D&D 5E Full contents leak for Xanathar's Guide

extralead

First Post
My favorite early-level class is the Fighter. My favorite mid-level class is the Rogue. I prefer playing in parties or DMing parties before they reach level 11, but maybe they reach level 11 before the last, final boss. If I were to start a class at level 10 or 11 (or know for sure that we are playing that far into a campaign), I love the Cleric. I think that Druids and Wizards are extremely-powerful, but I'd rather be in a party with those classes; they just aren't my style.

I don't like the Bard. Maybe if you multiclass Bard with at least one level of Wizard in there to get non-prepared rituals. I don't like multiclassing, which compounds that suggestion. I like to stick to doing one-thing well.

XGtE is making the Ranger better. I hope it also makes the Paladin and the Warlock better. I'm not convinced it has the oomph to make the Bard better, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

The Cleric of the Light Domain is amazing. I know that many do not agree, but I think the Forge Domain is amazing, too. Even Knowledge Domain is outstanding.

The standard/default Thief subclass is the most-interesting to me. The Swashbuckler and Assassin just seem like posers to me.

The Barbarian and the Sorcerer tend to be specialized to a single campaign. I do like them, but my spellcaster of choice will always be Cleric and my jump-around combat clown will likely be a Fighter or a Rogue.

My favorite is to match up factions and trinkets with character backgrounds and classes/subclasses. Consider:
1. Far-traveler Wood Elf Cleric Light Domain (Emerald Enclave, with a nature-related trinket)
2. Anthropologist Scourge Aasimar Storm Sorcerer (The Harpers, with an alabaster mask)
3. Archaeologist Human-variant Fighter Cavalier (The Zhentarim, with some city-related trinket)
4. Sailor Human-variant Cleric Forge Domain (Order of the Gauntlet, with the knucklebone skull dice)
5. Noble Human-variant Rogue Thief (Lords' Alliance, with some war-related trinket)

It certainly makes these forums more interesting, as there's more than just the usual conversations that happen over and over again. :D

Agreed! There's a new and somewhat different topic every day rather than the usual complaints. It gives me a reason to read the forums more often.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yep that was definitely a letdown for me

I always thought that the Draconic Sorcerer type should have run AC bonus off CON anyway. Dragons and their kind are associated by being tough as opposed to nimble.

Stone Sorcerer is pretty fun to play. As a theme its tight and focused, which is good IMO. Sorcerers should have elementalist-type focuses, it sort of a stereotype.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
All 3 Barbarian Sublcasses from UA, Gloom Stalker Ranger, which I hope is descended from the Deepstalker Ranger. Finally something for me in these class options!

Geeknamese

Explorer
I have mixed opinions on the subclasses. I'm really disappointed at the inclusion of kensei, hexblade, and redemption paladin (assuming that's the pacifist one, I can't remember its exact title) since all of those ones were pretty garbage mechanically. Depending on how much changed from the playtest, those ones might be some of the first banned options of 5th edition.

Aww...Oath of Redemption Paladin is one of my favorite paladin subclasses. It has so much flavor and fluff that would be fun to roleplay. There are a couple things that are kind of wonky like the MADness of the class with the simple weapons limitation but everything else is pretty cool. The class has a whole lot of potential in the social pillar.

I'm also super stoked that the Circle of the Shepherd Druid made it in. It needs just a tad bit more polish but it's the closest thing to a shaman class and come on, at-will speech with animals is awesome and boosted summons!

I have no problem with the Cha-focused hexblade. Still not as powerful as the blaster warlock and it would be thematic for the non-hero char who finds an intelligent sword and makes a pact with it. If the physically weak character has the strength of heart/character, the sword fights for it reflecting Charisma as the Attack stat. The hapless hero with the incredible sword. Kind of like The Greatest American Hero.

Remove ads