The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

Agreed. If a MSRP of $50 is prohibitive (or if you don't have a FLGS) DDB or Amazon provide cheaper alternatives. Or B&N with a members card and / or coupon. Or piece meal it on DDB, or buy a (soon to be) used copy, or just don't buy it. I can understand some people being disappointed in the table of contents (although I like to see the actual content before I make a final judgment), and wanting a different book, but in the end, as Yoda might say, "buy or buy not. There is no try". Hopefully the disappointed people find other content more to their liking. If enough people don't buy it, WotC will notice and adjust their strategy I'd imagine...

Personally, I would love to see some international pricing on D&D Beyond. $50 is half of what the average family lives on where I am, and shipping from Amazon is about $16 alone. It isn't restrictive for me, but I know that not one of my players will ever buy a single book; the price is too restrictive. Until then, they will continue to pirate everything. Unless they can afford to buy the books, they'll find the content for free, anyway, and are happily looking forward the release of XGtE.

Li Shenron

Legend
So now we know why it was so important to have the SCAG reprints... without them, AL players wouldn't be able to have a character name!

Except Arcana Clerics and Undying Warlocks of course, those deserve to remain nameless.

I do agree that $50 for effectively 150 pgs after removing filler/reprint is on the steep side. At least it has a sizable amount of that is useful crunch so I will still be buying it for the sub-classes mainly. I also appreciate the playtesting and feedback that went into them as well so I'm not going to sweat the $10.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I think there's some great GM stuff in here. The lists of names are invaluable for improvising imo, all in one spot, no need to google it and sift through the dross, etc.

BMaC

Adventurer
At only three books a year I would appreciate it if WotC was more ambitious with its releases. They should call this "UA's revised guide to subclasses"

martinlochsen

Explorer
I think the biggest problem with this book really, is that it lacks anything that makes me excited. It seems to cover a lot of stuff that I never thought was missing from the game. Most of the content seems fine. I find nothing here to be hostile to (except the SCAG reprints - it's a really weird decision to include those, AL or no AL), but there's nothing that makes me say "Yay, finally! There's that thing that I wanted!".

WoTC is doing a real good job getting feedback on the designs they are making, but I wonder if they should pay more attention to what content people actually want, in stead of just checking if people like the stuff they have already made? There are so many things people seem to be asking for in the forums around the net, and none of that is in the book. Rules on psionics, better crafting rules, perhaps a full blown Gish class, instead of the plethora of subclasses that seem to be rather controversial, most of them, just to name a few.

I'll probably buy the book, but all in all it's a bit disappointing, more because of what isn't there, than because of what is.

I think it is funny that people are getting so worked up over 4 whole subclasses from another book being reprinted in this, while I see no one getting all upset of all the spells being reprinted from the FREE Elemental Evil Player's Guide.

Also, I am guessing that a lot of the people upset about the name lists are old-timers when it comes to gaming? Unfortunately for those of us that describes, 5E books are aimed just as much at new gamers as at old gamers, maybe even more. Sure, the lists may not be useful when doing things in advance, but for someone new to gaming, who has maybe never had to sit at a table before, trying to think up a name for their new character, it is very helpful to them being able to flip through a few pages and scan lists of names for one they like.

guachi

Hero
Oddly, the day before this table of contents was posted I had need of a meme and stumbled upon the great Fantasy Name Generator site. Really good.

Also, my old D&D Gazetteers had names in then (very appropriate there) and most/all had the list in a smaller font and it only took up part of a page. It's like they realized it'd be wasting space to make it larger. Further, if you put the names in columnar format you should be able to fit hundreds of names on a page. We'd better get lots and lots of names.

That being said, the internet is still a better place to get names as you can get context for how names are actually created rather then randomly picking things from a list.

Lastly, if you actually want real authentic accurate names that are easy to find, I recommend going to websites for a country's Congress or Parliament and lifting names from that.

Remove ads

Remove ads