the Realms.

When Forgotten Realms has everything, there will be no need for other worlds.
There is approximately nothing about the Forgotten Realms in Volo's Guide, actually: the Yuan-Ti chapter is pretty brazenly not about FR Yuan-Ti at all, even.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure but that's speculation.

What's increasingly like cold hard facts is:

There is no setting support at all for any setting during the first FIVE years of 5th edition, except Forgotten Realms, and even there the support is pretty minimal.

The conclusion is: We won't get campaign gazetteers any more. They don't drive sales of toys and board games.

Well, nope: even SCAG appears to have been slightly disappointing to WotC, compared to just putting gazeeters in adventure books, the new normal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How many years are the gaming community willing to just take their word for it, I gather.

I find it increasingly baffling how people are simply going along with this. I would have thought WotC would have been buried under an avalanche of complaints about lack of setting support by now, so very many years after release.

I sure hope you all won't be upset when WotC, in just a few years from now, announce 6th edition (or 5th edition Enhanced...) and the cycle starts over again.

I'm amazed how accepting you lot all seem to be of the fact D&D is mostly there to make Hasbro money on movies, toys and games... With the actual rpg as a sideshow run on the cheap with just a handful of devs...

Well, first, I really, really want Has to to make Decisions&D movies, toys and games: take my money, guys! That's a feature, not a bug: think of the children, dude.

Secondly, the majority of players Homebrew, so don't care about setting support at all, and the overwhelming majority of the remainder are Forgotten Realms fans, so are either happy or complaining about the lack of Forgotten Realms material (you can find plenty of that out there.). So, folks aren't holding their breath in hopes the plan changes: we like the plan.

It is the exception that, as they say, proves the rule.
Ummm... no it doesn't.

It proves they're willing to do things set in other worlds when it fits.
Like they did with Tales from the Yawning Portal that has four of its adventures set in Greyhawk.

There non - adventure supplements so far. One is about the Forgotten Realms and the other two are branded with FR characters. From what I've read of SCAG and Volo's, there isn't one sentence in either that isn't compatible with The Forgotten Realms. I suspect the same will be true with Everything.
Except for the whole orc, goblin and kobold sections, which use the classical Greyhawk demihuman gods.
And most of the other sections (gnolls, kobolds, yuan-ti, etc) are setting neutral.

It's only FR in that Volo and Elminster are "talking". If you ignore those small sidebars and flavour it could have been a 3e setting "neutral" generic D&D book.

With 5e we've seen the incorporation of elements formerly set on other worlds. Most recently, we saw the assimilation of the formerly unique to Mystara Tortle move to the Realms.
Are you seriously taking something the D&D team did explicitly because of fan demand, tied it into their big 2017 storyline rather than just making it a throw-away product, and then released as a PDF product with all the money going to charity that benefits sick children... and throwing it in their face for "stealing" Mystara content??

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Tomb of Annihilation specifically suggests setting the AP in Mystara on the Savage Coast, where dwelleth the Tortles.

Volo's Guide also has quotes from Greyhawk NPCs, including several of the 3.x iconics...

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Even if we don't see a full campaign book, perhaps a Sword Coast style book, or Adventure module set in the other settings. My preference would be Eberron, with side bars to integrate it to FR, Greyhawk, DL and so forth. We've sorta had modules that could be transposed to Greyhawk from the FR adjusted modules. And one full book and AL season set in Ravenloft. Also, I'd like to see them visit more areas of FR, Al Qadim, and the Far East.

Zippee

First Post
When Forgotten Realms has everything, there will be no need for other worlds.

Even if FR had nothing there would be no need for other [official] worlds - because the expectation is that you play in some form of homebrew world. Even if it started as a published setting, one session in and your canon is unique.

In other words the expectation is that there will be / are a near infinite number of other worlds. But WotC needs to sell product, because: business. So they keep product tied to a reasonably generic baseline fantasy world that most can plug into their own worlds. They could have used Greyhawk instead of FR for this but the other settings wouldn't work as 'generic fantasy world'.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Even if FR had nothing there would be no need for other [official] worlds - because the expectation is that you play in some form of homebrew world. Even if it started as a published setting, one session in and your canon is unique.

In other words the expectation is that there will be / are a near infinite number of other worlds. But WotC needs to sell product, because: business. So they keep product tied to a reasonably generic baseline fantasy world that most can plug into their own worlds. They could have used Greyhawk instead of FR for this but the other settings wouldn't work as 'generic fantasy world'.
Mystara would work, too, but FR has the business advantage, so gets to be the generic example.

Remove ads