D&D 5E Forget about the treasure and pricing system of 5E!

It's still a lot of work and something that WotC should have taken care of for us.

I'm starting to feel the issue of worthless gold is 5E's biggest failing.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Wait a minute. Let's look at lifestyle costs. You can live like a Trump on what, 10 gold a month?

erm, no? It's in the PHB! Aristocratic lifestyle *starts* at 10 gp per DAY. Triple that for Trump (who has expensive tastes but isn't the most extravagant ever) and you're looking at almost 11 000 gp per year.

A modest lifestyle is 1 gp/day (or 365 gp/year). Poor is 2 sp a day.

Given how bad your starting point was, you will have to start over, sorry :/

CapnZapp

Legend
Please note, that it is NOT the intention of this thread to discuss whether or not prices and/or gold distribution of the RAW are broken or not. The assumption of this thread is that both are broken. I neither want to prove that nor do I want to discuss that. It's my intention to find out a reliable way of gold distribution concerning Sane Magic Item Prices. Please keep that in mind, because I don't want this discussion to take the wrong direction.
Sadly, EN World does not provide a way to mark your threads as "don't question the premise or you'll be moderated as going off-topic", and as I have had the painful experience, this community is filled with people that absolutely refuse to stay out of a discussion out of respect for the assumptions it's built on.

In other words, you can expect trolls to try their utmost to derail your thread so it won't be about constructive solutions to the issues you posit - instead trying to wrest the narrative to instead question your assumptions at every step of the way. This has happened to me, to the extent that the mods have simply closed down the thread for bickering too much. This, of course, is "mission accomplished" to those that can't accept your premises, and a failure for ENWorld as a community.

TL;DR: Expect people to sh*t all over your nicely put request.

CapnZapp

Legend
erm, no? It's in the PHB! Aristocratic lifestyle *starts* at 10 gp per DAY. Triple that for Trump (who has expensive tastes but isn't the most extravagant ever) and you're looking at almost 11 000 gp per year.

A modest lifestyle is 1 gp/day (or 365 gp/year). Poor is 2 sp a day.
Given how this is light-years away from anything even remotely resembling the adventurer's practical daily life, I can't even begin to understand why you would want to bring it up.

Adventurers don't sit in Trump Towers. They camp outside in the rain. There is zero upkeep.

And since you level up from 1 to 15 during much less time than a year (that's not my claim, that's a FACT easily shown by... leafing through EVERY SINGLE official module released by WotC) you go from having paybe 50 gp in your pocket to having maybe 25,000 gp (again, not my made-up number - official numbers from official tables in the very official DMG used verbatim by modules like Storm King's Thunder)

Deduct the 365 gp for expense and... Even if we generously round up to 4,000 gold a year, you should see where this is heading... Yeah, that's right: it doesn't matter one tiny bit.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Given how this is light-years away from anything even remotely resembling the adventurer's practical daily life, I can't even begin to understand why you would want to bring it up.

Adventurers don't sit in Trump Towers. They camp outside in the rain. There is zero upkeep.

I brought this up because someone else did, and had wildly inaccurate numbers on which to build their argument.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Even if my numbers were off, since i was admittedly, away from my book, it doesn't make anything less absurd- selling a suit of plate lets you live like a 1%'r for a couple months. Now I've already been told asking for any verisimilitude with regards to D&D money is not the point of this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases