D&D 5E Forget about the treasure and pricing system of 5E!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I think it stems from the removal of "Gold" as "XP" ... back in the day getting millions of gold was leveling up your character. Also, the aspirations were about being a lord, or master of a guild.

Video game version of D&D needed to define everything you could spend money on. In many games you had massive hyper inflation of your gold with no use because the game couldn't define everything. years and years of development they have gotten a lot better.

3e made it get tons of loot, sell it in mass, and buy better loot and 4e was a bit simpler but nevertheless was about the same.

I think 5e was trying to get away from Gold = Magical Item Power creep as the default way to play and leave it up to the DMs and Players to define it.

For many, it is too free and requires a lot of work to define. Others, it's fine. Personally, I dont mind it because I dont like magic item shops and players collecting massive hoards of gold ... gold is heavy. but, I know I am not the only player type out there.

I was making an old school style campaign with a more heavy get treasure theme and I was adding (but never finished) a trade in gold to level up your "wealth" and "party benefits" It basically came down to hit certain gold benchmarks and your wealth benefits go up. A lot of social and monetary power benefits. Magic items are still hard to get but because your wealth tier is higher you can access more avenues for getting them. Party benefits was more "donate" and sink X amount of gold to upgrade your Party Benefits. It was a system that made the adventuring party into a "class" that can level and it needed gold to buy benefits from it. basically, a consumable sink of gold. I never finished either but it was my solution, and it's not for everyone.

So, I'm semi-necroing this thread to advertise for a product that may be helpful (review of which I linked to in my quoted post). The Comprehensive Equipment Manual was a brilliant piece of work (read the review) but have now been updated with comprehensive rules for crafting, selling, and buying magic items, in a "closed system", that takes into consideration both rarity and power of the item. I've only skimmed it but it looks extremely solid, either to use as is, or to use as basis for further development on your own.
Recommended, and something that might be a solution for many of us.

Here's a link to a preview page: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226761/PREVIEW-The-Comprehensive-Equipment-Manual-Revised

Remove ads