The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

A lot of good stuff there. Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see. Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

A lot of good stuff there.

Of course, on the DM side, a lot of stuff is not there, but I like what I see.

Actually, one of the most useful things will be the appendix of sample names.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Would it really be such a turnoff if they'd placed the 4e style notation at the top (or bottom) of each spell entry as a quick-reference aid and used the 3e style for the paragraphs of description? Because that way you'd get the rules buried in paragraphs of text as you like and people like me would get the quick reference we'd like without having to shell out extra money for stupid spell cards.

You don't have to shell out money for spell cards if you simply create your own props or crib sheets prior to the game. Back in the day I used to ask spell casters to do this as a real life equivalent of their character's main or traveling spell books simply so the game would run faster.

KB

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I have my concerns: why there are in this book so many previously published subclasses, as the rogue Mastermind or Storm sorcery? There are a lot of spells also that already were in the Elemental Evil Companion. There is also the cleric's domains, that I didn't quite like in prior versions in the UA. I believe that this book may have serious balancing issues.

Balancing issues happen at the table, not the publisher.

All the authors can do is keep a general eye on playability and balance in play-test. Everything in every book has the chance of being unbalanced at the table because players are good at interpreting rules in their favor and DM's are in many cases less skilled at managing expectations without losing their group.

Erechel

Explorer
Balancing issues happen at the table, not the publisher.

All the authors can do is keep a general eye on playability and balance in play-test. Everything in every book has the chance of being unbalanced at the table because players are good at interpreting rules in their favor and DM's are in many cases less skilled at managing expectations without losing their group.

You are saying nothing. You are denying the very existence of balance. There is several definitions of balance, but there are, nevertheless. Of course they happen at a table, but they are generated in the rules. If you are a fighter with 3 HP and one attack, and your cleric friend has 25 HP, three attacks and spellcasting at the same level, there is a balancing issue.

Remove ads

Remove ads